Homebrew Question Restore OFW with old firmware version + bypass with rcm + updating = banned?

xmfreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi guys, I would like to know if I'll get banned by booting OFW through RCM. I guess I know the answer, but I want to be sure.

My girlfriend bought the new pokemon game and she asked me if she can go online with it, so I was thinking about restoring by nand backup because I'll be out for a week and I won't be using the switch.

I made a nand backup after booting once into CFW (reinand) but I didn't do anything (not installing nsp or anything else). Then I updated OFW to 6.0.1 and then I enabled autorcm and never again used OFW again.

My question is if I can go back to OFW (5.0.1), start it thorugh rcm and update OFW to latest version without getting banned.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you burnt your fuses when updating to 6.0.1 from 5.0.1 I don't think there is any way to go back to your NAND backup which means your switch is pretty well tainted and I wouldn't recommend going online.

If you did not burn your fuses when updating from 5.0.1 to 6.0.1 (aka updating via choidujour) you can restore your 5.0.1 NAND backup and be back to a clean(er) point, then update regularly to 6.1.0 (which would burn your fuses), and you might "theoretically" be safe as long as you don't touch CFW. Though nothing is guaranteed.

The rule of thumb is never touch CFW without doing a clean NAND backup, and never burn fuses past the point of your clean NAND backup.

There is no true way of being completely safe from ban. I have a primary switch for OFW and online play. I did back up and restore some saves on it back in the FW 4.1 days and did not get banned yet. I have never tripped an error on my switch via homebrew nor have I done anything that would cause too much suspicion (like installing dev menu or any illegal nsps) but just because I am in the clear, doesn't mean that you would be.

xmfreak

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, sooooo I'm f****d up. I didn't use choidujour to update so I'm positive that my fuses are burned. So I'll have to tell my girlfriend that there's no way to go back online again u_u

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, sooooo I'm f****d up. I didn't use choidujour to update so I'm positive that my fuses are burned. So I'll have to tell my girlfriend that there's no way to go back online again u_u

I mean, you could always make a dummy Nintendo account, get the 7 day online service trial and play online till/if you get kicked. I would like to think that if you don't have any homebrew related errors in your log (don't wipe your log either) and don't have any illegal or unsigned nsps installed you should be ok. Like I said, I ran homebrew a few times on my unmodded switch and am not yet banned.

I plan on doing an experiment on my 4.0.1 switch when I find the time. Got my hands on PLGE early and want to see what the ban risks are if I import the early save into my unmodded switch for use with my cart. Cause I really don't want to start the story all over in a few days but will if moving the save means it'll ban me so

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use rcm to bypass the fuse check and get into that ofw backup. However updating to v6 aaain might flag you for a ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-