Replacing Phoenix Wright Speech Balloons

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Munchulax, Aug 3, 2012.

Aug 3, 2012
  1. Munchulax
    OP

Newcomer Munchulax Newbie

United States
    Does anyone know where the speech balloons (Objection, Hold It, Take That) are stored in the ROM? I have no idea if those graphics are compressed or uncompressed and really don't know where to start because the images are stored in a different format than normal. If anyone has any information, please help.

2. omarrrio

Member omarrrio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Morocco
    there are 3 P.R editions :p1ng: , which one ?

3. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    From what i remember of the first games, all graphics in all Ace Attorney games are in archives with sub archives where each file is compressed.
    You need to split the archive in the sub archive, split the sub archive into file and decompress them...then you will be about to see the graphics.
    The only exception is Ace Attorney investigation 1 where there are many graphics in the overlay files.
    More precise information if you say which game you are working on but be warned that all Ace game are difficult projects so not ideal for newcomers and almost impossible to work on them with personalized tools (= you have to be able to program your tools).

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Pretty much what Auryn said but http://gbatemp.net/topic/295053-resize-sprites/ has a tiny bit on it.

5. hackotedelaplaqu

Member hackotedelaplaqu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    The bubble you're looking for are in sub files from romfile.bin.
    Tinke can extract it.
    They start from romfile_3753.
    romfile_3760.bin is the palette.
    OAMS datas are located in arm9.bin or you can use CT2 Tile recomposer tool.

6. Munchulax
    OP

United States
    How hard would it be to replace the English speech balloons with the Japanese balloons?

7. Auryn

Switzerland
    I don't really know why somebody would do that but, again: In what game of the serie??
    The problem is not much the change of graphics but the search, extraction and reinsertion.

8. Munchulax
    OP

United States
    I was actually planning on doing this to all of the first three games...

9. Auryn

Switzerland
    You will need to program an extractor/decompressor (maybe even 1 for each game), parse thousands of files to find the right files, change the graphics (the easy part) and then program an inserter/compressor (again maybe one for each game) and you are done.
    I don't believe there is a program to split those files correctly. Without programming skills?? Impossible.