Homebrew RetroArch Switch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Question! Can anyone get TWISTED METAL 2 for PSX to work? I simply cannot :(Tried a PBP. I can't seem to find a bin/cue version.
Do you really want to continue the "give me personal support service" on every game Retroarch supports fallacy? I'm just asking - because in your best case scenario the following happens:

"I couldnt find a bin/cue of the game"
A: I found one within 2 seconds googling for ISO and the game name. 4 minutes and a download of a 7zip ed "iso" later I could confirm, that I had a bin/cues's

Which looked like the following:
BBalCla.png

So my first thought was - this is one of those multibin games, PCSX reportedly has issues with. Reportedly as in mentioned in here about 5-10 times already.

I then made a "single bin/cue" out of the game, as mentioned in here three times already, using chdman and the following method: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/to...n-and-then-pbp/?do=findComment&comment=277997

I then made a pbp out of the "single bin/cue" using psx2pbp.

68C5fkO.jpg

Loading the pbp had the game booting up, but crashing on the title screen once I selected 1 player.

Same with the "single bin/cue".

Same with the original "multiple bin/cue".
--

- All information on how to check this, was available in this thread.
- To find the game as a bin/cue took 2 seconds, and 4 minutes to confirm (downloading)
- To create all possible files PCSXRearmed can work with as well as testing them took about one hour and 15 minutes (on a low powered system)
- Looking at the initial files list seeing 12 bins, and thinking "I know where this is going" - took 2 seconds after the first 4 minutes and two seconds

You didnt mention your error profile at all. you didn't mention that this is a 12 bin game. You just asked if someone could help you make it work.

What happens here - probably - is the game loading up fine, but when 1 player is selected - its trying to access a bin (sound or data file) that doesnt get grabbed, because of a known PCSXRearmed issue - and then it crashes.

Format has nothing to do with it at all.

Now - that I worked one and a half hours (including typing out this report) for you, on a game I have no interest in at all - I have one question for you as well.

Do you find this funny? Follow up: Why do you always expect others to do the work for you? How come, I know every actual contributer to this scene by name by now - and how come, I had to learn maybe two new names withing the past three months (that I could add to this list)?

There was no additional logic, or new information required to find this out - every piece of information was in this thread already - someone just had to do it.

To retroarch maintainers: The multi bin issue is a PCSXRearmed issue regardless of format - do use this information as you see fit. I was tired of telling three people already how to check this - and none of them coming back with any information, so I did it myself this time.

All smiles.

n.

Last edited by notimp,

rasqba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To retroarch maintainers: The multi bin issue is a PCSXRearmed issue regardless of format - do use this information as you see fit.

Just wanted to confirm I tried it with a different multi-bin game - Return Fire (PSX).
Exactly same results as you - with multi-bin, single bin/cue, pbp, img/cue.
Game loads fine but as soon as it tries to acces music files - crash.
It is possible to make the game work fine by using the single data track, without all the music CDDA tracks. Everything works perfect then, just without the background music.

The multi-bin version works fine on PC version of Retroarch with the PCSX-Rearmed core.

Thanks for your work and I'm really looking forward to someone with more knowledge than me trying to find a work-around or fix for this issue.

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to confirm I tried it with a different multi-bin game - Return Fire (PSX).
Exactly same results as you - with multi-bin, single bin/cue, pbp, img/cue.
Game loads fine but as soon as it tries to acces music files - crash.
It is possible to make the game work fine by using the single data track, without all the music CDDA tracks. Everything works perfect then, just without the background music.

The multi-bin version works fine on PC version of Retroarch with the PCSX-Rearmed core.

Thanks for your work and I'm really looking forward to someone with more knowledge than me trying to find a work-around or fix for this issue.
the multibin issue is known for switch PCSX-Rearmed core there is no fix atm

Plex7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you really want to continue the "give me personal support service" on every game Retroarch supports fallacy? I'm just asking - because in your best case scenario the following happens:

"I couldnt find a bin/cue of the game"
A: I found one within 2 seconds googling for ISO and the game name. 4 minutes and a download of a 7zip ed "iso" later I could confirm, that I had a bin/cues's

Which looked like the following:
BBalCla.png

So my first thought was - this is one of those multibin games, PCSX reportedly has issues with. Reportedly as in mentioned in here about 5-10 times already.

I then made a "single bin/cue" out of the game, as mentioned in here three times already, using chdman and the following method: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/to...n-and-then-pbp/?do=findComment&comment=277997

I then made a pbp out of the "single bin/cue" using psx2pbp.

68C5fkO.jpg

Loading the pbp had the game booting up, but crashing on the title screen once I selected 1 player.

Same with the "single bin/cue".

Same with the original "multiple bin/cue".
--

- All information on how to check this, was available in this thread.
- To find the game as a bin/cue took 2 seconds, and 4 minutes to confirm (downloading)
- To create all possible files PCSXRearmed can work with as well as testing them took about one hour and 15 minutes (on a low powered system)
- Looking at the initial files list seeing 12 bins, and thinking "I know where this is going" - took 2 seconds after the first 4 minutes and two seconds

You didnt mention your error profile at all. you didn't mention that this is a 12 bin game. You just asked if someone could help you make it work.

What happens here - probably - is the game loading up fine, but when 1 player is selected - its trying to access a bin (sound or data file) that doesnt get grabbed, because of a known PCSXRearmed issue - and then it crashes.

Format has nothing to do with it at all.

Now - that I worked one and a half hours (including typing out this report) for you, on a game I have no interest in at all - I have one question for you as well.

Do you find this funny? Follow up: Why do you always expect others to do the work for you? How come, I know every actual contributer to this scene by name by now - and how come, I had to learn maybe two new names withing the past three months (that I could add to this list)?

There was no additional logic, or new information required to find this out - every piece of information was in this thread already - someone just had to do it.

To retroarch maintainers: The multi bin issue is a PCSXRearmed issue regardless of format - do use this information as you see fit. I was tired of telling three people already how to check this - and none of them coming back with any information, so I did it myself this time.

All smiles.

n.

I figured it out. Bad PBP. And I barely found those bin/cue files, ISO is more common. Works now. Thanks but no thanks for the HARSH reply, guy.

fallingrat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello there.

I just installed the last version of retroarch (nro version), but I get a black screen and have to restart my switch when I try to play a N64 game. It doesn't matter if I overclock it or not.

I have tried Majora's mask and Ocarina of time, but none of them are working.

I have tried also super mario world (snes) and it works fine.

Any ideas about how to solve it?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I figured it out. Bad PBP. And I barely found those bin/cue files, ISO is more common. Works now. Thanks but no thanks for the HARSH reply, guy.
Then I'm interested in how you got it to work, because from my perspective it shouldnt. :)

Here is the reason for the harsh reply. There are more than 100k titles Retroarch supports, I was quite sure that you wouldnt get the quick question/quick answer treatment you were in for - and there are probably at least a few hundred people out there who'd want to know how to get their favorite game to work.

The issue with multibin games has been mentioned in here several times before, possibly even with Twisted Metal 2 being used as an example.

i tried to give other people in here a few methods to try to get multibin games to run - none of them reported back with any of the results.

I always doubted, that file format plays a role in this (other than pbp packages created for PSP use - often dont work, even though psx2pbp derived pbp of the same game do), but now you are indicating, that you got it to work -- but dont want to mention how.

Quick question, quick answer, right? ;) (Never mention how you got it wrong, never mention how you got it right - just another personal support story).

Last edited by notimp,

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there.

I just installed the last version of retroarch (nro version), but I get a black screen and have to restart my switch when I try to play a N64 game. It doesn't matter if I overclock it or not.

I have tried Majora's mask and Ocarina of time, but none of them are working.

I have tried also super mario world (snes) and it works fine.

Any ideas about how to solve it?
install the nsp version for n64 games

Reactions: fallingrat

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just as clarification you dont have to use the nsp version - you just need to make sure, that retroarch gets more memory allocated, than it gets by launching it via gallery>hbmenu (to play N64 games).

Methods have been linked to two pages prior.

See:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-switch.492920/page-164#post-8406244

Another one would be to use: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/

Using the retroarch nsp build also works (as it also allocates more memory) but isnt the only possible method. :)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: fallingrat

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I really like that we can underclock the CPU as well, Some cores runs really well at the lowest clockspeed available, I hope this can extend the battery life significally.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i have do a clean install but the sound its all the time terrible.
Video > threaded video > ON
Forced to enable this for 32X and while waiting for a 64-bit dynarec (psx and N64) this is one of the reasons for the coming of the overclock ( brute force.)
You can also for some additional gain fps
Quick menu > option > framebuffer emulation > true > false
If you have 60 fps? Or Fullspeed (useless)

1/ Try Audio latency 64 at 128 doesn't work?

2/ try audio latency 64 , Dynamic audio rate control 0.000 audio maximum timing skew 0.000
Don't you have these settings in audio?
User interface > show advanced settings > on ( save and restart retroarch)

3 / Driver > audio driver > switch > null > Switch_thread ( try this )
Try this with either the little
1/ or either the 2/

Personally I use video_threaded On
With the small 2/ works perfectly with SuperMario64
Oc > high performance (1581 mhz )

Is that how your sound problems are?

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like that we can underclock the CPU as well, Some cores runs really well at the lowest clockspeed available, I hope this can extend the battery life significally.
There are underclock options, but it's doubtful it will increase battery life by much.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
There are underclock options, but it's doubtful it will increase battery life by much.

Well, I havnt really had time to test it much. But I don't see why it wouldn't.. Sure the GPU and the screen will still drain the battery the same but I would hope for at least maybe an extra 30 minutes.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I havnt really had time to test it much. But I don't see why it wouldn't.. Sure the GPU and the screen will still drain the battery the same but I would hope for at least maybe an extra 30 minutes.

The OC barely affects the battery life negatively. It's hard to imagine and underclock would benefit much.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Before you do, make sure that you have threaded video (video settings) and audio_thread (driver settings) enabled. Also disable framebuffer in Mupen core options. Mario 64 shouldnt have audio stutter with max OC.

Increasing sound latency is always a measure of last resort, which currently shouldnt be needed for any game.

Also coincidently, all things mentioned on the last four pages. :) (But not consolidated so - here you go. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.