Replacing audio in games

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mishydishy, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008

Replacing audio in games by mishydishy at 12:10 AM (1,056 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. mishydishy
    OP

Newcomer mishydishy Member

United States
    As you all know, the Osu! and Elite Beat Agents games contain licensed soundtracks, but all the songs are down by extremely inferior (to the original) cover artists. I'm curious as to how one can replace the songs with the originals (I already have copies of all the songs). Considering the songs use the same beats and tempo, I don't think it will change the gameplay.
    Depending on how hard/easy it is to do such a thing, I may do it and I may not.

2. HokageNaruto

Member HokageNaruto GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that sounds like a very good idea [​IMG] I would also be happy if someone could find out a way to do this!

3. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    The difficult part of this is that OTO/EBA stores songs as fragments, and pieces them together to avoid redundancy. Therefore, something like the chorus would only be stored once, and it would know to play that fragment at 0:37, 1:41, etc. AFAIK no one has figured out how it actually does this or where to change it.

4. kesadisan

Member kesadisan GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    actually all the song on Ouendan and EBA was all cover song, it was cutted, and 100% will off the beat when you replace it with full song

5. mishydishy
    OP

United States
    @kesadisn:
    I am aware that they were all cover songs, as I stated in my original post. Also, I don't think they are cut, as when I am listening, my (musically untrained) ears cannot discern any difference that will cause it to be 100% off-beat.
    @chuckstudios:
    Is it possible to just cut the original in the same manner and replace the fragments with other fragments?

6. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is a very good idea. Hope this works out. [​IMG]

7. kesadisan

Member kesadisan GBAtemp Regular

Indonesia
    @mishydishy:
    try to hear Pop Star song on Ouendan 2 and hear it on full song
    you'll see the differences
    need more?
    Hear Shonen Heart too
    or COUNTDOWN

i'm sure you'll understand [​IMG]

8. mishydishy
    OP

United States
    No offense, but I don't see any differences enough in the beats to change the gameplay of ouendan.