Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of ever getting an MSX core on this thing? BlueMSX-Wii is over two years old and it's difficult to just run a random ROM on it without configuring the XML. Maybe you can use openmsx.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's the very same core yes. There might be some 'reentrant' bugs in the libretro version though that only manifest themselves after having loaded a 'successive amount of SG-1000' ROMs though - I haven't really tested SG-1000 ROMs that much.
To me this happens to all cores.
Loading a lot of games after each other.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Any chance of ever getting an MSX core on this thing? BlueMSX-Wii is over two years old and it's difficult to just run a random ROM on it without configuring the XML. Maybe you can use openmsx.
?, no it's not.
Bleu msx does not need xml editing to get the games working.
At least the version I got does'nt. ( it came with all games...)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to let you guys know something that sucks........

Wii-U does not support 240p, due to the GPU firmware supporting 480i at the minimum and 1080p at the maximum, so if you want to play your Virtual Console Wii-U (or vWii) games on a SDTV, then your out of luck. On my SD CRT I've checked out F-Zero on Wii-U and it looks much worse than F-Zero on Wii (due to no native resolution support). Its a less detailed, less sharp, jittery flickering pile of diarrhea that's void of scanlines. Enjoy! (or you could play them on Retroarch in their native resolution! (NOT vWii ether, again, due to GPU firmware limitations)
This is the main reason my WiiU gets almost NO playtime.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the main reason my WiiU gets almost NO playtime.

Or, you know, play them on the Wii? Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a Wii U, the games look better on the game pad than the TV. Nintendo had no reason to support 240p, and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. Either use the Wii's VC or the Wii U on the game pad.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Or, you know, play them on the Wii? Kinda defeats the purpose of getting a Wii U, the games look better on the game pad than the TV. Nintendo had no reason to support 240p, and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. Either use the Wii's VC or the Wii U on the game pad.
Yes, my Wii has been booted almost everyday since release.
Really, almost everyday.

My WiiU on the other hand, first week only. Basicly the same as my PS3.
Both consoles look crap on my T.O.T.L CRT.
I could get a slg3000 with a line doubler to make up for it on my LCD.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=slg3000&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQtwIwBg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3sb__XK0FQ&ei=PZs1UZ-dJILfOsXegMAM&usg=AFQjCNH9Tl01mApW8k27fu86c7m_nmmq8Q&bvm=bv.43148975,d.ZWU

http://strike-devices.net/index.php/arcade/slg-3000/

http://joca-tech.de/xtcmodified/

At least the WiiU has component output, otherwise I would have been completely out of luck.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, my Wii has been booted almost everyday since release.
Really, almost everyday.

My WiiU on the other hand, first week only. Basicly the same as my PS3.
Both consoles look crap on my T.O.T.L CRT.
I could get a slg3000 with a line doubler to make up for it on my LCD.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=slg3000&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CFEQtwIwBg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3sb__XK0FQ&ei=PZs1UZ-dJILfOsXegMAM&usg=AFQjCNH9Tl01mApW8k27fu86c7m_nmmq8Q&bvm=bv.43148975,d.ZWU

http://strike-devices.net/index.php/arcade/slg-3000/

http://joca-tech.de/xtcmodified/

At least the WiiU has component output, otherwise I would have been completely out of luck.

That SLG3000 Scanline Generator might be the only real solution, but isn't that making the HDTV do things it was never meant to do and possibly end up damaging it? I mean, all I see are VGA ports and nothing to connect a Wii to the TV with....?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
About the SG 1000 genesis plus GX RA core dump, i get it even after only 4 to 6 loads, not 10s of them.
Btw has anyone gotten Virtua Racing to run with the GPGX core? I yes, please pm me the origin of the rom you have. I must have bad roms cause i have tried 4 different roms so far and while all of them work in the standalone GP GX i get a core dump or a black screen in RA GP GX core.

[Off topic]: Wii is my favorite console ever too, and i've been gaming for 24 years so far. Man Wii & DS were an awesome combo MUCH better than GC & GBA or N64 & GBC in my book. [/off topic]

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That SLG3000 Scanline Generator might be the only real solution, but isn't that making the HDTV do things it was never meant to do and possibly end up damaging it? I mean, all I see are VGA ports and nothing to connect a Wii to the TV with....?
No.
Read up about this.
It's not letting your tv do things it's not suppose to, how did you came to that ridiculous assumption?
I can tell you are not very tech savvy, lol.
These devices were SOLELY meant for the purpose of getting a BETTER image on an LCD tv when using retro consoles/boards etc. Because low res images look absolutely HORRIBLE on flatpanels.
Sprites lack depth, and there's always ghosting and blurring going on.

In order to use this device, you'll need a PROPER lcd tv with a sub-d 15 input.
The slg-3000 generates scanlines on a 640 x 480 signal.
In order to get you Wii signal into the SLG , you'll need a Scaler/Line doubler with component inputs and vga output. the output of the scaler connects to the SLG and the SLG is connected to your tv via D-sub 15.
Audio can be send from your component leads using a tulip to minijackplug cable. Better scalers can handle the audio aswell. All in all this will cost you about 100 euro's but will get you RAZOR sharp ( No blurring anymore )
Images with the addition of nostalgic ( generated ) scanlines.

There'salso a cheaper version available wich requires a RGB Scart lead.
It's the SLG-scart, it workes but the image is of lower quiality than the above mentioned solution.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
About the SG 1000 genesis plus GX RA core dump, i get it even after only 4 to 6 loads, not 10s of them.
Btw has anyone gotten Virtua Racing to run with the GPGX core? I yes, please pm me the origin of the rom you have. I must have bad roms cause i have tried 4 different roms so far and while all of them work in the standalone GP GX i get a core dump or a black screen in RA GP GX core.

[Off topic]: Wii is my favorite console ever too, and i've been gaming for 24 years so far. Man Wii & DS were an awesome combo MUCH better than GC & GBA or N64 & GBC in my book. [/off topic]

Virtua Racing definitely does work.

Regarding the core dumps you get after loading 4 or 6 ROMs one after another - odds are that it's memory leaks in the original emulators. You're better off just going to Settings and pressing 'Restart retroArch' after 1 or 2 ROMs (which should take maybe less than 5 secs) so that you start off with a clean slate.

All I can do is ensure that there are no memory leaks on the RetroArch side - and if I do encounter a memory leak on the core side - try to fix it.

If there are still memory leaks in RetroArch I could look at that - but I'm not aware of any right now.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
No.
Read up about this.
It's not letting your tv do things it's not suppose to, how did you came to that ridiculous assumption?
These devices were SOLELY meant for the purpose of getting a BETTER image on an LCD tv when using retro consoles/boards etc. Because low res images look absolutely HORRIBLE on flatpanels.

In order to get you Wii signal into the SLG , you'll need a Scaler/Line doubler with component inputs and vga output. the output of the scaler connects to the SLG and the SLG is connected to your tv via D-sub 15.
Audio can be send from your component leads using a tulip to minijackplug cable. Better scalers can handle the audio aswell. All in all this will cost you about 100 euro's but will get you RAZOR sharp ( No blurring anymore )

It's the SLG-scart, it workes but the image is of lower quiality than the above mentioned solution.
T'sup Hielkanator, maybe u can answer my question w/o making me feel stupid :P lol. I am tech savvy however these products and methods are completely foreign to me, and since u are obviously more knowledgeable in that area than I, I'd like to pick your brain first if i can then afterwards look into it further.

You mentioned Euros, but I'm in the US. Will the method you described above work for an NTSC plasma TV with with a sub-d 15 input? Would I get the same drastic increase in picture quality with a flat screen plasma. I'll send u a link to the TV I'm looking to purchase soon if that helps. TIA.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
Read up about this.

I said what I said because I'm a apparently a mindless non tech-savvy noob who likes to make ridiculous assumptions about topics I know nothing about. After all, I wouldn't want to say any snide remarks since you're the all-knowing technology oracle. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

So sorry for not being up to date with niche technology

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
^^ LMFAO!!!! I think your going to have to accept the fact that whenever someone can, they're going to try to bite your head off at this point. BTW thanks for your insight on my GBA question.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ LMFAO!!!! I think your going to have to accept the fact that whenever someone can, they're going to try to bite your head off at this point. BTW thanks for your insight on my GBA question.

No, at this point, since everyone seemingly and justifiably hates me for being a dickhead, they're going to converge and emasculate me with their razor sharp teeth instead of biting my head off, although that latter would be preferred over losing my manhood. Now, then.

Not sure why what I said amuses you, but whatever.

nintygaming

No Longer An Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For you guys trying to achieve proper CRT-like emulation on a LCD or Plasma I have to say "Dear God no! Please!"

Haha......

Seriously though, the scanline generator is a great idea, but the timing is too early. Current displays just have no where near high enough contrast ratio to really benefit from scanline shading and the kind of filtering these games need to look as they were intended to look. And lets not forget the motion blur that is inherit in all flat panels currently, even Plasma, whether you notice it or not, its still there and turns a sharp image into a soft image while in motion. If you really want a convincing CRT look, then OLED will "most likely" be the solution due to its super-high contrast, and "supposedly" zero motion blur. But OLED has been delayed over and over again, so who know's when it will finally be released in affordable fashion?

Your best bet is to find a cheap Trinitron CRT and use it exclusively for standard definition content.

aea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if or what you are doing wrong, but this is an invalid report you're raising. Extracted files from the ZIP are cleaned up when

a) you unload the ROM (by loading a new one), or
b) exit RetroArch.

Well, I downloaded again RA gamecube and tested 2 SNES games, when I checked again my roms folder I noticed a rom name duplicated but not was the case I spected: the other file had the .sram extension what means that the other times what I saw were game automatic game saves that the emulator generate automaticly when a game has battery and in my case it put them in the same folder as my roms because I didn´t configurated where to place those saves, so I look like a dumb because of making that report. The matter is that this is the first time RA is released for one of my consoles, so I have to adapt tp it.
But anyway, I have to ask you something :where do you get the fles you place in the system folder? In my case I downloaded the neogeo.zip bios to play the neogeo roms that I´ve heard that works, Last Resort and Blues Journey, only Last Resort worked. The size of my neogeo.zip is 1.54 mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Date sticks