HernanZh

OP
Trophies
Website
www.heigames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I often see crappy request for translations for a game. And I mean really crappy and sound so selfish. Some of them are so stupid, e.g. requesting a full translation for Disgaea. Ugh...
So here's a little how to ask for a translation. I hope this will bring the noobiness level down in this forum.

Is the game out yet?
If it's not even out yet, don't ask!

Is it going to get a English release?
Nobody's stupid enough to start a translation if the game is already going to get an English release.
Make sure the game has little to no chance of getting an English release. Do a little research first!

Do you have anything to contribute?
If the answer is no, for god's sake read the next part.
If yes, your chances for getting heard are higher.

Don't ask, but convince a romhacker!
"Hi, can someone translate game x? kthnxbai!"
Chances of getting a translation with a request like this, is close to zero! A much better approach is to try to convince a romhacker. Show what type of game it is, why this game is so great, and why it really needs a translation. Try to attract a romhacker, and hope he's willing to take a translation project. Requesting a game may not work at all, but please do so with a little diginity!

A translation project takes very long
If someone starts working on a translation, don't expect it to be finished next week. Try several months! It depends on the type of game of course.
Don't be ignorant, a translation project takes a lot of effort and time!

Even with all this, a request may never be heard. In that case, you may want to try learning how to romhack yourself. I did, and it paid off
yaynds.gif
. (It's not easy, so it only works if you're not an idiot)
So, if you understand all this, go and request away!

Here is a template for you to use when requesting a translation!
QUOTE said:
Game name
(Insert game name here)

Release date
(When was this game released. If it's not released yet, stop now!)

Game info
(Tell something about the game. What's it about? What genre? Is it popular in Japan? What makes you so sure this won't come out in the west?)

Screenshots
(Place screenshotshere! Additionally, you could add a movie and/or a link for more info)

Your offering
(Do you have something to offer? Think about knowledge of the game, or maybe you know Japanese. Perhaps you even want to donate money?
If you do not have anything to offer, just leave it blank)

Please do not make useless replies to this post by saying "Oh yes, I want this translation too" or "Yeah, I second this!"
One request is enough and you're not contributing!

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
airpirate545 said:
We needed this.

Yeah, I've been thinking that for some time, the requests have got a bit out of hand on this board. Well done HernanZh for putting it so well, I'm glad I refrained from posting my version which would have gone:

"Look you fucking noobs*, stop requesting things you have no idea the scale of, now download a bricker and fuck off!"

It really gets on my fucking tits when people start requesting shit usually on the day of release, like it's some guy's job to start hacking once each game is dumped.

LA!

I'm done.

*'noobs' are not to be confused with 'newbies', which we all were at one point.

da_rula

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A translation of Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou would be sooooooo nice. I just love GameCenter CX
grog.gif

The chance for an english release is like 0%. It's a game full of retro stuff, playing retro games, trying to achive different goals in retro games, reading
some retro magazines and so on.

And all in japanese. A fan translation would be very helpfull and nice
smile.gif

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I'm bumping this because we seem to have request for translation every day an interesting Japanese game comes out, and it's fucking rediculous, most forums would ban people for such idiocy, I don't necessarily think it should be that harsh here, but letting people request everything which takes up so much of this board is negatively affecting the board.

Please can we have this stickied, or at the very least, an explaination of why it can't/won't be.

I suggest suspensions for people requesting improperly and the deletion of all request threads that aren't well formed (as described in this thread), it might help stem the flow of idiotic requests that show no respect to the people that actually provide these translations for us.

LA!

da_rula said:
A translation of Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou would be sooooooo nice. I just love GameCenter CX
grog.gif

The chance for an english release is like 0%. It's a game full of retro stuff, playing retro games, trying to achive different goals in retro games, reading
some retro magazines and so on.

And all in japanese. A fan translation would be very helpfull and nice
smile.gif

This is coming out in English, woohoo!

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
If people actually understood the magnitude of work that entails game translating, it'd be a lot quieter around here. Or the requests would have more wordy responses. Seriously.

paolo90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
May I request Monster Farm DS2 for translation?

It should be relatively as (I believe) all text data in this game are stored in text, and not pure images, if you know what I mean. Monster Farm DS never got released in the US, so I think (sadly) we could assume that this will never get a true localized version in the US.

I think it's a game a new rom-hacker could actually work on for practice, as it has less lines to translate than RPGs. In addition, most text data here are most probably in text format (unlike JUS), and not in images.

What do you guys think?

bunnybreaker

Trophies
Website
devlkore.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Thank you JPH for stickying this.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, this thread is NOT for people to request translations, if you want to make a request, do so in your own thread, this is merely here to educate people on HOW to request translations.

paolo90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bunnybreaker said:
Thank you JPH for stickying this.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, this thread is NOT for people to request translations, if you want to make a request, do so in your own thread, this is merely here to educate people on HOW to request translations.

Sorry, I misunderstood the "So, if you understand all this, go and request away!"
tongue.gif

Yeah, it's been requested in another thread anyways.

mishydishy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I found a translation for the game "Tales of the Tempest". I want to make a translation for it. Currently, I have zero expierience, and I got a bunch of books about hexidecimals, table programming, etc. I was wondering if someon with translator expierience could act as a mentor for me, to help me out here and there. I would be doing most, if not all, of the work, I would just need someone to help out a complete newbie like me. And yes, I understand it's rediculous to try a translation for something like that with no expierience, but eveyr has to start somewhere.
Also, I would like to know if the disgaea translation was discontinued due to and official english release being announced.

Edit: Can someone delete this? I'm an idiot and accidental posted it here when I'm not supposed to

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mishydishy said:
Also, I would like to know if the disgaea translation was discontinued due to and official english release being announced.
Yes, it was never intended to be a full translation for exactly that reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: