Hardware Repaired Disc Drive - Should Be A Newer Model, Right?

SpongeFreak52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I had sent in my Wii for a new disc drive. Originally the Wii was purchased back in 2006, so it had one of the original drives in it. My question is would Nintendo have put in a newer model disc drive, or would they have had to use an unused older model drive? I'd check myself but I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver yet.

Basically I'm asking this because I need to find out which type of clip I'm going to get with my new WiiKey 2 (yes, laugh at the guy who doesn't have a soldering gun)

If anyone has an answer to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance!

SpongeFreak52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(edit button ain't working on iPhone)

I now believe that I have a newer drive based on the Repair Form, but I'm still not entirely sure. If anyone got any tips, it'd be great.
smile.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got 2 repaired wii's last week and both were d2b drives...
guess nintendo still has some old stock, but this is europe i'm talking about.

SpongeFreak52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gah. That just makes this situation harder I guess.

The serial number DIDN'T change though, so does that mean they used the old drive? Because the serial would identify the drive in it, right? :\

Is there even a difference in the chip to clip soldering from the type of drive?!

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SpongeFreak52 said:
Gah. That just makes this situation harder I guess.

The serial number DIDN'T change though, so does that mean they used the old drive? Because the serial would identify the drive in it, right? :\

Is there even a difference in the chip to clip soldering from the type of drive?!
What you are saying does make sense. The bar code identifies the kind of drive inside the Wii. Nintendo would not change the drive model without changing the serial number. That would cause confusion. Anyways, the bar codes looks like it can not be removed. I would not worry.

On to your other question, most mod chips have the same soldering points for DMS, D2A, and D2B. D2C and D2C2 have about 3 more solder points involved w/ about one on the IC legs. (I'm not sure about D2E.) If you have a Wii Clip w/ a chip that supports all the current drives, you should be okay. Since you said that the serial number did not change, I assume that you have gotten your Wii back. Opening it up to check won't hurt.

acesniper

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SpongeFreak52 said:
Thanks for the info mate. =)

And I can't open the Wii at the moment, as I'm getting a tri-wing screwdriver bundled with the chip/clip... xD
When you do, can you please tell us what drive it is or if it is switched? Thanks

SpongeFreak52

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap almighty. It's a D1A drive, but without any epoxy of some sort. Unfortunately I got the 5-wire solder installation, so it's probably not gonna work.

A red LED on the WiiKey 2 is not good I assume, right? Haven't tried loading any discs yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on