Hacking Repair old JTAG'd 360, or hack newer one?

secondsabre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have an old Falcon JTAG (original flavour) that I loved dearly and we had many good times together... until it died a horrible and shitty death a while ago, via RROD. It had to happen sometime, I suppose, even with my fan speed at 80% all the time.

Before I got my hands on the pre-modded JTAG, I had a Jasper model. Its firmware was past the point of JTAG'ing, but it had a flashed DVD drive and worked great... until it got console banned. The banning led me to track down a JTAG ('cause I really wanted XBL games), but I still have it and it's in working condition (besides super old drive firmware).

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get my JTAG reflowed (which as we all know, isn't permanent), or if I should just look into getting the Jasper modded with one of the new JTAG/RGH methods. Either would probably require shipping my console somewhere, since I can't seem to find a service provider in my area (southern BC, Canada), but I just want the one that will prevent more headaches in the future.

I really enjoyed being able to use FreeStyle Dash (as a replacement) and load all my games from my USB drive, and ideally it would be great if I could re-use my old profile/savegames/etc. I don't care about online or Live at all, just want to be able to play offline. Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
RGH the older one. But to be fair, none of them is worth doing that much to. Jaspers have a higher life, but it's still not forever.

Also forget about FreeStyle Dash, it's Aurora that is kind of the new king.

Reactions: retrofan_k

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally, I wouldn't repair it. I have 2 falcon jtags, neither has failed (knock on wood), but that console model is from around 2008, so it's pretty old. I'd suggest an rgh really. u can migrate ur profile and saves to a new console btw. I can't remember if u need le fluffie app to do so, but it can be done. I did it ages ago so my memory is a little hazy.

secondsabre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've heard mention of this Aurora floating around, but I've been out of the scene pretty much since the console died. The method doesn't really matter, provided there's a "dashboard" that can load games from USB . I think I've migrated a profile once before, maybe from the Jasper to the Falcon, so bringing it back much richer in experience would almost be poetic in a way, haha. I guess my main concern was whether having a banned console would prevent me from hacking it in some way, or negatively affect it's performance.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard mention of this Aurora floating around, but I've been out of the scene pretty much since the console died. The method doesn't really matter, provided there's a "dashboard" that can load games from USB . I think I've migrated a profile once before, maybe from the Jasper to the Falcon, so bringing it back much richer in experience would almost be poetic in a way, haha. I guess my main concern was whether having a banned console would prevent me from hacking it in some way, or negatively affect it's performance.

personally, I'm not a fan of Aurora. I like FSD 2, because it boots faster with my system. I did have close to 1,000 games 'til one of my hdds malfunctioned (still trying to fix the thing). don't worry about the profile, 'cause I know u can do it. if it's not le fluffie app, it's modio. both apps can work with profiles. I believe it's the device id as part of the profile that u need to look at. then, again u might not need to do anything. it's just be so long for me. I wouldn't want a banned console either, but when u have a jtag/rgh, ur pretty much banned since u cant use live without xblse which may or may not cost a lot of money. I heard that it was free now, but I've never bothered to look into it. it would cost like $20/day. what u'd do is connect to their servers, then they would send a fresh kv to microsoft's servers. there may have been a delay through doing this. xblse would have a plugin that u could use through dash launch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch