RetroArch guide (clean games collection) + FAQ

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by lordelan, Apr 19, 2017.

1. eipok

eipok GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2017
    Spain
    Wonderful tutorial! 10/10

lordelan likes this.
  2. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    What do you mean by feed your games to the .lpl files?

3. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
  4. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    Last edited by wiiztec, Apr 16, 2018
    nWo likes this.
  5. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Oh sorry lol. I somehow thought we're in the main RetroArch thread here. Otherwise I wouldn't have linked that thread (that we're actually in right now). :D
    Well you could use playlist buddy (PC tool) or the "scan directory" feature from within RetroArch.
    I'd recommend playlist buddy.

6. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    Scan directory crashes the Wii U

Playlists can have subfolders right?

Last edited by wiiztec, Apr 16, 2018
  7. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Then use playlist buddy and follow instructions of the first post in the main RetroArch for Wii U thread.
    Yes. You have your roms folder and in there you have subfolders for each system (Snes, Game Boy and so on).

8. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    But I need subfolders for each system, my main games then a subfolder for games I'm trying out and another subfolder for the entire system library

9. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    You can do whatever you want. For example:
    sd:/roms/Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System/game.zip <- all SNES games
    sd:/roms/4 Player Games/game.zip <- games from various systems
    sd:/roms/Best Games/game.zip <- games from various systems

For the first one you can use playlist buddy. For the second and third one you need to do it manually because every entry can be related to another core.

10. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    I don't think you understood me, I don't want any games from different systems grouped together, I want for example my SNES playlist to have a number of games and also 2 subfolders with more SNES games, I don't want to see the subfolders anywhere if I'm not already in the SNES playlist. The only reason at this point I'm still looking into this ridiculous playlist nonsense is I heard I could keep my games in zips without the extra steps in getting to the games, that and it seems some cores can't play archives and can look into the archive and play the game and some can't look into the archive and play the game but can just play the archive which is stupid and confusing

Last edited by wiiztec, Apr 17, 2018
  11. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Give me some examples of your folder structure please.
    You CAN launch zip files with most of the cores directly. Works pretty well for all Nintendo and SEGA systems, Arcade roms (if they are named right) and a few other cores.
    It's better to use unzipped directories for cores like DosBox or ScummVM though.
    But I think even those could use zip files if there's a *.conf or *.scummvm file inside.
    However, give me some specific examples of what you wanna do and I'll see if I can help you. :)

12. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    This is the structure I want to know if I can replicate in playlists [​IMG]
    Unless you're talking about in playlists(in which case I've already been told this) In my experience you cannot launch zip files directly with any core, you're given a choice to load archive or look into archive and then load the rom inside it. Different cores do not work with one option or the other, for example VBAnext loads archives but does not work with looking into them and loading the rom

13. lordelan
    OP

lordelan GBAtemp Addict

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    That's pretty easy. Follow this screenshot to create a playlist for your main folder from your screenshot where all the zip files are in:
    https://gbatemp.net/attachments/tuto_ra_thumb_pl-png.96632/
    You should end up with a Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl containing all those games.
    Move that one to a temp folder on your PC (something like Desktop\temp\).
    Now you cut out ALL games from your main SNES folder into a temp folder as well (like Desktop\temp\main snes games\) and then cut out games from one of your sub folders and paste it into your main folder. Then fire up playlist buddy again. When it's done, rename the lpl to something like SNES Hacks.lpl, open it up and use the replace all feature of your text editor to replace every whatever it was called before.lpl to SNES Hacks.lpl and replace the path for all entries to the path of the subfolder.
    Do those steps for the other folders as well. Then put all roms back into their original places, get your Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl from your first step back in place and you should be good to go.
    I hope that wasn't too confusing. Tell me if that's the case. I'll go more in detail then.

Mmmh it's working for me.
    I can load content, pick a zip, pick load archive and then pick a core.
    I also can load core, pick a core, load content and use the current core to load the archive.
    As I said it might not work with every core/system.

14. wiiztec

wiiztec GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2009
    United States
    Yes it is very confusing actually and jsyk the folder I screenshotted is my main SNES folder. Before I begin to try and follow your steps can you get a screenshot of a playlist with subfolders in retroarch? And in regards to loading zip files directly, if after I select the zip it gives me options on what to do with it instead of just automatically playing the rom inside I don't consider that to be loading the zip directly