Hardware Retail NTSC Metroid Prime Trilogy on a PAL system with Wiikey 1.9s?

KiddDaBeauty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my Wiikey for ages, sadly most people seem to have moved on to softmodding, making the wiki here not mention what games can be run across regions.

What I wonder is this, does anyone have any idea if an NTSC retail copy of MPT would run on my PAL wii with 1.9s? My chip firmware is set to try to boot all regions (although I know the support is far from perfect) and ignore any updates on the disc.

Before anyone asks me to softmod, I'd prefer to do that only if this doesn't work
happy.gif
x;

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Some people were having issues with retail MP:T on Wiikey. I think the retail Brawl fix in 1.9s was hardcoded in specifically for Brawl... it won't run for MP:T.

KiddDaBeauty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean I won't even be able to play a retail PAL version?
ohmy.gif

EDIT: But I could buy the game and run it via a backup, I guess? Backup works?
happy.gif
x;

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the backup works with a chip, then the retail will also work. The chip makes it so the Wii thinks backups are original discs, whereas softmods make the Wii not care that it's reading a non-original disc.

I don't know specifically but as far as I know there's no new protection against chips, but since you're running it from a different region then you may need to run it through a newer version of Gecko OS (with the error 002 fix). It's a good idea to have Gecko OS installed on your Wii (all you need is to install the HBC and then run it from an SD card) in case of NTSC games not working with your chip's region free, and you don't have to go through the hassle of installing custom IOSes and backup loaders and this and that etc...

It mostly causes problems mostly because it's dual layer: dual layers and softmods don't mix as well as single layers do, and some Wii drives with grubby lenses don't like dual layer discs (especially burned dual layers).

Unless some new protection was introduced (in which case we would've heard about it by now), you'll definitely be able to play a retail PAL version the same as if you didn't have a chip.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is the Wiikey, not any new protection. Wiikey did not work for the retail Brawl (but worked for backups) and that's what the 1.9s update fixed. I heard one report of retail MP:T not working on Wiikey 1.9s in an earlier thread but your mileage may vary...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?