replacing an Original DS hinge + case?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Splych, Jan 9, 2011.

Jan 9, 2011
  1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    any guides , or places i could buy the replacement case ?
    also , recommended places to buy DS Lite replacement case?

2. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I know Deal Extreme has replacement cases for both models of DS. For the Phat though, most cases will be a tight fit, if not all. There are no really good third party cases for the Phat.

For replacing the hinge of a Phat, I don't even know where you would get it.

3. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    damn :\
    my friend told me that her DS is the original one . so i am assuming it is the phat . then she tells me it is hanging , which then i guessed the hinge is broken as well . which means a hinge + replacement case .

i've seen a lot of kits on eBay, but there's a particular seller on eBay which has really nice replacement cases for the DS Lite . though they're expensive , they seem well worth it [$16.99 USD = Replacement Case + Hinge + Free Shipping]

4. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    I finally gave in and paid for an official Nintendo fix for my DS Phat. I managed to talk them down to $50 plus free shipping at least. I just couldn't find screens, which is what I needed most. You have to do A LOT of damage to bust a Phat hinge though.

You may want to check with her to see if she has a lite and just thinks it's the Original. Honestly, not a whole lot of people were overly aware of the DS until the lite came out.

5. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    she did tell me that she'll be bringing it on Monday . i just want to have a general idea of possible solutions , and be prepared ahead of time rather than giving her false information or better yet , anything inaccurate . $50 for an official Nintendo Fix ? damn that's pricey ... i'd rather ask someone else to do it for me whereas they just charge you $30 for it [and that's including the replacement case] .

depending on who it is , some even include nice quality cases which makes it an even better deal for the buyer .

6. Nathan Drake

Antarctica
    My DS was past the point of fixing by anybody in my area, and the replacement parts plus service fees anywhere would have outweighed the $50 I paid. Parts for the Phat are also insanely hard to find from my experience, as nobody sells them....anywhere. You basically have to salvage usable parts from old, broken Phats.

Also, I got it knocked down from $75 and having to pay for my own shipping, so I figure I got an okay deal overall. The two screens were the core problem with mine, with possibly more than just the actual screen being messed up with the touchscreen. That, and my battery was basically shot. No more than two hours in DS mode with no sound on what so ever.

If it's a lite, you can find all the possible parts to fix it yourself for relatively cheap.

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I wish there was somewhere you could find DS Phat housing replacements that were clear plastic. Cause then id totally get one that could be flashed and adjust the brightness settings and that would be one kick ass DS.