Retro Entertainment System Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Another World
    OP

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    369.jpg

GBAtemp is proud to present a review of the Retro Entertainment System from Retro-bit. The RES is an 8-bit NES hardware "clone" packed into a tiny little box. With a high compatibility rate and Everdrive N8 compatibility, its $14.99 price point make it a console to consider. Take a moment to read over the review and then let us know what you think! If you own the RES, be sure to post your comments about the system.

:arrow: Retro Entertainment System Review by Another World

tbb043, Xabring, Adeka and 2 others like this.

2. MhaiderR

MhaiderR Banned

Banned
    Aug 28, 2015
    nice!!

3. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    This review isn't very good. It should state specifically how its limitations compare to those of other Famiclones.

enarky likes this.
  4. dmace81

dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2008
    United States
    Its cheap and that's nice but it looks like if you dropped it it'd break into a million pieces unlike the tough nes

5. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
    That.
    And I'd be worried about pressing anything on the controller.
    Might be your last press.

dmace81 likes this.
  6. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    That would require copies of all those other clones though.

7. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    for 15 bucks, i guess it doesnt matter, but ... why do clones all come with that circle d-pad?

8. sporkonomix

sporkonomix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    United States
    It's probably related to patents. Nintendo patented the original Control Pad, which is why Sega, Sony, and Microsoft all use different "D-Pad" looks and functions.

9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    The price here is perfect.

I wonder if it can survive being stepped on a couple times.

10. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    this is a review of the RES, it is not a comparison and contrast piece about it versus other "clones". saying the entire review is "not good" because it did not meet your specific needs is ridiculous.

-another world

11. enarky

enarky owls?

Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    I don't think people who clone entire consoles care one bit about patent issues...

12. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    The NES was made long enough ago that all the patents have expired.

13. ironmaster49

ironmaster49 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2015
    Woah, some more nes clones/famiclones still being made. Well, i just use my ds for portable nes emulation and pc for normal or raspberry pi with nes case and a cathode ray tv for an authentic experience. This doesn't look very durable though, and does this run NES at full speed? i have a genesis clone that only runs at 50 percent speed. Does this emulate or is it a result of backwards engineering and this runs NES and famicom titles natively? But its a cheap little thing, at 15 usd

14. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    wow it's cheaper than "Xplay" , an brazilian famiclone, that use the famicom cart patterns (maybe can play nes with an adaptator) but I don't know about quality, speed and compatibility, the controll port is like mega drive one and the controller ps1 looking with 6 buttons ( idk why don't just make a nes/famicon looking one, would be cheaper? hahah maybe just follow the mega drive pattern as well...). It was to come with a Gun/zapper but looks like they stopped because new TVs have different image patterns so it don't work (don't working there with this retro maybe could be your TV fault, not the nesclone xD) , I think they don't do packs with the gun anymore ... also it comes with " 101" games inside but I have no idea wich they are :v
    I plan getting one someday, just waiting the prices down to R$50 or lower again :B but my real desire is for an real famicom XD
    also here how it's look:
    [​IMG]

Foud the game list lol funny that don't have mario
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Sliter, Sep 7, 2015
  15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    My only concern with these Famiclones is the quality of the emulation itself. My roommate got a clone a while back, not sure which one, but the audio emulation was absolute garbage compared to the real deal. How does the audio emulation accuracy fare in this? :P I knew how bad it was based off how SMB3 sounded.

16. sporkonomix

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    United States
    Technically this isn't emulation. It's an attempt to create the same hardware, probably via reverse-engineering. SMB3 is a great test case for testing sound accuracy, since it uses a few advanced sounds that aren't found in a lot of other NES games.

the_randomizer likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Er, that's what I meant lol, the famiclone I saw my roommate use had garbage sound, it didn't sound anywhere near how the real hardware or Nestopia sounded. Does this sound anywhere close to it?

18. sporkonomix

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    United States
    Ah, okay, haha. I'm not sure about the RES. Maybe OP can chime in and comment about audio. I know if I was considering a machine like this, the audio needs to be perfect.

19. osirisjem

osirisjem Wii U: Y U No Sell ?

Jun 19, 2011
    Canada
  20. Another World
    OP

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    the audio sounded fine to me. its not like i tested with software to check for latency issues or anything. it has the same missing FM channel for FDS games as the NES. i grew up on these games, this is my youth, and not once was i testing something and felt like "wow the audio is really off" or "something is wrong with the audio". one thing that continually pops-up related to sound and compatibility is the AC adapter. firstly, that video sounds fine to me I don't hear the "distortion" the person is talking about. secondly, i would require that person to test with another AC adapter and then on original hardware before believing anything.

with that said, if you have concerns you might consider contacting retro-bit directly.

https://www.facebook.com/Retrobitgaming
    info @ retro-bit.com

-another world