Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

D

Deleted User

I did put bios in the right directory. What do I do with cue/bin in text program? I was trying to run Crash Bandicoot or Rayman.

GinOkami428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@GinOkami428 Are you using the xml file and MH4U/SSB demo ?

@drakorex, I really don't want to sound like and ass, and I think @Slasher115 would agree with me, this thread is about Retro Arch Nightlies, to give support with 3DS Retroarch nightlies/alpha version specific issues, other stuff is WAY out of the scope of this thread.

I'm not denying that running MAME when you're unfamiliar with it is tough though (we all started somewhere), but you need to test your roms on PC first and look for help on generally using MAME elsewhere (MAME forums?, google MAME Tutorial? in this day and age, believe me, the ressource is out there)

We did disclaim in the first post that you needed to know the system/emu you're trying to run before asking things here. (not because we're assh*les but because this thread is about "beta testing" (more like alpha testing) 3DS retroarch specific issues, not spoonfeeding end users about how to use the emulation cores. And don't get me wrong I'm not looking down on end users, but release candidates or final versions are what's aimed at them, not Nighlies at all)

That being said, Slasher and I did add a lot of general info in the OP, that is not 3DS specific and that applies to RetroArch on ANY platforms, because we knew that a lot of ppl willing to test and in turn help here would not necessarily be familiar with RetroArch in the first place.

@drakorex , it's nothing personal against you, what I'm saying is more of a general remark for everyone posting here because MAME and FBA are complicated enough to use to derail the whole thread from its aim/purpose, I think.

I don't wanna sound harsh, but devs do come here to check for bugs with us and help us with support, being met with 200 pages of questions on how to use MAME/FBA will turn them away which is why it isn't the focus of this thread.

(I also do think that answering the same unrelated questions over and over again on a daily basis contributes to turning normally helpful ppl into an assw*pes, kinda like the owner of the previous RA thread was at times)

That being said, I think we need to include in the first post a link to a good tutorial about MAME/FBA related stuff or even about other systems, if anyone can contribute something along those lines, Slasher or I will gladly add it in the OP and credit you :)
- @Azel, Didn't know I needed a MH4U or SSB3DS Demo, good to know. Also 1) what do I name the .xtml? and 2) am I to put the .xtml on the root of my card or the retroarch/cores folder?

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@GinOkami428 Are you using the xml file and MH4U/SSB demo ?

@drakorex, I really don't want to sound like and ass, and I think @Slasher115 would agree with me, this thread is about Retro Arch Nightlies, to give support with 3DS Retroarch nightlies/alpha version specific issues, other stuff is WAY out of the scope of this thread.

I'm not denying that running MAME when you're unfamiliar with it is tough though (we all started somewhere), but you need to test your roms on PC first and look for help on generally using MAME elsewhere (MAME forums?, google MAME Tutorial? in this day and age, believe me, the ressource is out there)

We did disclaim in the first post that you needed to know the system/emu you're trying to run before asking things here. (not because we're assh*les but because this thread is about "beta testing" (more like alpha testing) 3DS retroarch specific issues, not spoonfeeding end users about how to use the emulation cores. And don't get me wrong I'm not looking down on end users, but release candidates or final versions are what's aimed at them, not Nighlies at all)

That being said, Slasher and I did add a lot of general info in the OP, that is not 3DS specific and that applies to RetroArch on ANY platforms, because we knew that a lot of ppl willing to test and in turn help here would not necessarily be familiar with RetroArch in the first place.

@drakorex , it's nothing personal against you, what I'm saying is more of a general remark for everyone posting here because MAME and FBA are complicated enough to use to derail the whole thread from its aim/purpose, I think.

I don't wanna sound harsh, but devs do come here to check for bugs with us and help us with support, being met with 200 pages of questions on how to use MAME/FBA will turn them away which is why it isn't the focus of this thread.

(I also do think that answering the same unrelated questions over and over again on a daily basis contributes to turning normally helpful ppl into an assw*pes, kinda like the owner of the previous RA thread was at times)

That being said, I think we need to include in the first post a link to a good tutorial about MAME/FBA related stuff or even about other systems, if anyone can contribute something along those lines, Slasher or I will gladly add it in the OP and credit you :)

While I'll agree with you that I know next to nothing about arcade emulation, and that maybe I should have done more research before posting, I feel that there are plenty of people that would rather just get their games set up as quickly and easily as possible without having to spend hours earning their bachelors degree in Arcade Science.

Maybe you view this as lazy, but to a newcomer who has more on their plate than learning how arcade machines work, the complexity of it can be a little daunting. I think that's why some people come here asking questions because they figure there are people here far more knowledgeable in this area than they are and are only hoping for a little help.

I fully support the idea of a tutorial not only for how the game systems work, but also how Retroarch works. There are tons of options in the gui to wrap our heads around and I imagine most users are left guessing what most of them do. I wish there were an in depth look at what each of the options do and the effect they have on the games that are being emulated. That along with a thorough FAQ section would help cut down on the noob questions.

Reactions: GinOkami428

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'll agree with you that I know next to nothing about arcade emulation, and that maybe I should have done more research before posting, I feel that there are plenty of people that would rather just get their games set up as quickly and easily as possible without having to spend hours earning their bachelors degree in Arcade Science.

Maybe you view this as lazy, but to a newcomer who has more on their plate than learning how arcade machines work, the complexity of it can be a little daunting. I think that's why some people come here asking questions because they figure there are people here far more knowledgeable in this area than they are and are only hoping for a little help.

I fully support the idea of a tutorial not only for how the game systems work, but also how Retroarch works. There are tons of options in the gui to wrap our heads around and I imagine most users are left guessing what most of them do. I wish there were an in depth look at what each of the options do and the effect they have on the games that are being emulated. That along with a thorough FAQ section would help cut down on the noob questions.

I second this. A FAQ would be really useful for beginners, and even people who are a little out of the loop with homebrew and the basics of emulation. Like me for instance; I've been implementing homebrew on many consoles for over 10 years now, and even I had to ask about how to get the MAME core to run.

With that said, the frequency of Retroarch nightlies would make a FAQ difficult to keep up to date, that is unless the FAQ sticks to the bear minimums required to install and run nightly build. Most of this information is already available but spans multiple pages and locations, which is a pain even for people who know to search forums first before asking questions.

Furthermore, I think another reason it is difficult to maintain focus in a thread like this is simply because the nightly builds are available to everyone, which I think is a good move. What I mean by this is that because beginners have access to this homebrew, they are going to ask questions about it, which I think is a small price to pay for having these nightlies available. So again, I think a FAQ would help with this.

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well.... Considering that the Nintendo 3DS isn't a dead console like the PSP... I mean I don't see how many people play on the PSP these days lol just saying what I've seen lol
Irrelevant.

For gamers who want to play portable PSP/PS1 titles, the PSP is still far and away the superior choice (and will likely remain that way).

Reactions: cvskid

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is a 3DS Thread we don't need PSP fanboys in this area
True, but the guy has a point. PS1 emulation on the N3DS still has a long way to go to catch the PSP. The N3DS plays a lot of games, but if I want to play GBC/DS, I play them on my DSi XL. If I want to play GBA, I use my backlit GBA. PS1, I use the PSP. You prefer playing everything on one system, whereas there are those like myself who will use whatever handheld that plays any particular game the best. Whether a system is outdated should not matter.

Last edited by LumInvader,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did put bios in the right directory. What do I do with cue/bin in text program? I was trying to run Crash Bandicoot or Rayman.
Once opened in your text proggie you'll see:

FILE "xxxxx.bin" BINARY

At the top, xxxxx being the name of your bin file. This should match exactly. If it doesn't you can edit either the name in the .cue (like above) or the actual .bin itself

Don't think Rayman works by the way though.... Also remember as the OP says you don't want any separate music files - full .bin only (there's a couple of Crash 1 downloads with split tracks knocking around, find another link if yours is one of them)

Last edited by mightymuffy,

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
I've put the XML file in with the mame apps, got Youtube updated fully, but either of the MAME versions crash on trying to load the .3dsx file, often to the extent that L + R + Down + B isn't enough and I need to hold down the power button.

Firmware version 10.1 E.

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've put the XML file in with the mame apps, got Youtube updated fully, but either of the MAME versions crash on trying to load the .3dsx file, often to the extent that L + R + Down + B isn't enough and I need to hold down the power button.

Firmware version 10.1 E.

Make sure your XML file contains the correct target app within it. If you are on Euro firmware and trying to use Youtube, your xml should contain this line of code:

Code:
<targets selectable="true">
<title mediatype="1">00040000000CCD00</title>
</targets>

The targets and their respective titles are listed below from page 25 of the thread. Credits to Vague Rant for that contribution.

All right, let's get ridiculous, now:
Code:
<targets selectable="true">
    <!--   YouTube (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B0F00</title>
    <!--   YouTube (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000CCD00</title>
    <!--   YouTube (Japan)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000D3000</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FA00</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Special Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000015FB00</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126300</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">0004000000126100</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4G (Japan eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000011D700</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (USA cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126300</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Europe cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">0004000000126100</title>
    <!--   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Japan cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">000400000011D700</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E500</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014E600</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (USA)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C200</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Special Demo (Europe)-->
    <title mediatype="1">000400000014C300</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EDF00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000EE000</title>
    <!--   Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan eShop)-->
    <title mediatype="1">00040000000B8B00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (USA cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EDF00</title>
    <!--   Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Europe cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000EE000</title>
    <!--   Dairantou Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS (Japan cartridge)-->
    <title mediatype="2">00040000000B8B00</title>
</targets>
Again, I haven't personally tested the vast majority of these.

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the XML file work with/ is it needed for the CIA builds, or only for the 3DSX builds?

I've only used it with .3dsx builds, where it is required.

I don't think it is required for .cia because of kernel or something like that.

Best thing to do is try it and see.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will the XML file work with/ is it needed for the CIA builds, or only for the 3DSX builds?
FFS - I answered you, several pages back (pg44), asking almost the exact same thing...
The 3dsx builds of FBA full and Mame require the xml to load - because of their size they won't boot without it. How the xml works is it hijacks the target app at boot, making the target apps memory resources available to the homebrew you're launching. The CIA's don't need it; they should boot fine.

Last edited by duwen,

NuikopeaDemon

Hello Darkness
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
New Zealand

Attachments

• 14469539137801264607674.jpg
    14469539137801264607674.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 297

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is Gambattle the only GB/GBC emulator ATM?
I tried that one but the DX (or coloured) hacks do not display properly. :/
Which is something Gameyob did flawlessly but that one is fucking up randomly on 2.5 :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then whats qbits?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A type of fish
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna do my homework
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    see ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Man steams only downloading 15mbps
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, wdym thats quite fast
    Just upgraded to 1Gbps Internet, it was cheaper than the other company by a few bucks lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 15mbps is fast
    Ken do I mention that I had 500Mbps and upgraded to 1Gbps and it is only 40 dollars a month?
    But honestly next month will likely be 10 bucks a month.... Dude called his boss and pretty much got a job out of the deal making like 30 bucks an hour.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: But honestly next month will likely be 10 bucks a month.... Dude called his boss and pretty much...