Homebrew [Release] Zelda ROTH for 3ds

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
titre.png

This time I release a port to 3ds of a great Zelda fan game, Zelda Return of the Hylian.

All you need to know about this game is in the official site of the game: http://www.zeldaroth.fr

Compiled game (3dsx and CIA versions): http://github.com/nop90/ZeldaROTH/releases
Source: http://github.com/nop90/ZeldaROTH/

Credits:
The original game is made by Vincent Jouillat (http://www.zeldaroth.fr)
This game uses the sf2d sftd and sfil libraries created by @xerpi

Changelog

Ver. 1.0.2 (11 June 2016)

- Corrected SFX frequency
- Some small bug fixed

Ver. 1.0.1 (4 June 2016)

- Solved a memory leak
- Fixed accented letters output and other text problems
- Improved Italian traslation
- Trimmed Forest Temple music

Ver. 1.0 (4 June 2016)
- completed the Italian translation
- optimized the use of bottom the screen
- object selection with touchscreen
- changed key mapping
- fixed the remaining bugs
- cleaned the code

Ver. 0.4 alpha (31 May 2016)

- fixed destructors of classes derived from "Listable" class to avoid memory leak
- added language selection in game options
- activated sound options and changed sound volume levels for Music and SFX to only two values (on / off)
- trimmed background music of Kocorico village

Ver. 0.3 alpha (22 May 2016)
- added background music (build size increased to about 55MB)
- fixed exiting to launcher with SELECT button
- fixed tiles rendering in wide screen mode
- fixed crashes caused by memory leak

Ver. 0.2 alpha - Bugged test build (12 May 2016)
- Game framerate fixed
- Multilanguage implemented (EN, FR, IT, DE. ES). The language is selected according to the system language. Not supported languages switch by default to English
- Italian translation strated (Only meu translated at the moment)
- English translation updated (thanks to @Ammako for the fixed text)
- All game keys mapped using keys combinations (mostly L+ ..)
- Strerch to fullscreeen feature added
- Menus and info screens moved to bottom screen

Ver. 0.1 alpha (07 May 2016)
- First alpha release

Installation

In the zip there is a folder with the 3dsx and the smdh files inside, to be used with a homebrew launcher. All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

There is also a zip with the CIA version.

The game creates a ZeldaROTH subfolder inside the 3ds folder if doesn't exist. Here will be saved your game progresses.

WARNING: in v1.0 there is a new key mapping respect the one in the alpha releases.

Commands

- Read / Open / Speak: A
- Confirm / Pass text: A
- Move Link: Arrows
- Run : R hold
- Use sword: B
- Spin attack: B hold then dropped
- Item selection: L + START
- Use selected object: Y
- Pick up items (with the glove): X
- Open the map: START (outside of dungeons)
- Open the map: START (in dungeons)
- View defeated monsters: L and B
- Look around: L and direction
- Enlarge / Shrink screen size: L and A
- Show help: L and Y
- Save / Quit: SELECT
- Close the game: SELECT from the title screen

Known Bugs

- none

To Do List

- nothing

Screenshots
ROTH1.png
ROTH2.png

ROTH3.png
ROTH4.png

Last edited by nop90,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you either provide source or create a .cia build of this? I'm just not terribly interested in installing HBL just to test things out.

For the CIA build you have to wait tomorrow. The banner wave file have some problems, I have to fix it but now it's very late in Italy. I need to sleep :wacko:.

D

Deleted User

Runs really well; I haven't played the PC version but I've played a bit of the Wii port and it was janky. I just finished the first dungeon and didn't really notice much other than when I picked up a skull pot in the dungeon and threw it, the game showed some slowdown.

Also, the first boss was crazy easy. Not sure if that's the game or because of the port.

I'll be looking forward to the next update~

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
wow, this looks great, and i'm sure it is because of the graphics are either ripped form the real zelda games or just very very recreated.
when stuff like this uses custom graphics, it never feels the same to me :)

D

Deleted-236924

Does this still use the original crappy English translation, or was it redone?
(Or was their translation improved since the last time I checked them out?)

Could you estimate how much work it would take to port the other three games, now that you've been able to port the first one? I believe they all use the same engine.

Reactions: cearp

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Is this the third one? I don't remember if I finished this one or not. I know I completed the first two in the trilogy. Or maybe I did complete all three. I remember getting stuck on his fourth game, very frustrating. Had to keep going back to YouTube to progress.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
... when I picked up a skull pot in the dungeon and threw it, the game showed some slowdown.

Also, the first boss was crazy easy. Not sure if that's the game or because of the port.

The slowdown could be the MIDI module generating a large output. I have to work on it. The game is absolutely unchanged, I don't expect any differences in the gameplay, there should be only bugs related to glitched, missing sprites or system crashes.
Works on old 3ds too?
Works great on O3DS, the only 3DS I own.

Does this still use the original crappy English translation, or was it redone?
(Or was their translation improved since the last time I checked them out?)

Could you estimate how much work it would take to port the other three games, now that you've been able to port the first one? I believe they all use the same engine.

I downloaded the code from the authoe site and the code is unchange but for a fake SDL layer and the key remapping. But if you think the English textes can be inproved, the ke the sources and send me a new version. If you want I can tell you where the text is located (in only two files).

Two have this alpha port I worked a couiple of hours every night this week. After fizing everythin a full port of every other game will take about 4 hours of work.

Is this the third one? I don't remember if I finished this one or not. I know I completed the first two in the trilogy. Or maybe I did complete all three. I remember getting stuck on his fourth game, very frustrating. Had to keep going back to YouTube to progress.

This is the first one, Chech the site listed in the credits of the OP.

Last edited by nop90,
Reactions: cearp

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
This is the fiest one, Chech the site listed in the credits of the OP.

Yeah, I was thinking about it a while ago, and I remember there was a trilogy, Return of the Hylian, Oni Link, and Triumph. Navi's Quest was the really bizarre one, with some mind-bending puzzles. And it wasn't clear at all where you needed to go, basically you would have to wander around for an hour and hope you found what you were looking for.

D

Deleted-236924

@nop90
I can definitely re-do the translation. I've actually already done that a few years ago, but they didn't care about it back on zeldaroth. I got rid of the files by now (I couldn't compile it myself, so it was pointless.)
I'll shoot you a PM when I'm done.

PS: Don't forget to change the button assignments in the Help menu so that it refers to the 3DS's buttons (..\src\src\Generique.cpp)
I don't know if you've done that in your current port, but I won't be doing it myself, so don't forget. :P

Last edited by ,
Reactions: osaka35

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you. I would like to make a multilanguage release adding italian too. Having a better english text would be great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night