Homebrew RetroArch Switch

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i launch ppayload from tegra and, select cfw, then album, it launcher hbmenu and load reatroarch. yep 32kb clusters Full format, not quick...
These are not reproduction steps.
Ranging from downloading your files, extracting. Getting the thumbnails.
Step. by. Step.

Danikaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
These are not reproduction steps.
Ranging from downloading your files, extracting. Getting the thumbnails.
Step. by. Step.
ok.
I use Retroarch Windows version to make playlist because its far faster, and use it too to download thumbnails.
download a full snes romset from mega.
uncompress snes romset with winrar to sd.
copy thumbnails from retroarch windows to retroarch switch in sd.
copy playlist from retroarch windows to retroarch switch.

and thats all i made and random black thumbnails and freezes.

without thumbnails it works great.

Bumblecito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually there's one big reason why not to support them, SXOS is closed source. If an issue exist it's made a lot harder to figure out of the issue is caused by RetroArch or by SXOS. The SX team is constantly pushing out broken updates and only making it harder to keep up with by having their source closed off. Why support them when they make it harder to support them? It's far easier and far more beneficial just focus on open source teams over them.
So is it mandatory to be open source to get support?
I've heard a lot of people say that they stole most of the code from atmosphere (which is open source) so it shouldn't be much difference between both os, should it?
But hey, I will not be offtopic this thread anymore thanks for replying and for developing retroarch.

Switchtime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Just a tip: for those who complained because of all the questions. The OP should simply update the FAQs. I mean the most important steps are not mentioned at all as for example the storage location of the Bios files and other simple questions.

I would write a tutorial myself but I haven't managed to start any game yet without RetroArch crashing. But I can write some faqs tonight which the OP can add to his first post, if he want to.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So is it mandatory to be open source to get support?
I've heard a lot of people say that they stole most of the code from atmosphere (which is open source) so it shouldn't be much difference between both os, should it?
But hey, I will not be offtopic this thread anymore thanks for replying and for developing retroarch.
I mean, it helps a lot. Spending hours trying to figure an issue out only for it either to not work or be broken again later isn't really that "fun" (not fun in the sense that it's not rewarding.) Equally it only adds that layer of lack of control, if it's something he can't fix due to SXOS, then it falls on them to fix it. Basically it's only logical to not want to deal with something that can easily turn out to be a waste of time and energy. That time/energy can be spent focusing on projects that can fixed by the dev without hassle due to access to the source code.
Also reports show that they've taken untested/nightly code, which is just more issues the consider.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Bumblecito

Bumblecito

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe i asked my question improperly, sorry for that.
I just wanted to know why you guys don't support sxos but I think I was rude suppossing things that I shouldn't. My apology.

Last edited by Bumblecito,

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i for one use retroarch with sxos 2.0 (and i am sure 2.1 will work too) but I don't use thumbnails. I mean correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that just be more data in ram?

Are we talking about practice?

I mean if you ABSOLUTELY must have thumbnails I guess it's a downer but i uh just trying to actually um play video games...

you know actually play them...

Now one of the really cool things about sxos is you can totally have atmosphere and reinx and sxos all happily coexisting on the same sd making your switch essentially a triple boot device. But I notice little difference from sxos os to reinx to atmosphere currently

At one time the nsp would not launch so I had to use reinx (just my preference) but that was sorted in 2.0

I get the feeling that we are dealing with modders trying to sell modded systems and who aren't interested in actually playing the games which does sadden me. They basically want to make the fanciest looking setup.

Ironically my setup is pretty frigging mean but i'm not dead and i'm not for sale

oh and bumblecito watch your mouth if it were up to me i'd have you take a long walk off a short plank don't address dev as such if you don't understand you don't understand but your tone gotta go

Danikaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
well i for one use retroarch with sxos 2.0 (and i am sure 2.1 will work too) but I don't use thumbnails. I mean correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that just be more data in ram?

I mean if you ABSOLUTELY must have thumbnails I guess it's a downer but i uh just trying to actually um play video games...

you know actually play them...

Now one of the really cool things about sxos is you can totally have atmosphere and reinx and sxos all happily coexisting on the same sd making your switch essentially a triple boot device. But I notice little difference from sxos os to reinx to atmosphere currently

At one time the nsp would not launch so I had to use reinx (just my preference) but that was sorted in 2.0

I get the feeling that we are dealing with modders trying to sell modded systems and who aren't interested in actually playing the games which does sadden me. They basically want to make the fanciest looking setup.

Ironically my setup is pretty frigging mean but i'm not dead and i'm not for sale

oh and bumblecito watch your mouth if it were up to me i'd have you take a long walk off a short plank don't address dev as such if you don't understand you don't understand but your tone gotta go
i dont know what is the reason
when i add a large number of thumbnails it starts to throttle when i switch in xmb from playlists, and if i erase the thumbnails it works swiftness

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
with thumbnails and dynamic backgrounds runs fine

I have made a video
http://sendvid.com/trn0c05q

without backgrounds runs better , but I have not any problem in this moment with the boxes
Oh I didn't even know backgrounds were a thing already xD
It's nice, though I think I'll still keep just the boxarts for my thumbnails :P

Danikaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Maybe try another source for the thumbnails?
i use the retroarch ones.
Are you launching retroarch from homebrew launcher o nsp?
tried both and same results
Are you sure the thumbnails have the correct path to them?
yes the path is correct, i see the thumbnails but when i do a fast scroll between games and playlist thumbnails go black and then it freezes.

http://sendvid.com/qkltjv79

in this video not freezes but sometime it freezes XD

Reactions: Bumblecito

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Using a Fiio DAC and Betron headphones.
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I use AKG K7XX headphones for daily use, but Meze 99 Classics when I want to *enjoy* the music
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I mean built in sound on mobo's has gotten way better but still XP handled sound better and X-Fi was still better than onboard audio even to this day
    Hell not sure what was going on but for like a few weeks MP3's sounded muffled, some driver or Windows update fixed it. Thank god lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh boy Massdrop has $1100 IEMs. Want, but not at that price lmao. https://drop.com/buy/campfire-audio-andromeda-emerald-sea-iem
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'd sooner buy the Meze 109 Pro if I was dropping that much on headphones. I don't even like buds/IEMs
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some really cheap IEMs that Dankpods recommends, I think the KZ ZSN Pro
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd stick with cheapo Chinese $10 ones quality is actually becoming on pair with name brand since name Brand usually quads the price up anyway loose one bud that's another $200
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    My Pixel Pro buds shit the bed a month or two ago. My wireless charger (which they do support Qi charging) absolutely COOKED them. Caused some problem that caused the case to heat up to 180F+
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    They were like 9 months out of warranty but I hit up Google support anyway and told them how hot they were getting and they replaced them with new ones because they wanted these for failure analysis lol
    lol wireless charging
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why I can't bring myself to even spend $100 on wireless earbuds
    I think it's a cool idea but damn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Apparently the case has a problem with >15W wireless chargers. Google design fault, that one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could live with wireless charging if the damn standard case doesn't block connection
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    how is wireless charging possible?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dbz said everyone has raging energy senses
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    you mean generally, how does the concept work?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Copper conducting electricity or something
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, power through a coil of wire causes an electromagnetic field to be generated. Another coil of wire can be set up to harness the power from that electromagnetic field and turn it into usable energy for charging a device
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Two good videos from ElectroBOOM that touch on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwGjhwPEik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2YwkAWg0_g
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Elements on earth are actually more powerful than we think