PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Released in 2009, the Vampire Knight DS game offers a glimpse into the hidden world of Cross Academy as it’s never been seen before.

Step into the shoes of series protagonist Yuki Cross, and patrol the academy’s grounds as you keep an eye out for any who would threaten the peace. If you manage to protect the Night Class’s secret, they might just teach you a few secrets of their own. But remember- your neck is on the line.

With fully-voiced main characters, a gallery of lush CGs, and 21 endings to unlock, what adventures await you under the gentle twilight sky…?

Download:
Patch download
Blog Release Post

6369screenshot1.png
6369screenshot2.png

Usage:
Before you can play the translation, you'll need to patch the game on your computer using a legal copy of the ROM. There are two methods by which this can be done, online, via the ROMhacking.net downloads page, and locally by downloading an additional piece of software.

ONLINE METHOD
-On the ROMhacking.net release page, navigate to “Patch Online NOW!” under the ‘Links’ header.
-Upload your ROM using the ‘Choose File’ button where prompted.
-Select the patch that you wish to apply using the dropdown menu. (See ‘Rom Dump Compatibility’ for further explanation)
-Click ‘Apply Patch’, and wait for the download to complete. You should now have a patched copy of the ROM, labelled -input source- (patched).

SOFTWARE METHOD
-Download DeltaPatcher from https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/
-Extract the file, and run either DeltaPatcher or DeltaPatcherLite
-'Original file' should be your copy of the ROM, as an '.nds' filetype.
-For 'XDelta patch', choose the 'VampirePatch.xdelta' file.
-Hit apply patch, and you're good to go!

*Note that this will overwrite your original file. If you’d like to keep a copy of it instead, change the settings by clicking the cog icon, and tick “Backup original file”. This will create a new ‘--PATCHED.nds’ file instead.

Play this file on an emulator such as DeSmuME, or use a flashcart to play it on any member of the NDS family.

***NOTE: ROM DUMP COMPATIBILITY***

This patch is designed to work with a 100% correctly dumped ROM (CRC: ED8A5F4A).

If your ROM is a bad dump (CRC: 1CB4B97C), you can apply the "bad_to_good.xdelta" patch BEFORE applying the translation patch by following the guide above.

See our beginner's guide to NDS patching for more info if you need help.

Tool:
If you’re interested in knowing more about the hacking specifics or translating the game into another language, the source code & compiled program covering both text and image extraction/repacking can be found on Github.

Want to get in touch?
Join our discord server to send us your questions, check out our other projects or even lend a hand in our mission to bring more anime games to the English-speaking fandom!

Credits:
Hacking

Illidan

Translation
Phantom
Haribeau
clover

Proofreading
Reira

Special Thanks
z3tzilla, Dariya

Last edited by PhantomGhost,

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A team effort, for sure! The lineup changed slightly after it moved from the original gbatemp project to the Anime Game Translations Team, but I can say for sure that we wouldn't be here today if not for the help of everyone involved.

From the project that @Zorbnog (Dariya) started, and @z3tzilla provided detailed notes and a dump from, @Illidanz was able to do amazing work with the hacking and add support for way more text that should have been acceptable, and that was a text heavy game in itself! If it wasn't for the dedication of my co-translators Haribeau and clover, and the ever-patient Reira who playtested the game not one, but twice to eradicate all our typos, I don't think I would have even considered picking up the translation that I'd left gathering dust for two years.

We hope you enjoy the fruits of our labour, and keep an eye out for any dangerous vampires on the prowl!

SDA

".bmob mota ruoy htiw flesruoy kcuf og yeH"
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well finally here it is... Vampire Knight in English.
I will never forget what this team has done to me - calling me rude while proofreading a translation.

Reactions: Zorbnog

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
From its title, I thought it was a horror VN, but instead I'm told that it is an "otome" game, therefore aimed at female audience. Mmmm....this is not a problem at all, but I fear that it is a game certainly romantic, but perhaps boring and not at all compelling (like the Tokimeki series, after all). :unsure:
Since I've now copied it to microSD, I think I'll give it a chance anyway, hoping not to be disappointed. :)

IMG_20211207_143159.jpg

Reactions: SDA

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Nikokaro Thank you for giving it a go! It is a 'romantic' game in which the end goal is to deepen your relationship with one of the male characters, so we understand that it may not be to everyone's taste. The visual novel segments are interspersed with a selection of mini-games, which I've heard is both a loved and hated feature of the Tokimeki series, though, not having played any of that series myself, I can't really make any comparison to the storytelling.

• Angry
Reactions: SDA and Nikokaro

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

My run of the translation (og hardware, 3DS). Finished with Kaname Kuran's affinity and I'd say crappy/weird ending.

To be hones, I haven't enjoyed it much. Too much text, very boring story and barely functional mandatory mini-games. I suppose it is a decent addition to the Vampire Knight fans, but I wouldn't recommend the game to any other gamer. Of course it is my opinion and it hasn't anything to do with the translation, which is amazing, like all the translations from AGT.

OG devs should have hardcoded the main character's name. It has no dubbing and it's weird when somebody tries to say her name ^_^ (text is like "Yuki.." and dubbing "Mpphhh..").

SDA

".bmob mota ruoy htiw flesruoy kcuf og yeH"
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course it is my opinion and it hasn't anything to do with the translation, which is amazing, like all the translations from AGT.
Yeah, the translations that the AGT Team releases are amazing. Can't tell the same for the team itself though.

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@stranno Thank you for the review! Yeah, I think it's fair to say it's a game that caters to a specific audience, (namely otome fans.)

Re: the main character's name, in the original, players could add a custom name which the characters would use in the text, hence why there's no dubbing for it. (Although, there was one instance in the original script where Kaname mistakenly had a hardcoded 'Yuki' :rofl:)

The limit for the name is 3x3, so in English, that'd mean the default name being 'Yuk Cro', which doesn't sound great. We did try extending it, but there were added complications including wordwrap and the namebox centering, so in the end, we made the decision to hardcode it.

We did also try to hide the name entry screen that shows at the start of a new game, which had been broken by the custom VWF anyway, but it turned out there's actually a lot of behind -the-scenes processing which goes on there, so Illidan fixed it up, and it now just serves as a name entry for save files.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Re: the main character's name, in the original, players could add a custom name which the characters would use in the text, hence why there's no dubbing for it. (Although, there was one instance in the original script where Kaname mistakenly had a hardcoded 'Yuki' :rofl:)
Yeah, hardcoded name + dubbing would have been better, imo.

I think it is a weird choice that you can rename the main character in an anime game. It is a game about Yuki relations, to begin with :rofl:

I also find weird that Yuki and secondary characters (random students) do not have dubbing either. There are not that many, I'd say there are less than 15 characters in the entire game.

PhantomGhost

OP
Trophies
Website
agtteam.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think they were going for a self-insert protagonist, so it's not Yuki, but 'you', hence why she's also eyeless in the CGs, but yeah, it is a bit odd that they would then use her full face at times, and indeed, if you play the mini-games from the mini-game menu (as in, outside a save file), Yuki's name is hardcoded there.

For a game mainly targeted at female players, it does seem a shame there isn't a single female character with a 'voice', but I guess, priorities :rolleyes: After the thousands of lines, voice clips and images, there wasn't much free space left in the original game, and we had to compress a lot of the translation work as opposed to just moving it elsewhere.

Beth9991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't exactly know how I would add these translations to the files to play on the DS. Does anyone know how? Do I just drag the translations to the files?

Beth9991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Set your untranslated ROM as the source path, and the .xdelta as the patch path, and finally set the output path of the patched ROM to be created.
Thanks for the help! I just wish this translation thing could also happen to other Japanese DS games I have.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.