[Release] Robin Hood's Platform game

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by bayleef, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I am proud to present my first Nintendo 3DS homebrew (3dsx files for ninjhax / homebrew launcher).
    This is a completely rewritten version of a platform game I programmed about 8 years ago to learn C++.

Robin Hood's Platform Game is a single player platform game.
    Can you defeat Sheriff of Nottingham's henchmen and reach the finish?

Controls:
    A: Bounce
    B: Shoot
    D-pad: Move left/right
    Start: Leave
    L + R in main menu: cheat to unlock all levels

If you touch the Sheriff's henchmen or their knives, you will die. Defeat the henchmen by shooting arrows, not by jumping on their heads.

[​IMG]

The source is available here: https://github.com/esoteric-programmer/robin-hood

[Edit] IMPORTANT NOTE: I've not implemented timing yet. The game runs fine on my Old3DS, but it may run too fast on New3DS. I don't have a New3DS, so I couldn't test it. Please tell me, if the game runs too fast on New3DS, so I may fix it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by bayleef, Sep 16, 2015
    cynosura, Stecker8, klear and 13 others like this.
  2. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    [​IMG] The homebrew scene is growing!

SLiV3R likes this.
  3. machinamentum

machinamentum GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2015
    United States
    You shouldn't have to implement timing on consoles. Unlike PC's pretty much all homebrew enabled consoles support syncing with vblank which implicitly makes your code run at ~60FPS (assuming you're not taking up so much CPU time that you miss the Vblank before trying to wait for it). sf2dlib by default calls gspWaitForEvent(GSPEVENT_VBlank0, false); from within sf2d_swapbuffers(); as long as you dont call sf2d_set_vblank_wait(0), it should run at the same speed on both O3DS and N3DS.

4. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I didn't know that, thank you!
    When I waited for vblank manually, the game slowed down a lot. Probably, because then it waited for two vblanks instead of one.

5. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    Just finished playing the game, it is one small game for me, But a giant leap for homebrew.
    It wasn't a omg game, and I didn't liked the falling thing, but it was enjoyable and challenging (Lv3 and Lv4 FUCKING ARCHER AT THE END).
    I will like to see more levels, especially boss level.

6. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game.
    The number of levels is certainly too low. I've never planned to create a large game. However, I agree with you that building more levels is definitively necessary.
    At the moment, I only have a very uncomfortable level editor (I lost the sources; The editor creates the wrong file format and does not include clouds, flowers, and trees. So I must convert the levels manually and add these extras). Therefore I'm thinking about writing a better level editor first. The next two weeks I'll be on holiday, therefore new levels or a level editor won't be released within the next weeks.

Bosses may be a good feature. I thought about different types of enemies as well. And I plan to display developer highscores. (You already can find these highscores in the level files at github).

Last edited by bayleef, Sep 17, 2015
  7. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Just played through this on my 9.9 O3DS - it's a very entertaining little game. I noticed a little something though - sometimes when an enemy is on an elevated platform and gets shot by Robin Hood, it doesn't die but instead falls from that platform and survives. I don't know if this is how the game was intended to work, but it was a bit strange for me at first, and it definitely adds to the dificulty in certain areas of the game.

Other than that, it's a pretty fun game and I'd like to see you work on it a bit more since it's got a lot of potential. Great work!

8. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Good little game but the collision detection needs a little work

9. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    So much feedback! ^_^

This is intended to increase difficulty. But I'm open to changes, if this is too confusing.

Maybe the bounding boxes are too small? Or have you encountered other problems?

10. OctopusRift

OctopusRift GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"

Nov 19, 2014
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    This is cute. I love it.

11. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Understandable, but it is a bit confusing. It'd make more sense if you had different enemies, say, a red one that dies in one hit and a blue one that needs 3 hits to die.
    Also the ability to shoot more than one arrow in succession like in Megaman would be useful if you do implement stronger enemies. Just my two cents.

12. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    Tou like it until you killed by the archer at the end...
    The not-dying-easily Is part of the game. But it annoying that nothing happens when you shoot enemy on mid air.

13. bayleef
    OP

bayleef Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 15, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I could change the enemy behaviour such that they would fall down one level for each time they've been hit, regardless if they've been in the air or not. This wouldn't change the concept of the game much and seems to be more logical and less annoying.

14. the assaf

the assaf GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    Midair enemies already falling one level, so nothing heppens when you shoot them.

15. farias0

farias0 Whatever

Sep 29, 2015
    Brazil
    Is there any possibility of you sharing the source code? I want to learn to program on 3DS and messing with this game seems like a good start. Thanks a lot!

16. fmkid

fmkid Just another GBATemp's random guy

Apr 23, 2015
    Colombia

17. farias0

farias0 Whatever

Sep 29, 2015
    Brazil
    For some reason I just ignored it while reading and now I'm feeling really moronic. Thank you.

18. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    This is a neat little platformer, I guess the only thing I didn't like were the character designs. They just seemed too generic to me, but then again this is only a little homebrew game!

19. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    This looks very nice! :)