Homebrew RetroArch Switch

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any emulator running at 1x resolution on the Switch has zero issues with the GPU. It's always been the CPU holding things back and this changes nothing there.

The only time this would make a performance difference is if you dialed back the resolution on a 3D core. Like say, maybe you want to run Flycast handheld at 1x instead of 2x, maybe this would help cover the lower resolution sins a little. FSR is not great at bridging huge resolution gaps so I would not try to upscale your 240p games and the like with it, there are better shaders for that.

Reactions: Basketto

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Any emulator running at 1x resolution on the Switch has zero issues with the GPU. It's always been the CPU holding things back and this changes nothing there.

The only time this would make a performance difference is if you dialed back the resolution on a 3D core. Like say, maybe you want to run Flycast handheld at 1x instead of 2x, maybe this would help cover the lower resolution sins a little. FSR is not great at bridging huge resolution gaps so I would not try to upscale your 240p games and the like with it, there are better shaders for that.
But is it even confirmed that the NVIDIA chip that the Switch has can support AMD FSR? I mean that AMD states that NVIDIA cards can support FSR but that is not the case if the card is very old, so I wonder...

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone ever messed around with the side by side shader to use with the Labo VR glasses?

I'm playing around with it now. Laying flat in bed playing N64. It's kinda like having a CRT filter on due to the magnified pixels and 360p per eye.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Latest Build on the Switch (Not Lakka)?
Yeah just regular homebrew channel retroarch. Atmosphere/SXOS

Games that never worked for me before that would lock up RA completely, work now. I just tried them randomly.

Psychic Force 2012, Fur Fighters, MSR. I'm sure there's others.

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever messed around with the side by side shader to use with the Labo VR glasses?

I'm playing around with it now. Laying flat in bed playing N64. It's kinda like having a CRT filter on due to the magnified pixels and 360p per eye.
Is that a standard shader that comes with retroarch? I've only used a custom one that someone posted in this forum for playing Virtual Boy in 3D with Labo VR, that was pretty cool

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Is that a standard shader that comes with retroarch? I've only used a custom one that someone posted in this forum for playing Virtual Boy in 3D with Labo VR, that was pretty cool
Yeah there's a side-by-side shader and you can adjust the parameters. Takes a little bit of tinkering with the image but you can get it pretty lined up

Reactions: hippy dave

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone got Radiant Silvergun to work on MAME2003 or MAME2003 plus core i got title stuck on screen with 0000 0080 in box on bottom of screen it is from Sega ST-V

Never Mind Guess ST-V Sega arcade not able run on mame2003 or plus but i got Radiant Silvergun Saturn running on switch. also I'm curious if anyone got to run android or lakka running on switch and which is best recommend?

Last edited by FanNintendo,

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I have one tiny problem. I've updated retroarch after a long time and suddenly none of my quicksaves are working anymore.
All saves from my PS1 games are suddenly gone. Any way to restore them?

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hey, I have one tiny problem. I've updated retroarch after a long time and suddenly none of my quicksaves are working anymore.
All saves from my PS1 games are suddenly gone. Any way to restore them?
If they are gone - they are gone. I suppose you just deleted the whole RA folder including saves and other stuff? If yes, then you can't restore them if you don't have a backup elsewhere. If you didn't delete them, maybe your directory settings got messed up...

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah, I used the auto updater.
E:// i just checked the folders through ftp, all the savestates are still there, but retroarch can't find them.
I checked the savestate path, but it's correct too. No clue what kind of problem that is. But my guess is that my savestates are just too old. Haven't touched them for almost a year.

Last edited by Zephir1991,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the save states are found (i.e. correct file name) but fail to load (i.e. incompatib le), you should get some kind of error message at least. If nothing at all happens is possible some naming convention has changed, maybe especially if you are using per-core save states?

Reactions: Zephir1991

Zephir1991

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just double checked it. The names are also correct. Retroarch can't find the quicksave-savestates and the "normal" savestates you create ingame.
And I get no errors at all, it just tells me that there is no savegame if I try to load it. Very weird, but oh well. Time to restart Xenogears.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I have 2 switch one with older retroarch 1.8.9 and new retroarch 1.9.8 running on Saturn Yabause and top is older and bottom is new. Older running on atmosphere 0.14.0 at 10.20 firmware. Newer running at atmosphere 0.19.5 on 11.0.1 firmware. Don't understand but it's good to keep old backup retroarch in case new slow down. Cheer and have good day
20210907_110815.jpg

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello I have 2 switch one with older retroarch 1.8.9 and new retroarch 1.9.8 running on Saturn Yabause and top is older and bottom is new. Older running on atmosphere 0.14.0 at 10.20 firmware. Newer running at atmosphere 0.19.5 on 11.0.1 firmware. Don't understand but it's good to keep old backup retroarch in case new slow down. Cheer and have good dayView attachment 275104
They both definitely running the same settings and overclock?

I'm surprised switch can get 50fps in Sega Saturn

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They both definitely running the same settings and overclock?

I'm surprised switch can get 50fps in Sega Saturn
they both run overclock and i dont remember how i did with old retroarch because old only have 256 gb card and the new has 1 TB card that why i play lot on newer retroarch. im looking through Yabause core setting how I did LOL Also new retroarch Yabause core didnt work much with chd like the older core works with most of chds

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest stable Lakka includes FSR shaders. It works but framerate drops slightly at default handheld GPU clocks, doesn't seem worth it.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this has been gone over before, but I think Retroarch horizon is defaulting to the wrong recorded refresh rate. Its something like 59.97hz, the NTSC standard, but the actual Switch horizon refresh (both handheld and TV) seems to be exactly 60 hz, or possibly 60.002 hz, which is Retroarch's estimated refresh. Its important to set the correct refresh rate in retroarch, because otherwise with sound sync on, you're going to get a small amount of visual lag and occasional microstutter. You can see it clearly looking at the save screen of Sonic 3 with some chaos emeralds, they are flashing white every other frame. If you wait for a minute or two with 59.97 set, you're going to see an occasional flash, as you get two frames in a row showing emeralds without the white frame inbetween. Set it to 60 and this goes away.

As a point of comparison, Vita Retroarch defaults to 59.94 hz, and that seems to be correct for its screen, it roughly matches the estimated refresh rate, and Sonic3's emeralds appear solid using it.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope to see Kronos Core (Saturn) for Switch it supports STV arcades and Saturn which just like flycast can emulate naomi and atmosiwave aracde.

I forgot to update about the Saturn Retroarch i figured out because 1.8.9 retroarch.nro has best speed than after 1.9.0 to up i tested the saturn core 1.9.9. with 1.8.9 Retroarch.nro it still runs great but sad that will not work with .chd so stuck with .cue and .bin at least it will read it and make out a playlist in Saturn :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: