Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

MollyChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since I was able to FINALLY get the Mame port up and running thanks to CFW, I'm wondering a few things about it
Do "clone ROMs" work with it? I'm asking, because I know the Final Burn Alpha CPS2 port doesn't, and two of the games I would use Mame for the most, Pac-Mania and Donkey Kong, I'm more familiar with the Japanese versions, both of which are considered as "clone ROMs" by Mame
Also, if I wanted to play something like the original Pac-Man, which Mame needs extra BIOS files for, would i just stick the BIOS files for it in the same place I'd put the FDS, SEGA CD, PSX, GBA, etc BIOS files? Or would Mame require they be put somewhere else?

EDIT: Just through some testing, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., and Pac-Man all crash the emulator
I'm using the Mame 2000 version, as my experiences with the SNES9X versions would indicate that earlier versions would get better framerates, but do these games only work on the 2003 version? Or is there at least any possible way to get them working on any version?
EDIT2: Okay, Donkey Kong does work on the 2003 version, but the screen is sideways and flipped horizontally for some reason. Is there any way to fix that? I know retroarch DOES have a screen rotation thing, but for whatever reason, it hasn't been working properly for me for a while (the screen shape rotates just fine, but the display doesn't rotate anymore for some reason)
Mario Bros. and Pac-Man still don't work, however

Last edited by MollyChan,

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Just through some testing, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., and Pac-Man all crash the emulator
I'm using the Mame 2000 version...
EDIT2: ...but the screen is sideways and flipped horizontally for some reason...

Just tried all the games (and clone sets) you mentioned in 'MAME2000' and they work fine.

Keep in mind that you -have- to use the ROMs from a MAME 0.37(b5) set with MAME2000. If you're not, then that's why it's crashing.

In MAME2000, vertical/rotated monitor games display correctly...

The rotation issue you saw has to do with underlying MAME changes added sometime before MAME .78 (MAME2003) and how it internally 'renders' vertically-rotated games...and the 3DS RetroArch port doesn't currently have the ability to rotate the output. I've looked through posts, and people have been waiting on a fix for that since the 3DS port first came out :/

MollyChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just tried all the games (and clone sets) you mentioned in 'MAME2000' and they work fine.

Keep in mind that you -have- to use the ROMs from a MAME 0.37(b5) set with MAME2000. If you're not, then that's why it's crashing.

In MAME2000, vertical/rotated monitor games display correctly...

The rotation issue you saw has to do with underlying MAME changes added sometime before MAME .78 (MAME2003) and how it internally 'renders' vertically-rotated games...and the 3DS RetroArch port doesn't currently have the ability to rotate the output. I've looked through posts, and people have been waiting on a fix for that since the 3DS port first came out :/
Ah, I forgot that MAME ROMs change almost as often as the emulator gets updated, haha
While I couldn't find downloads for the separate games for that version, I was able to just find a big ol' download with every game, so I suppose that's good

And, from that comment about MAME 2003, I can guess that I won't hold my breath for any updates to fix that display issue.

Thanks for the help!

MollyChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not just sideways, but it's also mirrored horizontally

Hmmm, I found out, using MAME 2000 to play Donkey Kong from that old ROM set that some SFX in-game are missing
I wonder what would be the reason for THAT happening?

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not just sideways, but it's also mirrored horizontally

Hmmm, I found out, using MAME 2000 to play Donkey Kong from that old ROM set that some SFX in-game are missing
I wonder what would be the reason for THAT happening?
that has to do with not using the samples file that has the missing sounds

MollyChan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that has to do with not using the samples file that has the missing sounds
Ah
Would I be able to somehow locate said sample files from a later ROM set version of it and add them back into the old version to fix it?
EDIT: Oh, the ROM set I downloaded includes the extra samples. So where do I put them? Do I put them in with the game, or among the BIOS files?

Last edited by MollyChan,

Rendition

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I have this issue with Mame 2000, where if I load up a rom and then close it. And then load up another second rom, it loads the first rom instead.
I tried it on both the latest Mame 2000 1.5 version and 1.3 version and get the same issue.

Any way to fix this? I don't have this problem with any of my other 3ds (Neogeo, snes, genesis, CPS1) emulators.

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I have this issue with Mame 2000, where if I load up a rom and then close it. And then load up another second rom, it loads the first rom instead.
I tried it on both the latest Mame 2000 1.5 version and 1.3 version and get the same issue.

Any way to fix this? I don't have this problem with any of my other 3ds (Neogeo, snes, genesis, CPS1) emulators.

Nope, that's been a longstanding issue with the 3DS version of MAME 2000.

Billybong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont know if been asked but didn't want to filter through 297 pages either.. just wondering if any if the 3ds cores support local netplay?

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh, what's the latest actually working build of PCSX REarmed? I've tried 1.5.0 and some nightlies and all seem to make the app crash when you load the core.

Reactions: Usl5264
D

Deleted User

To anybody using gambatte, are you able to get Pokemon Prism to run successfully?

I'm using the 1.5 stable builds, and while I've been able to get it running successfully on my PC, I can't seem to get it working on my 3DS. What happens is that it boots, gets to a while screen, then freezes once the emulation hits 15 frames exactly. It doesn't accept any input at all and I have to force a shutdown.

Any suggestions?

ZipZash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help with the cheats? It doesn't let me load any .cht files I make or the ones that I saved from creating it within the core. It doesn't show up when I try to load them.

EDIT: I've fixed my issue. My cheat directory was not set and when I set the path to the folder where I keep all my cheats, it finally recognized them. Keeping comment here for anyone with a similar issue.

Last edited by ZipZash,

someguy12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a (hopefully) dumb question about PCSX Rearmed. I can't get the analog stick to work in any of the games I play. I can only move with the d-pad. For example, I can't play Legend of Mana with the stick, only the d-pad. If I go into the Core Input Settings, it doesn't let me choose the analogue stick as a remap for the d-pad either. Any idea what's going on?

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the most stable version of gpSP? I'm just getting so sick of the constant crashes on 1.5.0, it's driving me completely insane. Are the nightlies any more stable or should I just go back to an older version?

nightbreed813

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure? I play GBA Emulator on old 3ds and any problem , Neo Geo I think need change configuration (maybe) to run but I try 3 diferent games and always says error
Shouldn't have said "that's it" because there are many less demanding games that can run from any system. All depends on the game you want to play. Personally I had a lot of slow downs playing GBA so I used injections instead until I got my n3ds, but ymmv of course.

@JasonPK92 I have had crashes on every version of gpsp even the nightlys which half the time is completely broken.

Last edited by nightbreed813,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-