[Request] DS Mode Launcher

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Billy Acuña, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Billy Acuña
    OP

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    I realized that Region Free can't launch DS cartridges.
    Is possible to make a mod of Region Free that launch DS cartridges or even a homebrew that can launch them?

Tigroid likes this.
  2. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    aha?
    :blink:

Tigroid likes this.
  3. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy Moron

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    I think your already able to play ds games from other regions on your 3ds. Don't quote me on that.

Tigroid likes this.
  4. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    DS games are region-free. Excepting some DSi games (with DSi features, but still working on original DS systems). I assume you want something like this so you can launch everything from the Homebrew Launcher, right?

Tigroid likes this.
  5. Billy Acuña
    OP

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2015
    Mexico
    Of course, HBL is getting an alternative of home menu.

Tigroid and Ammako like this.
  6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Apparently we don't quite know how to interact with DS games in HBL.
    Not sure if it's an actual limitation or if it simply can't be done yet. We are already booted into 3DS mode to boot HBL, chances are it's not as simple as changing to DS mode to launch DS games. That's just my guess, at least.
    Though I do wonder if it'd be possible to just read from DS cartridges, for example for dumping DS roms and backing up/restoring save files. That would be super useful.

Tigroid likes this.
  7. _D1360_

_D1360_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2015
    Colombia
    Get a flashcart, it doesn't matter regions.

Only Jesus and Chuck Morris can access DS games from their 3DS HBL.

Tigroid likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Actually DS games where already region-free
    If you mean a DS-Mode launcher for DS roms, your best bet would be to invest in a DS flashcard.

Tigroid likes this.
  9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    DS games? Yeah.
    DSi-enhanced games, though? Those are region-locked when played on a DSi or a 3DS (except the english versions of Pokémon Black/White and Black 2/White 2, for some reason.)

Tigroid likes this.
  10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The only thing that sucks is the DSi-Mode was only hacked by one flashcard and that card lost support shortly afterwards. It is rather disappointing that no one picked up the torch afterwards though. I mean come on Supercard Team, this would have been your time to shine!

11. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Back when I was a Noob Temper, I asked the same question. Unfortunately, the Homebrew Launcher cannot recognise DS games.

Tigroid likes this.
  12. Dramamine!

Dramamine! Member

Newcomer
    Dec 23, 2014
    United States
    Ignoring the regionfree aspect, this would allow people with blocked flashcarts to work on the latest firmware. This could include the simple blocks (Acekard 2i) or the more complex filter that blocks based on hardware.

13. Phanton

Phanton GBAtemp's Nui lover

Sep 9, 2015
    Argentina
    I like how everyone says that DS games are regionfree when OP just wanted to launch them from the HBL(?

Tigroid likes this.
  14. bache

bache GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2009
    This is already possible with the patched DS whitelist CIA.

Tigroid likes this.
  15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    Only on exploitable systems.

I must admit, having a DS cart launcher in the homebrew menu would be awesome. And even though I've unblocked my Acekard2i on my o3ds, it would be supercool if I could also use it on my 10.x n3ds via HBL.

...probably only slightly more plausible than a kernel exploit for latest fw though, but we live in hope.

16. Tapri

Tapri GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Having (at least) a option that allows HBL to read/recognize DS(i) carts where we can extract/inject save files/roms is pretty much a big step and is a step towards what a lot of people want, going so far and adding it to where you can run it in regionfree is something else that i wouldn't be completely expect. Personally, if it ever came to it, i myself would only prefer to be able to extract/inject save files into my retail DS cartridge, i have no problems running it strictly from the 3ds OS just as long as i could make tweaks to my saves whenever i'd like through HBL.

I was talking with someone about this and they had told me that they'd have to write a TWL_FIRM specifically to recognize/run retail DS cartridges, but wasn't sure if it was something strictly from DSi eShop versions or both DS(i) eShop and retail carts.

Imo, i don't think it's as hard as people make it seem. It's just people haven't looked into coding it as extensively as the people who request this would like.

Last edited by Tapri, Oct 24, 2015
    I pwned U!, Tigroid and Ammako like this.
  17. vhaines

vhaines GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2015
    up for this

I pwned U! and Tigroid like this.