Removing Top Shell of 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by elunesgrace, Sep 4, 2014.

1. elunesgrace
    OP

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    Hey guys,

So I've been trying to remove the top shell of the 3ds (and maybe attach another color).

However, the 4 rubber nubs that are hiding the screws for the top screen won't come off! I don't want to destroy them, what can I use to get them out? I have a very small minus screw driver but even that isn't enough!

Thoughts?

2. zeello

zeello The reason we can't have nice things.

Apr 15, 2013
    United States
    You could try a box cutter, but it is actually easier to damage them this way. A blunt instrument like a screwdriver is much less likely to ruin them. And getting them out is hard even with a box cutter since the blade gets stuck on the casing. I think if I try to pry them off with a box cutter, the blade breaks, probably because it's jammed in the casing, or because the screwhead underneath gets in the way.

So try different things I guess.

The problem is that there is adhesive under the nubs, so it is sort of glued on. They need to be pried off or pushed off.

You probably don't have to worry too much about damaging the nubs. The worst thing you can do is accidentally cut them. It doesn't matter if you bend them since they become flat again on their own once you take them out, or when re-inserted.

3. elunesgrace
    OP

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    Tried that too. Thing is I can't find anything to even get behind the nub =/.

There's got to be an easier way to do this.