Removing a badly stripped screw

Hazero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So my fan in my switch has totally given up on life. Don't know how long it's been like it but the last few play times I gave received a message saying the switch is overheating and is going into sleep mode.

So I needed to try and open the switch up, but I totally buggered the left middle rail screw up, picture attached shows just how badly it is.

Is there any advice on what to do? I've tried the rubber band trick. I don't see the superglue one working as it's so small.

(Took the pic with a magnify to help show it)

Attachments

• 20211128_123019.jpg
    20211128_123019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Rubber band and super glue are the usual picks (although I see you've already tried the rubber band trick). Drilling a slit in the screw with a dremel and then using a flat head screwdriver to screw it out is also something that's often suggested for this kind of thing. The back cover is attached with only a small tab (at least on the v1 devices, not sure if this has been changed since), you could cut it with a thin knife (e.g. a box cutter or an exacto knife). Otherwise, you can try to drill it out with a small drill -- I restored to this a couple years back when I had the same problem. You could check online if there is a hackerspace near you, they might have tools you can use, or maybe people you can ask for help or advice

Reactions: jornthree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...