[Request] Split this forum for WiiU and vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by scyllahydre, Jun 3, 2015.

?

Split WiiU and vWii hacking forum?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    Hi there,

This request has been done many times and I come here to repeat it with some points on why to do that:

-The last request has been done while the wii u hacking scene was not existing, today some people manage to use some exploit, or even replace some files of some game on the fly. We want a subforum for all that.

-People are confusing WiiU and vWii, and it is getting really anoying. Let's take some example:
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hombrew-help.390007/
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/help-for-a-noob-vwiiu.389322/
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/unmod-wii-u.390070/
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-channel-and-the-wiiu-controller.389684/

-People tend to forget why some thread have been created: some are here to talk about wiiU while people start to talk about vWii, then people tend to stop posting about the wiiU inside it and create another thread to talk about the wiiU. This new thread will end up like the previous one.
    examples:
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-the-wiiu-a-simple-progress-guide.338900/page-47
    The first one, talk about wii u at the beginning and end up on vWii
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-homebrew-discussion.367489/
    The second one, its a mess, like 2 pages on vWii for one page on WiiU, its like impossible to understand what the f*** we are talking about.
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-homebrew-situation-and-faq.367627/
    The third one, the first post says that you SHOULD NOT talk about vWii in that thread while the last page in ALL about the vWii
    >https://gbatemp.net/threads/beginne...me-backups-and-homebrews-on-wiiu-vwii.388448/
    The last one, still on wii U but some posts are on vWii.

I'm sorry if this post is aggressive in any kind of way, but this place is really interesting while being a fcking mess. It's not like people tend to put a [WiiU] or [vWii] tag, people come here and post about whatever they want in the first thread they click on without even thinking about it.

bye guys.

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    this would improve the site

3. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    i would run and take cover now bro lol. im sure people will take this in completely the wrong way (criticism)..... but i do agree at some point it would be nice to split them off

4. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    I'll not take cover and run in any kind of way, even if I'm lurking here, this place is like home. I love gbatemp and what people are creating here. Finding a better way to communicate is my goal through this thread.

Today, if you want to have a compilation of what we're able to do with a Wii U, you have to go through 4 different big thread and 20 small thread which has fallen into the abyss of this subforum. I'm not organized in any kind of way, I don't feel like it's something useful, and I'm surely someone not organized. BUT, sometime you have to be organized especially in a forum where people show there exploit.

That's it, I love this place, and I want to improve it =).

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    The last time this was requested that I can recall, Wii U hacking was still more conceptual than fact with few, if any actual applications and exploits in progress. That was awhile ago though. With that in mind, if organization is becoming a legitimate problem now, it might be time to make the split.

6. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    i was jokeing btw :) and i do agree it should be split off from each other maybe when more things happen on the wii u side of things

7. c80n

c80n GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Venezuela
    I agree with the split.
    And although this is not the proper place for it, they should seriously consider removing some of the stickies in certain places, more specifically the 3DS section. There is an obscene amount of them. Just a friendly suggestion.

8. ddrrmm

ddrrmm GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2007
    United States
    agreed, vwii questions etc dont belong here imo.

9. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Has already been discussed by mods, until there are enough threads to warrant a split (which would require exploits to be out and some homebrew to be started) it's not happening.

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Wii U mode hacking.
    Wii U Wii mode hacking.

I say it's not a bad idea.

VashTS likes this.
  11. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Agreed with most here - should be separated.

12. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    Even if there "aren't enough" Wii U mode threads, it would make things a lot less confusing, and when a Wii U mode thread is created, it would be a lot more visible.

13. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    With all the respect I have for you and your work, that's silly.

Ask people to put tags on their post and respect why threads have been created.

TBH, to be able to follow what's going on with wii U hack, I have to check YOUR post on YOUR profile, while I should be checking a thread about that.

Having an empty forum is less shitty than having this mess, I don't understand where splitting forums would be an heavy step.

14. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    Last time, I was against splitting because there was no progress on Wii U mode hacking besides fail0verflow. While there still isn't a huge amount publicly available, there has been the webkit exploit, progress is ongoing, and there is a good bit of theoretical discussion about it. Furthermore, amiibo hacking is a developing topic that would contribute to the Wii U mode section. As others have mentioned, even if there wouldn't be a lot of content right away, it would at least help to organize things and keep newbie questions in their appropriate place. It would be easier to browse and find information about what you're actually looking for instead of scavenging through all the unrelated information.

A forum split generally happens because there is a significant enough difference between two topics that warrants keeping them separated. The vWii is discussed in this forum even though it is largely the same as the original Wii. It feels kind a bit redundant at times... But the differences were significant enough that they need to be separate so users can easily find what those differences are. (This is also convoluted by the fact that the vWii is technically built into the Wii U, so it would be unfit for the Wii section, but that's ignore that for a moment...) That being the case, I think it is certainly fair to say that Wii U mode (and the hacking progress being made in it) is significantly different from vWii hacking.

15. csgolawliet

csgolawliet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2015
    great idea, at first i thought the vWii was the normal wii forum though

16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    why split if there is nothing for the wiiu mode forum? i mean not until devs actualy start making wiiu homebrew, making a wiiu mode subforum would just be a blank forum with the wiiu hacking discussion thread and that would be it.

17. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Agreed. What is the point at the moment? All we'd end up with on the Wii U side would be multiple wishlists & 'why-isn't-it-fukkin-out-yet??!!11' threads that'd end up staying on topic for about as long as the main hacking thread on here has - and in the best ones we'd get half a dozen relevant posts then it'd degenerate into people pissing and whining because they disagree with someone's opinion, or they can't read a post properly :tpi:, or why-isn't-it-fukkin----yeah you get the picture - that main thread is depressing enough to read (on certain pages) as it is.

18. scyllahydre
    OP

scyllahydre Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2015
    France
    Yeah, it would not change people spaming about release date, but there will not be asking about how to softmod their vWii every 3 posts.

So let's ask the question, what would their be in the wii U forums?

things like this can already be there:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-drc-sim.390217/

Tutorials about openDNS and how to block updates
    Tutorials about any tools to replace files on the fly
    Theories about exploit and ideas

For any people, asking about when it will be out, not being in the subject, whinning or anything like that, there is powerful weapon known for ages on forums which is called "moderators".

Let's take an example, right now, if you go on Wii U hacking topics and some people come to talk about vWii and you delete their posts, they will not understand cause "why are you doing that, vWii is inside the wiiU so that's WiiU hacking", but if their is a vWii forum and a WiiU (not vWii) forum people would understand instantly.

At the same time, mixing both forums would have reason to exist if you were using some WiiU hacking to hack vWii or if you were using some vWii hacking to hack the wiiU, but that's not the case. Both of these system are not linked in any kind of way.

mightymuffy likes this.
  19. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    At this point, a split will help solve a lot more problems than it would cause. I am for the split as well.

20. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    My only reservation is the WiiU scene is so slow, splitting it up would make it even slower.