Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Exannor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I think we got the idea that VMs will be worse off there are some advantages to running a VM

Such as everything being isolated and being able to play around with an OS without having to put it on partitions on your hard drive. This can be good to learn the ropes and get you comfortable with the commands on the OS. After all, distros such as Solus and Alpine have different commands and package managers which to a new Linux user, can be fairly daunting. I usually use a VM of Alpine while developing to know what commands work with the base OS and what packages I need to install.

But the problem of course is actually not getting the experience to fully install it on a system with partitions already in place

The first Linux OS that I installed was Kali alongside my windows 7 or 10 installation around my first or second semester of college right out of high school after playing Russian roulette with which IT degree I wanted to go after. For me, nowadays something like that isn't tough, but back then, it was pretty hardcore.

Last edited by Exannor,
Reactions: Deleted User

jimzrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you like a rolling release distribution so that your system is always up to date, I would recommend Manjaro linux.
It is based on Arch linux that is more geared towards experienced linux users, but manjaro simplifies it a lot!
Just give it a try.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I personally use Debian, but I think Ubuntu is better for beginners.
However, I switched from Windows 7 and learning to use Debian wasn't too hard.

Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill