Homebrew [Release] Robin Hood's Platform game

bayleef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am proud to present my first Nintendo 3DS homebrew (3dsx files for ninjhax / homebrew launcher).
This is a completely rewritten version of a platform game I programmed about 8 years ago to learn C++.

Robin Hood's Platform Game is a single player platform game.
Can you defeat Sheriff of Nottingham's henchmen and reach the finish?

Controls:
A: Bounce
B: Shoot
D-pad: Move left/right
Start: Leave
L + R in main menu: cheat to unlock all levels

If you touch the Sheriff's henchmen or their knives, you will die. Defeat the henchmen by shooting arrows, not by jumping on their heads.

bQ2xuNh.png

The source is available here: https://github.com/esoteric-programmer/robin-hood

[Edit] IMPORTANT NOTE: I've not implemented timing yet. The game runs fine on my Old3DS, but it may run too fast on New3DS. I don't have a New3DS, so I couldn't test it. Please tell me, if the game runs too fast on New3DS, so I may fix it.

Attachments

• robin-hood.zip
    500.6 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by bayleef,

machinamentum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Edit] IMPORTANT NOTE: I've not implemented timing yet. The game runs fine on my Old3DS, but it may run too fast on New3DS. I don't have a New3DS, so I couldn't test it. Please tell me, if the game runs too fast on New3DS, so I may fix it.
You shouldn't have to implement timing on consoles. Unlike PC's pretty much all homebrew enabled consoles support syncing with vblank which implicitly makes your code run at ~60FPS (assuming you're not taking up so much CPU time that you miss the Vblank before trying to wait for it). sf2dlib by default calls gspWaitForEvent(GSPEVENT_VBlank0, false); from within sf2d_swapbuffers(); as long as you dont call sf2d_set_vblank_wait(0), it should run at the same speed on both O3DS and N3DS.

bayleef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sf2dlib by default calls gspWaitForEvent(GSPEVENT_VBlank0, false); from within sf2d_swapbuffers(); as long as you dont call sf2d_set_vblank_wait(0), it should run at the same speed on both O3DS and N3DS.
I didn't know that, thank you!
When I waited for vblank manually, the game slowed down a lot. Probably, because then it waited for two vblanks instead of one.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Just finished playing the game, it is one small game for me, But a giant leap for homebrew.
It wasn't a omg game, and I didn't liked the falling thing, but it was enjoyable and challenging (Lv3 and Lv4 FUCKING ARCHER AT THE END).
I will like to see more levels, especially boss level.

bayleef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game.
The number of levels is certainly too low. I've never planned to create a large game. However, I agree with you that building more levels is definitively necessary.
At the moment, I only have a very uncomfortable level editor (I lost the sources; The editor creates the wrong file format and does not include clouds, flowers, and trees. So I must convert the levels manually and add these extras). Therefore I'm thinking about writing a better level editor first. The next two weeks I'll be on holiday, therefore new levels or a level editor won't be released within the next weeks.

Bosses may be a good feature. I thought about different types of enemies as well. And I plan to display developer highscores. (You already can find these highscores in the level files at github).

Last edited by bayleef,

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Just played through this on my 9.9 O3DS - it's a very entertaining little game. I noticed a little something though - sometimes when an enemy is on an elevated platform and gets shot by Robin Hood, it doesn't die but instead falls from that platform and survives. I don't know if this is how the game was intended to work, but it was a bit strange for me at first, and it definitely adds to the dificulty in certain areas of the game.

Other than that, it's a pretty fun game and I'd like to see you work on it a bit more since it's got a lot of potential. Great work!

bayleef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So much feedback! ^_^

I noticed a little something though - sometimes when an enemy is on an elevated platform and gets shot by Robin Hood, it doesn't die but instead falls from that platform and survives.
This is intended to increase difficulty. But I'm open to changes, if this is too confusing.

Good little game but the collision detection needs a little work
Maybe the bounding boxes are too small? Or have you encountered other problems?

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
This is intended to increase difficulty. But I'm open to changes, if this is too confusing.

Understandable, but it is a bit confusing. It'd make more sense if you had different enemies, say, a red one that dies in one hit and a blue one that needs 3 hits to die.
Also the ability to shoot more than one arrow in succession like in Megaman would be useful if you do implement stronger enemies. Just my two cents.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Tou like it until you killed by the archer at the end...
The not-dying-easily Is part of the game. But it annoying that nothing happens when you shoot enemy on mid air.

bayleef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I could change the enemy behaviour such that they would fall down one level for each time they've been hit, regardless if they've been in the air or not. This wouldn't change the concept of the game much and seems to be more logical and less annoying.

farias0

Whatever
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there any possibility of you sharing the source code? I want to learn to program on 3DS and messing with this game seems like a good start. Thanks a lot!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 24 core Ryzen touchyfire quad 4090s 560hz 12k displays and such