Homebrew RetroArch Switch

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, alright, alright.

I've compiled a fair amount of cores with the new libtransistor! I haven't tested them, though, because I'm on 3.0.2 and 4.1.0! Let me know how they work :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DCHTvqaFKfYq-XM6knN7GJ4gIo2DrUAe?usp=sharing

Here's what I compiled for y'all:
  • fbalpha_retroarch.nro
  • fceumm_retroarch.nro
  • gambatte_retroarch.nro
  • genesis_retroarch.nro
  • gpsp_retroarch.nro
  • handy_retroarch.nro
  • mame2003_retroarch.nro
  • mgba_retroarch.nro
  • picodrive_retroarch.nro
  • prosystem_retroarch.nro
  • snes9x2010_retroarch.nro
  • tgbdual_retroarch.nro
  • vba_next_retroarch.nro
  • vecx_retroarch.nro
  • virtualjaguar_retroarch.nro
  • yabause_retroarch.nro
Lemme know! :) Happy Friday night/Saturday morning!

Edit: I'm testing on my 3.0.2 Switch and I've noticed that the nros play loud garbage audio for like half a sec when loading roms? lemme know if that's also happening in 5.0.2
Thanks! Happy to see handy on the list.
Ask this guy how he fixed the noise? https://gbatemp.net/threads/5-0-2-compatible-snes9x2010-and-vba-next-ports.505299/

Phenj

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I've compiled a fair amount of cores with the new libtransistor! I haven't tested them, though, because I'm on 3.0.2 and 4.1.0! Let me know how they work :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DCHTvqaFKfYq-XM6knN7GJ4gIo2DrUAe?usp=sharing

• fbalpha_retroarch.nro
  • fceumm_retroarch.nro
  • gambatte_retroarch.nro
  • genesis_retroarch.nro
  • gpsp_retroarch.nro
  • handy_retroarch.nro
  • mame2003_retroarch.nro
  • mgba_retroarch.nro
  • tgbdual_retroarch.nro
  • vba_next_retroarch.nro
  • vecx_retroarch.nro
  • yabause_retroarch.nro

Edit: I'm testing on my 3.0.2 Switch and I've noticed that the nros play loud garbage audio for like half a sec when loading roms? lemme know if that's also happening in 5.0.2
Awesome work, doesn't work on 4.1.0 sadly.

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't get this running on 4.1

Thank you for the sick release dude

I don't see the desire to stay on 4.1.0 anymore considering the method to boot straight into CFW was allegedly patched in on the firmware you're on and staying on it has no actual benefit compared to the latest FW. It's worth to mention that most users will be on 5.0.2 as well, so a larger majority get updates quicker.

Reactions: Centergaming

Samus20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see the desire to stay on 4.1.0 anymore considering the method to boot straight into CFW was allegedly patched in on the firmware you're on and staying on it has no actual benefit compared to the latest FW. It's worth to mention that most users will be on 5.0.2 as well, so a larger majority get updates quicker.

Don't wanna burn the fuses* on my switch if* I don't have to

And one day I'll have softwarehax. I haven't updated in months, so why would I update now? Everything is so bare bones right now. It's all a matter of being patient.

Edit: hella typos from swype

Last edited by Samus20XX,
Reactions: Hondyn

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

• fbalpha_retroarch.nro
  • fceumm_retroarch.nro
  • gambatte_retroarch.nro
  • genesis_retroarch.nro
  • gpsp_retroarch.nro
  • handy_retroarch.nro
  • mame2003_retroarch.nro
  • mgba_retroarch.nro
  • tgbdual_retroarch.nro
  • vba_next_retroarch.nro
  • vecx_retroarch.nro
  • yabause_retroarch.nro

Thanks a lot for taking the time! Also did you do something to fix the screenshot function? I noticed it's working specifically with your builds.

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so on 5.0.2 (tested at least 2 games each):

Gambette loads, does the screeching noise, appears to load a game but then crashes (the whole core/emu) almost immediately

Genesis Plus loads, but crashes to the white screen (showing the controller in the bottom left) whenever a game is loaded. No screeching noise.

mGBA, same as Genesis Plus

PicoDrive is a weird one. Usual screeching issues on startup. Master System games loads but have a weird screen tearing (like it's vertical instead of horizontal). Genesis have the usual thing of running well but starting with a screeching noise, though Aqautic Games (which I tried out of sheer coincidence of it starting with an "A") crashed the whole emu/core. Other Genesis games seem fine though and don't have the screen tearing issue the master system games do.

Snes9x - Usual screeching. Deliberately tried Star Fox which worked well, although it crashed the whole emu/core when I tried to pull up the Retroarch menu and then go back to the game (other games didn't do this).

TGB Dual - Usual screeching. Games have the same same weird screen tearing as playing master system games in PicoDrive

VBA Next - Usual screeching though games are fine. Tested out some GB games I'd converted to work with GBA and they also work on it (Super Mario Land 1 had a weird flickering right around the time/coins etc display, Super Mario Land 2 was fine)

Hondyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only thing 4.1 cant run so far is snes if you compare both the fw. So the only benefit to updating your device would be having the snes emulator and thats it. I dont think its worth it since you also can play some of the best snes games on gba emulator. So if i were you, i d just sit down, chill out and wait for a snes emulator for 4.1 . And to be fair, those enulators are just in its beggining. Anyways, Just relax and wait

DogParty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DogParty The audio spike might be related to the uninitialized write of the sample_data buffer when it set ups the audio in RetroArch\audio\drivers\switch_audio.c

for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
{
if (swa->buffers.sample_data == NULL)
goto cleanExit;

if (audio_ipc_output_append_buffer(&swa->output, &swa->buffers) != RESULT_OK)
goto fail_audio_output;
}

Just noticed that on my port, maybe you could do a test and see if it fixes it? I don't wanna swap around my branches.

Edit: Seems to be a ROM related issue as well, but this still looks odd to me tbh and the avaiable fix still has a little spike.

Well the that line needs to be called to initialize the audio output but I think you're really onto something. I'll try memsetting each buffer to 0 before calling audio_ipc_output_append_buffer :) Good idea! I'll also try asking the other user what they did to fix the audio/tearing issue. Hopefully they'll share the fix.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the that line needs to be called to initialize the audio output but I think you're really onto something. I'll try memsetting each buffer to 0 before calling audio_ipc_output_append_buffer :) Good idea! I'll also try asking the other user what they did to fix the audio/tearing issue. Hopefully they'll share the fix.

Yea because it later queries a released buffer, it doesn't need it existing at that point I think.

I think the buffer should just be created if it doesn't exist yet (when its actually needed and initialized with real-world data and not just unexpected behaviour) and then just be re-used

Man I really get tired of this libtransistor code, like seriously, libnx is so much cleaner !!

Last edited by m4xw,

Phenj

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yea because it later queries a released buffer, it doesn't need it existing at that point I think.

I think the buffer should just be created if it doesn't exist yet (when its actually needed and initialized with real-world data and not just unexpected behaviour) and then just be re-used

Man I really get tired of this libtransistor code, like seriously, libnx is so much cleaner !!
Yeah, a port to libnx would be amazing.

DogParty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually like libtransistor more :X It's more low-level so I have more of an understanding of what's going on.

Anyway, I tried both memsetting the buffers to 0 after they're created with alloc_pages and commenting out the lines you highlighted and neither worked. Memsetting lead to more garbage being played and commenting them out lead to the nro failing to launch :( I'll keep looking into it, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol