replacing the top case.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Licardo7, Aug 31, 2008.

Aug 31, 2008

replacing the top case. by Licardo7 at 6:24 AM (908 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Licardo7
    OP

Member Licardo7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    is there a way to remove and replace the top case of the DS light [​IMG]whith out removing the bottom part of the NDS?

Note: I do not mean the whole top part of the NDS light, I only mean the top case like this:

[​IMG] This part

[​IMG] Not this part

http://games.osiristeam.net/images/invisib...ottom_front.jpg or this part

[​IMG] This part

2. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I haven't done this yet so you might want to wait for another answer but I believe underneath those four square 'plugs' on the top screen are screws, just lift up the squares with a sharp knife or something and unscrew the lid. BE CAREFUL, AFAIK there's a ribbon going from the lid to the body, don't snap it.

Here we go. http://www.instructables.com/id/SMAKWUIFA0CVIFP/

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    If you want to replace only top outer shell, than it's possible by removing four screws and sliding it carefully out..
    However, not all replacement shells are compatible with each other....so you maybe won't be able to put on some other one..

And if you want to replace inner shell of top part of your NDS, you'll have to disassemble the whole NDS..

4. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, the hardest part of the shell to replace is definitely the top-inner panel. The top-outer panel is the easiest.

5. Licardo7
    OP

United States
    Can I do it with this case: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14103
    I broke my DS when I put this case on and I'm getting a new DS today and don't wanna break the new one but still replace the best part of the case so when I go back to school and show-off [​IMG]

6. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, my wild guess would be yes...I guess you can do it, but it may not be a perfect fit!! Maybe you'll have to force it a bit...I had to do that with mine..

Just be careful with the new NDS..maybe it's not worth it, especially if you're not 100% sure what are you doing..

7. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That is the brand of cases that I use. They are the best fit you are going to find, but the corners of the top piece stick out a little more than the OEM panel. That piece should fit onto the DS without using any extra force. If it is difficult to put on, you are most likely doing it wrong! [​IMG]

Oh, one last thing. The screw holes on the piece you want to use will most likely be too small to use. Just use something that is larger than the screw hole (but smaller than the screw) to widen them up a little. I have purchased three of these cases and they all seem to have small screw holes.

8. Licardo7
    OP

United States
    I did it yesterday and It worked like a charm. nothing broken, lose, or open.

9. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Great!! Have you posted pictures up?! I'd like to see it.