Homebrew [Release] Retrobattle for 3ds

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
retrobattle.png

Retrobattle is made to look and feel like the classic arcade-style NES games, such as Ice Climber and Clu Clu Land. Not only are the sprites limited to three colors each, but the scoring, increasing difficulty, and setup of the game makes for a challenging arcade experience that mixes various oldschool concepts. Note that playing on Skill 1 is pretty boring compared to the havoc of Skill 8, so it may seem slow at first.

This game was originally implemented in Game Maker by Daniel Remar. This is a port of the C++/SDL implementation by Andreas Remar.

--------​

The source code of my port is on my github (https://github.com/nop90/Retrobattle).
The compiled game (3dsx and CIA formats) is released on github (https://github.com/nop90/Retrobattle/releases).

Enjoy this game ad let me know the bugs you find.

Credits:
The original source is by Andreas Remar (http://remar.se/andreas/retrobattle/)
This game uses the sf2d sftd and sfil libraries created by @xerpi

Changelog

Ver. 1.0 (14 September 2016)
- Fixed text drawing in the score panel
- Added resources to build a CIA package

Ver. 0.1 alpha (10 September 2016)
- First alpha release.

Installation

In the zip there is a folder with the 3dsx and the smdh files inside, to be used with a homebrew launcher. All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

The game creates a Retrobattle subfolder inside the 3ds folder if doesn't exist. Here will be saved your scores.

Commands

MAIN SCREEN
- A: Start the game
- Left/right: Select starting stage
- Down: Select starting Skill level
- Start: Quit the game

IN-GAME
- Left/right: Move left/right
- A: Jump (keep pressed to jump higher)
- B: Shoot
- Select: Pause/unpause
- Start: Go back to the main screen

Known Bugs

-

To Do List

-

Screenshots

retrobattle1.png
retrobattle2.png
retrobattle3.png

Last edited by nop90,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Blah blah CIA blah? :)

I'm reworking the code I use for the CIA. I solved the problems that you kindly reported for fruity, but I found anoyher problem that happens in all my homebrews: from the program if you press Home and go to main menu, closing the 3ds case hangs everything.

When solve this, I'll update all my homebrews and I'll release the CIA for this game too. I ask you only a little patience. :)

Last edited by nop90,

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great game, one issue though is that the game kept freezing on my n3ds. Disabling n3ds clock and the cache solved this though.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Great game, one issue though is that the game kept freezing on my n3ds. Disabling n3ds clock and the cache solved this though.

What do you mean with 3ds clock?

If you refer to the possibility to set the 3ds clock with luma and other cfw, in my code I usually leave the osSetSpeedupEnable on. Since it's nor needed for this game I'll remove it in next release, Maybe this will fix the problem.

Tebra

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I try this game on my 2DS.
I like it. Thank you for the port.
One small bug: the font is not easily readable.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One small bug: the font is not easily readable.

Yes I know, but since there isn't very much to read I decided to release the game in alpha version.

I'm using the original gfx that I scale down to 40% of it's size with the GPU, so it's normal that something is not perfect.

I'll try to edit the font to make it more readable.

Reactions: Tebra

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean with 3ds clock?

If you refer to the possibility to set the 3ds clock with luma and other cfw, in my code I usually leave the osSetSpeedupEnable on. Since it's nor needed for this game I'll remove it in next release, Maybe this will fix the problem.
Sorry, I meant clock speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt