[request] luma payload to autoboot gamecart

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by migles, Sep 25, 2016.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    is it possible to autoboot a gamecart when we start up the system?
    most disc consoles and even the DS had an option to boot the cards without going trough the menu
    the 3ds takes a few seconds to boot into the menu and then i need to load the cartridge..

an homebrew that i could press a key combination and launch the cart directly without going through the menu would be neat

2. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Isn't there a key combo built in to the 3DS which autoboots the cart?

3. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    only if the system isn't set up.

4. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    never knew there was one for the 3ds
    the key combos i know are the VC ones and start OR select at DS booting for original resolution

5. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Oh right. I've just looked into it and it's ABXYR, but it just black screened when I tried it on my n3DS. If it's possible to boot the cart from A9LH then I could put together a quick payload to do it.

LongTimeLurker likes this.
  6. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    that seems a huge combination for such basic feature... that seems more a combination for some kinda secret recovery menu or something...

7. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    you can only run game cards at boot with the key combination if the system is at initial setup.

8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Not really, you can do it with just one hand - thumb on ABXY, index finger on R. It's easy enough to trigger, but as @ihaveamac has pointed out, it doesn't work once you've completed initial setup (which seems a bit bizarre to me).

I actually don't think A9LH would be able to boot a game card. The game card doesn't contain any operating system, so I assume you need to boot the 3DS firmware to achieve the ability to boot the cart. The best you could probably do would be an A9LH payload which would boot a specific CFW which launches the gamecard as soon as possible after boot. But that would require quite a bit of work, e.g. modifying the home menu to boot the cart straight away, or launching a hax payload and launching the title that way.

LongTimeLurker likes this.
  9. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    there is one other thing but you can't do it with standard game cards: the autoboot flag in the SMDH (icon). you could only really do this with Sky3DS, but there's an autoboot flag in the SMDH that you can enable, and the game will run at boot. Home Menu won't be in the background, so closing the game shuts down the system. it's how demo cards work.

10. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Could CFW spoof the autoboot flag causing it to autoboot? Or does the flag need to be there before CFW would have started?

11. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    cfw is not required for the flag to work, it's required to patch out the signature that would be invalid by you enabling it. if you somehow got ahold of a demo card (or a rom, and put it on Sky3DS), it would launch normally on a stock system.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

actually, I now noticed you said spoofing it, not actually changing it in the rom. I don't know if that's possible.

12. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Yeah, I meant spoofing it so the system believes it exists on a retail cart. I would assume that if the flag is checked for at some point after CFW has had a chance to start up then the check could be patched to force it to return true, or perhaps layeredfs used to replace the SMDH with one which has the flag built-in. This is all way beyond my ability though, if it would even work.