Report: new VSH user mode exploit found?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by fgghjjkll, Sep 8, 2010.

Sep 8, 2010
  1. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    The forums down at Lan.St have gone abuzz yesterday after a possible buffer exploit has been found. Details are being carefully kept under wraps at the moment to protect the new discovery, but homebrew veteran wololo has confirmed that it's legit and is hopeful that it could lead to a new breakthrough.

wololo, whose name is often heard alongside the Half Byte Loader, noted that the new exploit is a "very nice VSH user mode exploit (or very close to it, since there is full control on ra)." He also expressed willingness to work on the new exploit, though he himself admits lack of experience in dealing with VSH vulnerabilities.

This user exploit also seems to need a kernel exploit, which is similar to how ChickHEN worked. There is plenty of speculation surrounding its possible uses, but everything's still up in the air for now.

We'll be keeping an eye out for updates as they come.

Source

2. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Very interesting. Half Byte Loader saved my PSP Go from neglect. I'm intrigued by this new project.

3. Arwen20

Member Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I would love to see this area developed. I love my little psp go! As soon as the half byte loader works for bookr I will update my psp go. Right now, I am still on 6.20.

4. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's nice to quote your news posts btw.

also, i'd just wish they would keep their mouth shut if they have found another lame possible exploit. its getting ridiculous now.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The guy who found the vulnerability (note: despite what the first post says, it is NOT an exploit, its a vulnerability; there is a difference) was not sure if it was vulnerable or if it was just a crash, and wanted a second opinion. Perhaps it was an error to post publicly, but these things come with experience. The vulnerability was available to download for a short time, but unless Sony happen to be monitoring Lan.ST 24/7 and reading every new post, it is very unlikely the files will fall into the "wrong" hands. It was removed quickly and I doubt any n00bs got a hold of it either.

6. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    The fact that a possible vulnerability was even found and talked about was stupid. Now it's possible that Sony and their engineers are trying to find said vulnerability. (Which is unlikely they will find the said one but could patch other ones..)

7. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    And you think sony and other companies only patch stuff once somebody says "hey i found an exploit"? No they do that all the time anyway.

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I never said it was a real exploit (note: possible exploit; theres a difference)

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    My "note:" was not aimed at you, but the OP and also others who make the mistake. I noticed that you worded your post correctly.