Homebrew RetroArch Switch

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>You do realize the Switch port of Retroarch has no devs assigned, right?

Actually I don't. My information was, that the Switch Port would be an official one, that RA did a well publicized poll, what system to support next, where the Switch won by leaps and bounds, and read twitter messages, that this might please their patreon backers as well. Also I read the interim release, that by the next build version, theyd have an official Switch release as well.

What happened?

If currently none of the official team is working on the builds, I'll turn my attitude right down. Still - why arent they connected to the Switch port, what happened?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah, the good old - if you cant make it better, don't criticize it approach. Thats a logical fallacy. No one could create what Retroarch did out of thin air, on their own by now. Hence - no one should be able to critizise anything they do from that point forward. I'm not sure, that this is how open societies work. Or democracy, first amendment rights, journalism, ... Come to think of it - no, nothing works like that.

But thanks for the comment anyways.

None at all actually, its mostly vindictive gloating, thats there to expell anyone involved from reactions to the current state of things.

So is yours.

edit: For the record - the excuse, that the screenshot button should not work - because someone would rather remap it to a different function, takes a lobotomy, on top of the last lobotomy mentioned, to accept as any rational excuse. I don't think "breaking features essential to the plattform" is how "remapping buttons" works - or "should work" for that matter.

That said, I'm all for your right to remap that button to anything you like. As long, as its intended functionality is there.

There is a difference between criticism and whining. I can see that your intent is to whine and thrash around, and seem to have some weird fetish for lobotomies. So I'll bow out i guess. #trolololololololololo

Reactions: yardie

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
>You do realize the Switch port of Retroarch has no devs assigned, right?

Actually I don't. My information was, that the Switch Port would be an official one, that RA did a well publicized poll, what system to support next, where the Switch won by leaps and bounds, and read twitter messages, that this might please their patreon backers as well. Also I read the interim release, that by the next build version, theyd have an official Switch release as well.

What happened?

If currently none of the official team is working on the builds, I'll turn my attitude right down. Still - why arent they connected to the Switch port, what happened?
I'm not really sure what went down there.
I did see those posts as well, but from I what know and from what I've seen through the multiple posts and commits, no dev has taken the mantle on focusing on the Switch port specifically.
I do know they have Patreon and stuff, but perhaps the Patreon goal for te Switch (and take this as a mere speculation on my part) was to get a Switch within the exploitable (and only homebrew compatible) firmware 3.0.0 .

I could be wrong about that, but so far no dev has stepped up to officially say they will work on the Switch.
If anyone knows if my info is wrong or knows better, please correct me, but this is what I know so far.
I will do some more research to hopefully figure out exactly what went down.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s not ready yet, but we get to use it anyway. If you’d prefer a project that will stay closed until there are no bugs left please go to the fail overflow thread.

FanmadeEndings

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi! I have compiled VBA-NEXT with savegames working and without crashes so far. Try and tell me. :)

Normal game saving doesn't work on my device, if I try to save state the emulator freezes (I can still exit to home menu) and when I load a state the console crashes. Any idea why barely anyone else seems to have this issue? I have an european switch, obviously on 3.0.0 and use the latest version of the hblauncher.

Kobigov

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normal game saving doesn't work on my device, if I try to save state the emulator freezes (I can still exit to home menu) and when I load a state the console crashes. Any idea why barely anyone else seems to have this issue? I have an european switch, obviously on 3.0.0 and use the latest version of the hblauncher.

Did you set the save file directory?

ballcity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• NES_SNES_Switch_NROs.rar
    1.7 MB · Views: 180

x0x0

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Attachments

• snes2x2010.rar
    927.3 KB · Views: 2,457
  • libretro-fceumm.rar
    821.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • vba-next.rar
    722.3 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited by x0x0,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the heads up. Just re-compiled the NES and SNES NROs with the latest libtransistor (it has had a few commits), and RetroArch branches.
Oh cool! Thanks for compiling them. I wonder if the gfx updates will help the ghosting on FDS roms.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jhakk

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
great work gents!!! I cannot however get my roms to show?
Do they need to be unzipped? in /sd/ROMS/SNES/ ? or?
Perhaps we can add info to orig post for other noobs like myself?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what is correct folder path structure?
/sd/ROMS/SNES/
/sd/ROMS/NES/
I'd recommend to stay with the main RetroArch naming convention which would be:
/sd/roms/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/
/sd/roms/Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System/

Name systems according to here:
https://github.com/libretro/libretro-thumbnails

Also name your playlists this way if you want thumbnails to work in later releases (with XMB GUI) because it's much easier then.

Reactions: jhakk

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also name your playlists this way if you want thumbnails to work in later releases (with XMB GUI) because it's much easier then.
you dont need to do such ridiculously long folder names

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you dont need to do such ridiculously long folder names
No I don't. I could rename thumbnails, cheats, xmb playlist menu icons and so on to match shorter folder names. I find "Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System" ridiculous myself but that's how they decided it to be named.
I know all those stuff is still in the far future for the Switch port of RetroArch but naming the folders after the scheme makes everything way easier. So I do it. And I recommend it. ;)

Reactions: jhakk

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I don't. I could rename thumbnails, cheats, xmb playlist menu icons and so on to match shorter folder names. I find "Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System" ridiculous myself but that's how they decided it to be named.
I know all those stuff is still in the far future for the Switch port of RetroArch but naming the folders after the scheme makes everything way easier. So I do it. And I recommend it. ;)

it's still not recommended to use such long folder names.

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t believe saving the state works yet. What does work is the native saving feature of games that have those, although after saving in game you may have to pull up the quick menu (+ & -) and select Close Content in order to generate the save files.

Reactions: FanmadeEndings

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Updated nros to this fork - fceumm, snes9x2010 and vba-next. :)

edit: @up huh i was to slow with snes/nes. I have not noticed you added this already : D
Oh the ones you posted there were not added yet, just added them as I'm writing this :P

For the ROMs folders, you don't need to have those specific names.
In the Wii U version, I have folders like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. for the ROMs.
The ONLY place where you really need to have those names specified (Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System, etc) is in the Playlists files (Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl).
I haven't tried cheats yet, so I don't know how those are supposed to be named.

Reactions: Galaxysm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled