Hacking Repairing a custom downgraded Wii?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

My friend's Wii previously had the new 3.3 revision, and he wanted to make it region free. So I followed the downgrading guide, and after a ton of renaming files and waiting, I downgraded him to 3.2. I then put on StarFall and made it region free.

Now he tells me that there's a video problem with his Wii and that he wants to send it to Nintendo to get it repaired or get a replacement. But he's really afraid of getting caught and I wasn't sure what advice to offer.

Would downloading 3.4 fix what Starfall had put on? When I left, I removed Twilight Hack and the Homebrew Channel (albeit, I used the channel manager as the WAD manager can't remove HBC... and I'm hoping there aren't traces still), so there's virtually no sign by looking. One would have to actually test it out to see what I had done.

Would installing 3.4 get rid of the custom IOS and all the stuff Starfall set? Or should I take my SD card back over and manually reinstall HBC, unpatch stuff in Starfall and then upgrade?

moosh01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off what kind of video problems is he having, is it when playing originals, playing backups?
Second what is he afraid of getting caught for, homebrew is legal.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure... he said something about random weird colors appearing. It's been there since before I installed Homebrew Channel... I guess he just failed to tell me that at the time
smile.gif
Obviously it would have been for original games... he doesn't have a modchip or anything. And I think he said EVERYTHING had it, even Virtual Console titles.

And I think he just doesn't want them to not give him a new Wii... I know he said they would let him re-download his purchased VC games (he had already talked to them about sending it in)... and I'm sure they'd retract that if he had hacks on it.

As far as custom IOS goes... I'm not even sure it has that. I had to install the cIOS WAD in order to downgrade the Wii, but I used Waninoko's installer to put the official 3.2U on. Would that replace cIOS with the official IOS of 3.2?

If so, upgrading to 3.4 should be all that's needed, right?

Homebrew Channel doesn't leave tickets behind if you remove it using the channel manager, does it?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't think there could be any relation between having a cIOS and the video problems he's having, but that is just my opinion...!!
smile.gif

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is none. It had those problems before I put the cIOS stuff on.

But Nintendo wouldn't care that he had a hacked 3.2 system menu?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O_iBnwwuOGU&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=8&pp=8AUB