Hardware Replacing hard drive on a phat XBox 360 enclosure

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My hard drive died and I was wondering if I could just replace the hard drive inside the enclosure or does it need some weird formatting? If so is there a tool for it?
You can, but it has to be certain drives. Western Digital ones I know somewhat specifically, and yes there is a program that builds them though I can’t temember the name off hand. If it’s a hacked 360 it’ll take any 2.5” laptop drive

Reactions: pustal

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
You can, but it has to be certain drives. Western Digital ones I know somewhat specifically, and yes there is a program that builds them though I can’t temember the name off hand. If it’s a hacked 360 it’ll take any 2.5” laptop drive

It has the optical drive flashed but other than that no other mod.

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by brickmii82,
Reactions: pustal

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are not going to go JTAG or RGH to use any drive then I should note if you are going to find a copy of the backwards compatibility partition (if your drive has died then you are presumably not going to be able to pull it from that a la the guide linked) that you should make sure you are getting the original version and not a hacked one aimed at the JTAG/RGH family (the hacked one unlocked a few more games, regions, allowed for hacked games, some homebrew and whatever else).

Oh and good luck finding a drive. I did a quick search for some of the model numbers just now and they are mainly ebay listings at this pointand I am always hesitant to do that for spinning rust drives, and that is before we mention the several listings mentioning things like bad sector.

I should also note that later on life the 360 gained the ability to use USB drives for saves, profiles and whatever else. Such a thing might represent an easier way to get you up and running again.

tonybod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pleased to have found this thread (I've just modded my console (PHAT Falcon board (RGH))).

Is there an easy way of copying everything from the old drive to the new one? I'm hoping it's as easy as doing a disk copy (using the EASEUS software) and then resizing the main partition. The drive in the XBOX at the moment is a 250gb WD drive.

Last edited by tonybod,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If it's a RGH then simply backup all the folders via FTP and install a new drive.
Bootup a XeXmenu disc and FTP everything back.

Alternatively, you can hook up the old one via a SATA - USB adapter and do it like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo