Hardware Replacing my old PSP battery

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PSP model 2001 that's about seven years old, and after years of use and recharging, I think it's about time for a new battery. However, when I go on Amazon to look for replacements, I find lots of batteries that are either weaker than my stock battery or have lots of 1 and 2 star reviews. My question is, what is a good replacement battery for my PSP? I remember back in the day Sony offered an upgrade kit with a more powerful battery and a new battery cover for the Slim, is that still something I can get in some form? If not, a stock power battery is just something I'll have to live with.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is none. Other than salvaging official PSP battery from another PSP you are looking at cheap knock-off battery. Sony discontinued the production of PSP battery.

My recommendation is to use external battery / USB charger.
http://www.amazon.com/13000mAh-External-Portable-Compatibility-Charging/dp/B00BQ5KHJW

Plus this cable,
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation3-PSP-PlayStation2-Charging-Cable/dp/B004O8VA9E

With these, you essentially have an external battery connected to the DC port on your PSP. Yes PSP can be powered by DC port only.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So...I completely lose all portability? That's...not at all what I want. I want a portable emulation device, not something I can only use at home.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So...I completely lose all portability? That's...not at all what I want. I want a portable emulation device, not something I can only use at home.
My recommendation has portability. The external battery is no larger than an iPod which can be put inside of your pocket. You hold the PSP and a wire hooks PSP to the external battery inside of your pocket.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'd rather just keep using my old stock battery than have to carry a separate battery around with me.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PSP model 2001 that's about seven years old, and after years of use and recharging, I think it's about time for a new battery. However, when I go on Amazon to look for replacements, I find lots of batteries that are either weaker than my stock battery or have lots of 1 and 2 star reviews. My question is, what is a good replacement battery for my PSP? I remember back in the day Sony offered an upgrade kit with a more powerful battery and a new battery cover for the Slim, is that still something I can get in some form? If not, a stock power battery is just something I'll have to live with.
The official Sony extended battery is good... but I certainly would not spend the ridiculous markup many sellers that have one available are charging for it.

I lucked out by finding it available second-hand at a Bookman's near me for $8. True, its provided battery door doesn't match the color of my PSP, but it does the job.

Third Party batteries, annoyingly, are hit & miss. Sometimes it can work great, and other times they might not work at all. And the worst thing is that it can vary even from one PSP to another. An extended third party I had that worked fantastically on my old 2000 is just flat out refused to work on my current 3000.

I too, agree with the sentiment that an external battery is simply not portable. If I have to have something plugged into the system to have it work at all, it doesn't really count as portable.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I too, agree with the sentiment that an external battery is simply not portable. If I have to have something plugged into the system to have it work at all, it doesn't really count as portable.
Consider this an advantage that Sony has against Nintendo.

On 3DS and Wii U gamepad, they will not power on with AC adapter / external battery when internal battery inside of them is gone / dead.

Meaning if you cannot find replacement battery for them, they are as good as dead.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consider this an advantage that Sony has against Nintendo.

On 3DS and Wii U gamepad, they will not power on with AC adapter / external battery when internal battery inside of them is gone / dead.

Meaning if you cannot find replacement battery for them, they are as good as dead.
That is indeed a fair point.

However, if there is a way to get a proper battery back in its place and have it work as it was originally made, then that's what I'd personally rather do. Or if it's even possible to fit a higher capacity battery, all the better.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
However, if there is a way to get a proper battery back in its place and have it work as it was originally made, then that's what I'd personally rather do. Or if it's even possible to fit a higher capacity battery, all the better.
First one is impossible. Batteries have finite lifespan. They simply don't last a lifetime.

Second one depends on energy density and any scientific breakthrough on battery chemistry. Development breakthrough on battery has been really slow to none. In fact the reason why hybrid and electric car costs so much more than gasoline counterpart is because of technical limitation of battery.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant in terms of getting a compatible battery for the device in question. Obviously not the same one; and if it's possible to get something more efficient or higher capacity, then heck yea.

I just am a firm believer in abstaining from those external batteries that seemed to get popular because so many phone designers want to make smartphones with nonremovable batteries, and the PSVita.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS Vita has removable battery. Unscrew the 4 screws on the corner of rear touch pad. Remove the touch pad and you'll see the battery.

As for smartphone, I suspect they picked non-removable design because they assume people will replace their smartphone every couple of years.

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the issues I have with some of the unopened Official PSP batteries is that it comes out bloated. Since it's been inside the package for years, it's a risk. Bought an extended official one for 10 bucks and was bloated. I did make use of the extra battery cover though since I used my phat PSP battery for it on my slim since I have two PSP's. I still never bought a 3rd party battery.

Don't know what to make of this on ebay. It's in Hong Kong and appears to be an Official Sony battery for the PSP 2000 and 3000 without the package for around 10 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for...7fa2981&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=3&sd=271637839436

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30