RELEASE [Release/Tutorial] Switch theme injector : Easily make custom themes

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by exelix11, Sep 24, 2018.

1. exelix11
    OP

exelix11 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    C:\users\exelix11\
    Manurocker95 likes this.
  2. Manurocker95

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Last edited by Manurocker95, Apr 28, 2019
  3. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
  4. enthusiasticGeek

enthusiasticGeek Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2019
    United States
    Can I use a gif image as the background?

5. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Nope, only static 1280x720 images

6. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    Can I 'convert' an already created theme from someone else to work on 8.0.1 or this just for creating from scratch ?

7. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    peteruk likes this.
  8. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
  9. Supreme23

Supreme23 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 13, 2017
    United States
    Do I only need to overwrite the szs files once to start getting the animations with the animated themes? All the szs files are named the same but are different sizes. Please help.

10. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Depends on which theme did you download, before official animations support some were distributed as nxtheme + szs to be used together, you had to copy the szs to the systemData folder of the installer and then install the nxtheme, once installed you had to extract the home menu again or else themes installed in the future would be broken. Now with official support you just need to install an nxtheme. If you changed manually the systemData folder in the past you should extract the home menu again

Supreme23 likes this.
  11. Supreme23

Mar 13, 2017
    United States

Been trying to get jbj's themes to animate. The Drop, Minimal Grey Glass, Sekiro, Back To The Future, Bebop animated themes. Only one I've got to work is the new one he released that doesn't need szs to animate. Each theme download has the nxtheme files and szs files which are different sizes. It seems I wouldn't be able to store the szs files in the same folder because they would always need to overwritten depending on what theme I was trying to use. Is this correct?

Last edited by Supreme23, May 3, 2019
  12. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    Tried and failed.... was only a fairly basic theme, will have to wait until the original creator of the theme updates their theme for 8.0.1....... Unless.... Long shot, but would anybody be prepared to convert the one theme for me please ???

13. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Yes, you must copy the szs for the theme you want to install to the systemData folder one at a time, guess this isn't really a good design but now it's not needed anymore. Also as you use an szs from a specific firmware most likely they won't work on 8.x

Which theme is that ? Also remove the attachment, there's a bunch of stuff other than the theme

Supreme23 and peteruk like this.
  14. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015

Thanks for all the info, I've deleted the attachment

The theme was from a set labeled [SX OS Themes] Black and Blue, Black and Red & Black and Green - the one I was using was the Black and Red version

It was a very basic theme but was one that I liked a lot

Perhaps I'll have to look for something else

15. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    I guess you could extract the image and use it with a compatible layout, was the original file an nxtheme ? EDIT: apparently it is, you can follow the same steps to extract the layout in the link i posted earlier but get the image.dds file instead of the layout

Last edited by exelix11, May 4, 2019
    peteruk likes this.
  16. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    ok, thank you, I'll try

17. Supreme23

Mar 13, 2017
    United States
    Do you think the latest szs files will work with most of the themes not on 8.x?

18. exelix11
    OP

Feb 25, 2015
    Italy
    Idk, haven't tried. Last time i tried was with szs files from 5 and 6 and no they aren't compatible.
    Still now animations are supported in nxthemes and that was pretty much the only reason to post szs files.

Supreme23 likes this.
  19. Denni93

Denni93 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2016
    Germany
    Hey guys, is it possible to convert an old theme to a new format if I only have the .szs files?

I can´t remember where I got my theme from, and it´s not compatible with the newer firmware anymore, could you help me out?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Never mind, I found the background image somewhere and created a new one^^

Last edited by Denni93, May 5, 2019
    exelix11 likes this.
  20. CassioAug

CassioAug Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2019
    Brazil
    About nxtheme file format, since it is firmware-independent, will it still cause the crashes issues on boot when you update your firmware?