RetroArch in old Android Tablet?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have an old tablet lying around. It has Android 5.1 and I was wondering if I can install RetroArch on it.

Has someone here done it before?

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay... small update:

I've googled "RetroArch Androind 5.1" and I've downloaded RetroArch 1.5.0.

It installs okay but it won't download cores... other than 2048.

Any RA version you guys might know will download Cores?

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks to everyone who apported to this question.

UPDATE:

- I've made it work. So... downloaded Retroarch 1.7.7.apk
- Manually downloaded Gambatte core from buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/latest/arm64-v8a
- Added it UNZIPPED to a folder called RetroArch on the tablet's NAND FLASH (the internal memory) placed Super Mario Land rom on a folder inside the created RetroArch folder.
- Launched RetroArch on the Tablet and set the directory route where I placed the Gambatte core UNZIPPED and the ROM route.
- ONLY THEN I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO "PLAY" RETROARCH ON IT
- WEIRDLY ENOUGH ONLY THEN I WAS ABLE TO DOWNLOAD CORES FROM RETROARCH

Before all of this, attempting to download Cores from the Core Updater gave me error: "Failed to load Index" no matter what.

Sidenote: Tablet is so old that I can play NES and GB/GBA roms only. SNES roms loads but they're super slow. So yeah, I gave up on CPS1, CPS2, MAME and NEOGEO.

But considering that I did all of this for a small child, I guess it's okay.

The kid will have lots of fun with Zelda Link's Awakening, Super Mario Land and Pokemon Yellow/Crystal/Emerald and Metroid Fusion!

Thanks for helping guys. I knew I could count with you!

Best Regards!

PS: If there's a Moderator/Staff Member reading this, I want you to choose the best answer for this request. I can't choose because the fix got so criptic and ultimately solved by myself.

Reactions: Takokeshi

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@flo
I'm not very experienced with Tablets. But as Lacius said, you need a newer android version to run Retroarch.
But I could be wrong though.
It might wirk because of RAM, as my old tablet only has 400mb of it but it's in Android 5.

About SNES, if you only want to play SNES exclusively, do not get RetroArch as some cores requires a fast processor to play smoothly.
So a standalone SNES emulator would be more accurate.

About PS4 controller, yes I think it should work. Not sure what part of Android handles External Inputs, I don't know if it's a software gimmick or a hardware thing. But it should.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1