Hacking restoring nand on bootmii ios brick?

UncleIroh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello! after following modmii and letting the console sit for a week or two it would boot to a black screen. i was able to load up bootmii since it was set to be an ios. i did a nand restore like a fucking idiot so now i lost bootmii and the wii still boots to a black screen. the only thing i can think of is the theme that failed to install like 8 times with mymenufymod, although it failed to install/initiate every time. i just wanna know if this console is good to smash. it came from a junkyard so there could be a variety of issues causing this. thank you all for your time and cheers!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
When u restored the nand backup, it would've restored it to be exactly like the wii was when the backup was made. So if it was working and didn't have a theme when the backup was made, restoring the nand backup would have restored the stock theme and should have fixed the problem. It's hard to determine the root cause of the initial issue, but if a working nand restore didn't resolve it, it could likely be a hardware issue. Are u sure nothing out of the ordinary was done to the wii, other than failing to install a theme?
the only thing i did besides following the guide was add hid_test to the apps folder to configure my usb controller. the guide had me install WADs but the console worked perfectly fine afterwards. there is something loose in the console but i believe it was there before the black screen issue, ill take the system apart to determine what it is. thanks for the fast reply!

Just copying and pasting our private convo here since you asked the same Q in both places

UncleIroh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, i received a notification stating that pms were not allowed so i didnt know whether or not you had gotten it.

upon taking the console apart i have found what was making the noise. a piece of plastic was loose inside the system.

at this point i assume i am to disconnect everything and rebuild the system while cleaning it, but im going to avoid that for now as i dont believe thats the issue. i really dont understand what could have went wrong. after modding the wii to get usbloader working i stopped using it because i had no motion plus on my controller for skyward sword. because of this the console sat for a week or two. to my knowledge nothing has happened to the system.

does shorting the 12v dc in damage the system? i know those have crossed a couple of times but the system would just crash and id have to restart it. psu is working, but could my amperage be too low? i dont have a wii psu so i wired a 12v 5a supply to it.

i have read that the wireless modules could cause this issue, and i wouldnt doubt it seeing how the wii doesnt have a front cover and its been abused. although i did not seem to have many issues with the controller

i will forward this to you since i dont know if a thread will notify you.

UncleIroh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the dvd drive can read gc games as well as eject them. the only wii game i have is very scratched but it can also be ejected. the drive is a bit finicky and I have no way of confirming it actually reads anymore since I removed bootmii with the nand restore. it is possible it is the culprit, although it still takes and ejects discs.

I will be swapping out the Bluetooth module when I receive it.

as of now I have no troubleshooting steps I know of taking and will occasionally search for answers whiles also returning here to check.

thanks for the help and thanks to anyone else that gets this far. cheers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill