Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Player-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there guys,

@aliaspider just pushed a patch which should fix the tearing.

Wait for the next nightlies and let us know if this issue is fixed now!

Thanks for the update! screen tearing seems to be gone from most cores i've tested but it's still happening in nxengine, it's not as bad as before since it just appears and disappears on it's own. also nestopia now crashes when loading a rom. i'm using cia versions btw.

Last edited by Player-1,

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick testing notes from the new 20160928 nightlies (all testing done on CIA versions):

-SNES9x 2002, SNES9x 2005, and FCEUMM all crash upon loading games.
-Genesis Plus GX still has screen tearing issues on the left side of the screen.
-On a 2DS, the lower screen cannot be disabled.

I'll edit this post with more findings, if necessary.

Mattaniel297

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested a few emulators from the 9-29-16 cia nightly
-Didn't notice any differences in pcsx or gambatte other than some new menu options, but they work
-SNES9x2010 runs slowly even on n3DS and I don't see Pocketsnes or CatSFC anywhere
-As kenseiden said, FCEUMM crashes on loading a rom
Still, I'm very excited for the prospect of new updates

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick testing notes from the new 20160928 nightlies (all testing done on CIA versions):

-Genesis Plus GX still has screen tearing issues on the left side of the screen.

OK, thanks for this feedback.

I'll test it on my end too with 3dsx and see if there are changes in behavior compared to CIA.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just tested a few emulators from the 9-29-16 cia nightly
-Didn't notice any differences in pcsx or gambatte other than some new menu options, but they work
-SNES9x2010 runs slowly even on n3DS and I don't see Pocketsnes or CatSFC anywhere
-As kenseiden said, FCEUMM crashes on loading a rom
Still, I'm very excited for the prospect of new updates

Pocketsnes got renamed sometime ago to snes9x 2002.

Catsfc is now snes9x 2005.

xoleras20099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm playing Super Mario RPG full speed just fine on SNES9x2005 with a New 3DS

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Super Mario RPG full speed just fine on SNES9x2005 with a New 3DS

Just tested again, and you're right! Turns out I was loading a game that also had an IPS file (F-Zero and the all tracks patch, in case you're wondering.) I guess there's something broken with on-the-fly IPS patching.

I believe this is unfixable because the two screens on the 2DS are actually one massive screen.

I've been able to deactivate the bottom 2DS screen in previous versions for sure, given that I was using the 1.3.3 stables for the longest on the 2DS before this.

Last edited by kenseiden,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just tested again, and you're right! Turns out I was loading a game that also had an IPS file (F-Zero and the all tracks patch, in case you're wondering.) I guess there's something broken with on-the-fly IPS patching.

I've been able to deactivate the bottom 2DS screen in previous versions for sure, given that I was using the 1.3.3 stables for the longest on the 2DS before this.

We have fixed an issue to do with IPS/UPS/BPS patching, so hopefully it should be fixed in the next nightlies.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it worth updating RetroArch on the 3DS right now? It seems that the most recent updates have been worse than the older versions, not better.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

About the 2DS lower screen.
Technically speaking the 2DS has one large LCD screen covered by a plastic bezel, at least I believe it does.
Instructions to power-off a bottom LCD screen couldn't be delivered on a 2DS if it does not exist. The best you'd get is an option to simply blank the image on the bottom portion I think.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
What system do you have?
Which builds (cia, 3ds, 3dsx)?
Which cores did you try?

Relax, dude. I haven't had enough time to do enough testing worth posting about, just wanted to state my gratitude that Retroarch 3DS is finally getting updates again!

Anyways, I'm using the CIA builds on N3DS. SNES9X 2002, 2005, 2005+ all seem to play well, not much of a difference in performance over 1.3.3. from what I can tell. gPSP seems to be a little more stable, games which were crashing frequently on 1.3.3 haven't crashed on me yet, although I have experienced one crash immediately upon loading the emulator. I've also tested out Picodrive and it seems to be working fine, although it seems to perform a little slower when playing SegaCD games now.

It seems like core overrides/game overrides are still broken though, it would be nice to have a way to save core-specific settings (video settings, remaps etc) so I don't have to mess with filters and integer scaling etc every time I switch cores.

Last edited by coinblock,

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@aliaspider is once again bringing the goods!

He added a font driver and menu display driver today for 3DS. What this will mean is that we can use the fancier XMB/MaterialUI menus on the 3DS.

He says that the framerate is 55fps on his Old 3DS, and it's still a bit preliminary/experimental.

BTW, we need as much testing as possible with the current builds. Sticking to some old outdated build is not going to help us fix issues swiftly. So please be understanding of the fact that your testing matters here of the most recent builds.

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol