Homebrew [RELEASE] SocketPunch - GUI Alternative to FBI's SockFile

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I see so it can't be helped

But when i attempt to sending file from my PC to 3ds (data management on system) it works flawlessly even without an internet connection, i found it weird why FBI isnt' the same :/

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see so it can't be helped

But when i attempt to sending file from my PC to 3ds (data management on system) it works flawlessly even without an internet connection, i found it weird why FBI isnt' the same :/
The SMB server for the 3DS? Neat, I wonder if it could be reverse engineered to see what line of code is telling the 3DS to connect regardless. That would probably still be a lot of work for something rather niche.

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Can anyone tell me how to get this work i have fbi installed idk how to do any of this.

It's really easy, you only need to connect the same WiFi to your 3ds and PC and open FBI press Y, on PC you open socketpunch type the exact same IP as your 3ds and select what you want to install then press punch.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Read the features and didn't see anything about it supporting folders. Would I need to have EVERY .cia file in a single folder with the .jar file? or Would it be okay to have a main folder with sub folders and the .jar in the main folder? Or would I need to have that .jar in every single folder?

Edit: figured it out.

Last edited by Robert McCoy,

foroweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hmm. Read the features and didn't see anything about it supporting folders. Would I need to have EVERY .cia file in a single folder with the .jar file? or Would it be okay to have a main folder with sub folders and the .jar in the main folder? Or would I need to have that .jar in every single folder?

Edit: figured it out.

Hi, @Robert McCoy

First use this, it's very easy and usefull. (Download FBI from @wjchen and socket punch mod from @Olmectron, this has a drag and drop function)

Next, in FBI app, press "Y" button and then "A" button for disable the prompts, in your PC, start socket punch and type the ip address displayed in the 3ds screen, drag and drop your CIA's files from any folder in your PC.

Finally, press "Punch" button (it's the blue in right down corner in socket punch screen)

In your PC you can put all CIA's files in the same folder together.

I made a mod of @Joshtech's Socket Punch.

It's more of a GUI mod, because the functionality is basically the same. It uses a kind of Material Design, and it now supports Drag & Drop files, and opening them from other folders. Make sure you have the latest Java version.

It uses the same code for transfers as Joshtech's latest version.

I tested it with @wjchen 's compiled build of FBI, it works great with it.

@Joshtech Socket Punch mod v0.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzu4wt97fkkt3jd/SocketPunchMod-v0.1.rar?dl=0
@wjchen FBI build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0mbec3zuwj9t4f/FBI-chen-fix4.cia?dl=0

Thanks @Joshtech for your amazing work! And thanks @wjchen for compiling the new FBI build with the misaligned issue fixed!

Reactions: Robert McCoy

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nice I gave this little app a try and it works fine, but the speed is somewhat low, isn't there any way it make it faster?
Currently it install CIAs over the network at 3500 mbps (roughly 449 KB/s), it'd be nice if it could double or triple it's transfer speeds (ftbrony reaches speeds of 12mbps [or 1.3-1.5 MB/s])
It'd be nice if the transfer speeds could be increased.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nice I gave this little app a try and it works fine, but the speed is somewhat low, isn't there any way it make it faster?
Currently it install CIAs over the network at 3500 mbps (roughly 449 KB/s), it'd be nice if it could double or triple it's transfer speeds (ftbrony reaches speeds of 12mbps [or 1.3-1.5 MB/s])
It'd be nice if the transfer speeds could be increased.
This app's speeds differ a lot between users. I get around 800KB/s nearly always, and sometimes around 1MB/s. I've seen users report getting 1.3 MB/s, and some others as low as 100KB/s. For reference, I installed Bravely Second EUR which is around 2 GB in size in 1 hour. That's 1.1MB/s.

I'm not sure what could be causing the speed differences. Different routers? Less devices using the same network at the same time? I'm sincerely not sure.

Edit: Although I've made different tests with Router to 3DS proximity, and when my 3DS was less than 1 meter away from the Router, the speed was stable and increased to at least 1.1MB/s

Last edited by Olmectron,
Reactions: TinchoX

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This app's speeds differ a lot between users. I get around 800KB/s nearly always, and sometimes around 1MB/s. I've seen users report getting 1.3 MB/s, and some others as low as 100KB/s. For reference, I installed Bravely Second EUR which is around 2 GB in size in 1 hour. That's 1.1MB/s.

I'm not sure what could be causing the speed differences. Different routers? Less devices using the same network at the same time? I'm sincerely not sure.

Edit: Although I've made different tests with Router to 3DS proximity, and when my 3DS was less than 1 meter away from the Router, the speed was stable and increased to at least 1.1MB/s

That's some info you've got there, my router is right behind my LED Screen (The one I'm looking at right now :P) and the 3DS is right next to my keyboard, so I'd say half a meter away from the router, it's a custom firmware router with unlocked speeds so it's always at full upstream speeds (my wi-fi devices can download stuff at the advertised speeds of the ISP) that's 12mbps, transferring stuff using Filezilla for example (FTP) gives me 12mbps uploads to the 3DS, so I was wondering if FBI could be optimized like so. (Note: Latest Filezilla + Ftbrony used to achieve that speed)

MAYBE it could be optimized a bit more just like ftbrony, maybe not, MAYBE it's FBI app causing the slowdown (lack of optimization maybe?) or it could be any other factor I am ignoring, but I think it should get past 10mbps easily if given enough love, who knows!

Edit: And yes I understand the awesomeness of installing a CIA over the network, you don't need to copy the damn CIA file to the SD card directly to install it!
I just wish it was a bit faster ;)

Last edited by TinchoX,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll need to check about that. I think SocketPunch is the one to be optimized for getting better speeds, since I already got more than 1MB/s (and some other users got 1.4 MB/s).

Some extracts from my Socket Punch's log file:

08/03/2016 - 23:00:58 - Success! Dedede Drum Bash.cia sent in 1:05 minutes at average 934KB/s

08/03/2016 - 22:59:53 - Sending file with size of 58.00mb

08/03/2016 - 22:59:53 - Sending info...

08/03/2016 - 22:59:52 - Success! Kirby Triple Deluxe US.cia sent in 9:24 minutes at average 1109KB/s

08/03/2016 - 22:50:27 - Sending file with size of 597.65mb

08/03/2016 - 22:50:27 - Sending info...

08/03/2016 - 22:50:26 - Success! The Legend of Zelda a Link Between Worlds US.cia sent in 10:23 minutes at average 1141KB/s

08/03/2016 - 22:40:02 - Sending file with size of 679.30mb

But as I said, I usually get lower speeds than that. around 700-800 KB/s. Let's see if something can be done.

TinchoX

Azure Flame Kite
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Today I attempted to install a large file (1.8gigs) but the damn thing keeps crashing on me, I wonder if it's the o3DS' fault or my JAVA version :/

Also, any updates on this little software? It'd be nice to have a few improvements here and there~
(is it still being worked on?)

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: TinchoX

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I made a mod of @Joshtech's Socket Punch.

It's more of a GUI mod, because the functionality is basically the same. It uses a kind of Material Design, and it now supports Drag & Drop files, and opening them from other folders. Make sure you have the latest Java version.

It uses the same code for transfers as Joshtech's latest version.

I tested it with @wjchen 's compiled build of FBI, it works great with it.

@Joshtech Socket Punch mod v0.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzu4wt97fkkt3jd/SocketPunchMod-v0.1.rar?dl=0
@wjchen FBI build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0mbec3zuwj9t4f/FBI-chen-fix4.cia?dl=0

Thanks @Joshtech for your amazing work! And thanks @wjchen for compiling the new FBI build with the misaligned issue fixed!

Your version is brilliant, thank you. The standard version failed half way through a 1.3GB transfer for me but your version did it with no problems and seemed a bit faster too.

Reactions: Olmectron

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1