Resistor lifted off drive board (D2C)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Wilson735, Dec 23, 2008.

Dec 23, 2008
  1. Wilson735
    OP

Member Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok so a damaged Wii came in today for repair. Seems that the customer was trying to solder to a resistor (God knows why) and he lifted the resistor off of the drive board completely. The resistor is shown in the picture below. Note that that is not a picture of the drive I have in my possession, the drive I have is missing that resistor. He wants me to buy another drive for him, and I told him I would, but is there a way to fix this drive? I could use it for a spare..
    What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Repairing surface mounted stuff is a pain but it can be done. Thankfully it is just a resistor too.

Easiest way would be to simply bridge it (I would be surprised if something like that exceeded 1KΩ) and most conductive ink I have used (especially room temperature dried stuff) would render it at about the same resistance. This however it the cowboy method and not one I would like to do for a long term repair.

Better way would be to clean the area (acetone/nail polish remover....) and then use the ink in place of the usual surface mount techniques to stick the resistor down.

Another way would simply be to find a conventional resistor or the same resistance, you could try replacing it using the existing contacts but I see some "waste" copper not far from there which you could bridge to (I would suggest you disconnect a small section with a knife or something first rather than use the lot) and then join the surface mount section over, cut trace further back and join to two halves of new area. Solder as usual.

3. radionds

Newcomer radionds Advanced Member

Brazil
    You can try to find the same resistor SMD for this, and if it's not posible to solder try to do this in another part, just fallow the track and see if you can find another place to put it there..

4. Wilson735
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your help guys.

5. Wilson735
    OP

United States
    Ok so I figured out that the resistor was about 221 Ohms. I soldered in a regular old resistor and it worked like a dream. I also tested it for about 10 hours before closing up the Wii just to be sure.

[​IMG]