[Request] Texting Application

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Alex Spady, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Alex Spady
    OP

Alex Spady GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    On GBAtemp
    Would it be possible to create an application that connects a texting server. For example: The "Text Free" servers. If that part would be possible, could it go further and create a gui interface? This is all just an idea, and keep in mind that I really have no consensus of how these kind of things work. I'd love to help, although I am generally ignorant in coding and such. Any help and responses are greatly appreciated. Have a good one.

[Edit]
    This is no longer a request and has become a project started by a certain group of people. The repository to this project is as follows:
    https://github.com/skewerr/dim

Last edited by Alex Spady, Dec 10, 2015
  2. Stecker8

Stecker8 Plug

Oct 9, 2015
    Here
    I think it will be good

3. MasterFeizz

MasterFeizz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    This is the perfect learning opportunity for you. Instead of offering help, ask for help on how you can develop your own homebrew. It's a fairly simple concept and if you really want to learn I can help you.

4. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    There is nothing special about graphics or networking, if you know c++ then you're all set

5. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    If @Tjessx releases the source code for their Pictochat homebrew(and server), you can use that to begin messing around with sockets.

I like the idea, maybe I can be of some help? I don't know C++, but I know C. Still a beginner, but eager to get involved.

6. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    There you go, you guy's got a team. You don't need the source for Pictochat since you can learn from any socket tutorial on the web, the only thing different you need to do is initialize the SOC service

7. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    I only ever saw basic usage of unix sockets on an IRC bot I refactored, so I'm not really sure how this will go. Does the wiki or the ctrulib examples have any documentation on using sockets on the 3DS? Or is it not the right approach?

8. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    You can learn from BSD sockets tutorial on the net. To initialize the SOC service it's pretty much just 2 commands. You can either write the server and client from scratch, or write just the client to another service.

9. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Thanks for your help. I'm reading the ctrulib examples. Will others in this thread, who wish to help, join an IRC channel? I'm joining a channel on GBAtemp's server in a bit, not sure what I'll call it, but I'll edit this post when I do(or someone could do it and post in this thread). I'll go make some pop tarts.

10. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Wouldn't say I know minimal C. I know C. I'm not an expert C programmer, but I'm very familiar with the language. Never made anything graphical out of comfort with the terminal and lack of interest, but from here on out it's just learning the ins and outs of libraries.

As for your minimal C++, you should know C syntax very well. Take out object oriented aspects, focus on structs and you're left with pretty much C.

11. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Our education systems are different, I don't know what CS101 is supposed to be about. In my college, Programming Logic 1 and 2 are taught in C.

Will do.

12. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Use C, that would be commom ground between you 2

13. jsa

jsa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Devon, UK
    This looks interesting - I'm just learning C right now but I'm going pretty fast as I'm very experienced with PHP (which is C-like).

Might help out at some point. :)

14. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Whenever you guys get stuck, PM me. Also i recommend setting up a git repo

15. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    H e told me he lost the source code. I will see if I have a version somewhere

16. Alex Spady
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    On GBAtemp
    Hello all,
    I appreciate all the support. I am at school right now and am not very flexible as of now. But currently, do any of you have any suggestions of where to start learning a coding language. I remember speaking to "ShinyQuagsire" about starting with python. All your responses are greatly appreciated. I will start to see documentation on these kind of things. Thanks for all the suggestions.

17. MasterFeizz

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    IMHO learn C.

18. Alex Spady
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    On GBAtemp
    Okay. Any suggested documentation for learning?

19. spoonm

spoonm Can count to 3.

May 20, 2015
    Brazil
    Try CodeAcademy. If you want to get involved in the project, we're using C, so that'd be good to learn. Python is a nice first language, but you'll have to abandon OOP concepts when heading to C, or use C++, which we're not.

20. Alex Spady
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    United States
    On GBAtemp
    Okay. What are the big differences in C and C++?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just made a GitHub repository. https://github.com/amspady20/3DSText