Homebrew Retroarch CIA on 11.9?

glxl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a N2DSXL, and I'm wondering if there's any way to get Retroarch running. In its current state, any attempt to launch Retroarch causes an immediate crash to the home menu.

11.9.0-42U

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still boots me back.
Are you using RetroArch v1.7.5 from this thread?
Make a fresh setup. Delete the current retroarch folder, add a new folder copy back onto the SD card, and reinstall the retroarch_3ds.cia.

If it still doesn't work, look for the dspfirm.cdc audio file found in the sdmc:/3ds folder. Should you find this missing, dump it with DSP1.

Finally, my last suggestion if RetroArch still fails to work for you is to:
  1. Copy everything off the SD card onto a computer.
  2. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size with Windows File Explorer or guiformat (bigger than 32 GB).
    • You may choose 64 KB cluster size only if the card is 128 GB or larger.
  3. Full Write + Verify Test the empty card with H2testw for hardware defects. Do not skip this step.
  4. Delete the *.h2w test files if the card passes.
    • If an error was reported, you'll need to replace the card. Go back to step 1 or 2.
  5. Copy everything back onto the card. Reinsert into the 3DS, turn the system on, and hold (Select) to access Luma3DS configuration.
    • Use these settings.
    • luma_config.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of your suggestions don't work, any other ideas?
Eh, interesting. Are you by any chance using anything else other than Luma3DS v9.1, boot9strap v1.3 [or fastboot3DS v1.1 stable], and GodMode9 v1.7.1 for your setup?

The only other suggestion is to try the *.3dsx version of the Retroarch. Do note that the *.3dsx and *.cia releases are not same because they have different cores in the cores folder. You can have both installed but need to add both *.3dsx and *.cia core files in that folder.

If the *.3dsx branch also doesn't work, the next question to ask is what system(s) are you trying to emulate? Take a look in this list for substitutes.

glxl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made sure to follow 3ds.hacks.guide, and I'm not even trying to emulate anything at this point, I just want to start the damn thing.

Also, the time on your computer's screwed up.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made sure to follow 3ds.hacks.guide, and I'm not even trying to emulate anything at this point, I just want to start the damn thing.
I took a look at the v1.7.5 *.cia version and ended up booting with this error. My n3DSXL is on 11.9.0-42U firmware.

retroarch-cia-error.png

I deleted the *.cfg files to see if this changed anything and it did not. From my previous testing, retroarch worked fine when you have both *.cia and *.3dsx branches. The only thing to look out for was deleting the *.cfg files in the event you switch between the two.

Try the *.3dsx release as it appears this could be an issue with the *.cia not working with 11.9.

Also, the time on your computer's screwed up.
Can you clarify this statement?

Edit - Okay so I renamed my retroarch folder to something else and added a new one (from CIA release). I got the app to load although it appears it installed the 2048 core as the default.
@glxl, I wish I knew what else to tell you to try out but don't have a clue as to why yours isn't working. Sorry, man.

retroarch-cia-v1-7-5.png

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reinstalling the cia and all the files needed to run retroarch.
I don't get an error on the HOME menu of the 3ds (new3dsxl Hyrule Gold Edition.) However when I had a 3ds now broken (new red 3ds xl) This would probably be (most likely) a conformity to meet and stand up with, without having to even install the retrorach cia file

Of course I never used retroarch on the older 3ds I had. However its likely I wouldn't have gotten it able to work anyway despite the things in the way or process, to get that type of Homebrew running, its difficult.

Coming to formaillity, there's no way to say for certain why an error is thrown on the .CIA version of Retroarch or the .3dsx so this can be said for certain that the useage of retroarch is straight forward but also unknown. Based on this information it would be better to use one of the recent injectors made so you could play the games in .cia format (SNES VC Injector for instance.)

This can't be taken lightly when it comes to problems like this, to state the facts as they are; some people are still out there and they will be plotting and expanding the course of Retroarch so to speak (i'm sorry)

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think 1.7.5 is broken. Try the latest nightly build.

You need to install all the CIA in the retroarch folder.

Basically, if you've installed only one CIA things won't work.

You need to install multiple CIA and have them present in the retroarch folder.

Last edited by matt!,

glxl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think 1.7.5 is broken. Try the latest nightly build.

You need to install all the CIA in the retroarch folder.

Basically, if you've installed only one CIA things won't work.

You need to install multiple CIA and have them present in the retroarch folder.
Like, I put the CIA in the Retroarch directory?

glxl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could this be the old bug with XMB menu driver? I heard it was supposed to be fixed but maybe text edit your config file to use the 'rgui' menu driver instead.
Problem is, I don't even have a configuration file generated at all, and I have no idea where to put a blank one with configuration.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With a fresh start.

Make sure to have any extisting retroarch .cia's uninstalled. And remove the retroarch folder from your sd.

- Download the latest nightly .cia build, here
Inside you'll find 2 folders; cia and retroarch

- Copy the Retroarch_3ds.cia, from the cia folder, to your SD. Anywhere.
- Copy the complete 'retroarch' folder to the root your SD. 'sdmc:/retroarch/'

- Install the Retroarch_3ds.cia.
- Try to load it.

Inside 'sdmc:/retroarch/cores/' you'll find all available cores. On first boot, the retroarch_3ds.cia, will try to load the first found core in the core folder. This usually would be 81_libretro.cia. If not installed, it will try to install it, and then load it.

If this doesn't work, try to install one of the .cia cores found in the cores folder, and launch it directly. It should generate the .cfg files, and then you can quit through the retroarch menu.
After which you should be able to start from the Retroarch_3ds.cia.

The .3dsx and .cia builds can be used together, BUT, once you've loaded a rom it's set to that *core*.3dsx or .cia.
If you switch and try to load the same rom again, you have to 'Reset Core Association', found in the menu after selecting the rom. Or it will give an error about the core not found.

It will lookup the available cores in the cores folder for the format you've launched. 3dsx. or .cia

edit: Also, the Retroarch_3ds.cia will try to load the last used core. If this core is a .3dsx or an outdated .cia, retroarch will crash. You'll have to load a .cia core directly before using the retroarch_3ds.cia again.

If this still doesn't work, you'll have to give us more info about the crash. And it's probably also not retroarch related it that case. Hope this will help.

Last edited by MrHuu,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nightly builds are being build automatically by a buildbot every day from the latest source code.
Without any checks for bugs or unfinished code. So these builds may work fine or crash right away.

The stable builds, usually has a lot of bugs fixed and is being checked by the libretro team members.
Some time before releasing the stable builds they stop adding more features and focus on bug fixing, and if they are satisfied they make the stable release.

Unfortunatly, because.. well none of the libretro team members are actively developing the 3ds port, they don't take the 3ds builds in account when making the stable release, which usually results in the stable release being unstable, which is then fixed again in the nightly available builds.

In this particular case, use the nightly builds. Otherwise stable builds are usually reccommended.

I don't know if you got it running already.. otherwise the only thing i could think of is a missing DSP dump.
Like TurdPooCharger already mentioned, make sure you have the dump available before running retroarch.

Install and execute:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsp1-a-new-dsp-dumper-cia-for-better-stability.469461/

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nightly builds are being build automatically by a buildbot every day from the latest source code.
Without any checks for bugs or unfinished code. So these builds may work fine or crash right away.

The stable builds, usually has a lot of bugs fixed and is being checked by the libretro team members.
Some time before releasing the stable builds they stop adding more features and focus on bug fixing, and if they are satisfied they make the stable release.

Unfortunatly, because.. well none of the libretro team members are actively developing the 3ds port, they don't take the 3ds builds in account when making the stable release, which usually results in the stable release being unstable, which is then fixed again in the nightly available builds.

In this particular case, use the nightly builds. Otherwise stable builds are usually reccommended.

I don't know if you got it running already.. otherwise the only thing i could think of is a missing DSP dump.
Like TurdPooCharger already mentioned, make sure you have the dump available before running retroarch.

Install and execute:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsp1-a-new-dsp-dumper-cia-for-better-stability.469461/

I just downloaded the latest nightly build of Retroarch (1/14). However, when I opened up the directory to put my GBA bios in, I cannot find it. I'm pretty sure last time it said to place the GBA bios in SD://retroarch/cores/system/, but the new retroarch folder does not have a /system/ folder in the /cores/ folder. Help?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just downloaded the latest nightly build of Retroarch (1/14). However, when I opened up the directory to put my GBA bios in, I cannot find it. I'm pretty sure last time it said to place the GBA bios in SD://retroarch/cores/system/, but the new retroarch folder does not have a /system/ folder in the /cores/ folder. Help?

You can just create the folder, location hasn't changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1