ROM Hack Retro Game Master "Undub" (English/Japanese Audio Swap)

Jolundus

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new to the DS scene. I have been playing a lot of Retro Game Master, and I found the American voice dubs to be very annoying, so instead of playing the game with the sound off, I decided to swap in the sound files from the Japanese release of the game (Game Center CX) for a better audio experience.
Nothing has been modified apart from the game icon (switched (U) with (J)) and the voice samples.
This is my first time "hacking" a DS rom, although it's not a very technical hack, I'm happy that it works perfectly. Enjoy :D

xDelta patch -
http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/r...ub-english-japanese-audio-swap-10-f31550.html

PS:
Sorry if this post isn't in the proper format for this forum, I'm still figuring out how things work here.

Edit- I made a mistake in the thread title, it should be "Retro Game Challenge". I blame a total lack of sleep.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for confirming it worked- we had a few requests in the past and though the files seemed the same I did not test it out.

That said I am afraid we can not really distribute undub patches unless they are things like remap patches for games that included the Japanese track as a hidden option (see I think it was Portrait of Ruin)- the Japanese sound track is still under copyright and you are effectively distributing it by means of your patch.
You can however make a batch file and tell people to get the ROM images themselves and have the batch file do all the work.

Jolundus

OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

If any one wants to do it manually, it's really easy to do. You need to unpack both versions of the rom, there are two sound files under the "data/sound" directory. Copy the sound files from the (J) rom to the (U) rom and then repack the (U) rom. I played the modified rom for about an hour and a half so far, no freezing, and the voice samples sounded correctly placed compared to the (J) rom.

SIX min WHISTLE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, I can confirm that this is very easy to do. I just Google how to pack and unpack the ROMs and it was very straight forward.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~