Retail psp 3000

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Black_Knight_666, May 27, 2011.

May 27, 2011

Retail psp 3000 by Black_Knight_666 at 2:24 AM (911 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Black_Knight_666
    OP

Member Black_Knight_666 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    If i was to buy a brand new retail psp 3000, what firmware would it usually have?

2. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand
    all psps come with the latest fw, so 6.39?

Here in NZ, they still sell 4g 3k's brand new, and my friend got one but it might have had 6.38, dunno how he hacked it otherwise..

3. yokomoko

Newcomer yokomoko Advanced Member

United States
    I bought a new PSP-3000 last month and I believe it had firmware 6.31, when at the time the latest firmware was 6.37 or 6.38. I bought my 3000 from Walmart as they have by far the most lenient return policy and I knew if my PSP's firmware was unhackable I could just take it back with no hassles.

4. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It doesn't matter right now what firmware it comes with. They have released downgraders for 6.38 and the newest 6.39. Therefore, it wouldn't matter if you cared about downgrading, homebrew, or illegal activities.

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    It's HUGELY unlikely it'd have a firmware above 6.35....expect something like 6.31 if yokomoko's recollection is good.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    All PSP comes with the latest firmware at their time of production.

Assembling, packaging, and shipping a PSP isn't done overnight.

7. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I got 3 weeks ago a brand new PSP3000 piano black from amazon and it had a 6.20 firmware on it 04g board.
    Couldn't be happier with it.

8. tenko

Newcomer tenko Newbie

United States
    Seems like there is no clear answer. If it helps, two weeks ago I bought a "new" PSP 3000 at Target. It was on 6.37, so I returned it (of course, that doesn't matter now because of the 6.38/6.39 downgrader). Yesterday I bought a 3000 at another store, and it was 6.30. So go figure. I think 6.35+ is what you'll generally find.

9. Rydian

United States
    A PSP can't be downgraded below the firmware it comes with, so it should be a PSP that comes with 6.35 or below.

10. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not true. Have had this also with a 3k that was on 6.37 but 6.35 was possible. That and i had a go on 6.20 that could also handle 5.70. Both came with the later version of firmware yet both downgradable..

Granted however there is a risk to any downgrading on the "un-hackables". However just dismissing something as not dooable is just silly.

All 1k in my experience can all go down to 1.00. Maybe the motherboard is the culpret here..... hmmm...

11. Rydian

United States
    Came with out of the box? Retail UMDs will try to update the system before they play, so it's not uncommon to get a used PSP at a later firmware than it came with. Considering nobody's seen a Go come with anything lower than 5.70 I'm willing to bet that's your case.

12. realveemon

Member realveemon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep to my knowledge... However the GAME and Gamestation round my area tend to lack knowledge when it comes to the handhelds. Went to buy a preowned 1k series and they gave me a 2k...

The thing is it counts with the motherboards so PSPident it and reply what motherboards its packing