[Release] PowerPrevent SysModule

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WerWolv, Apr 15, 2018.

1. WerWolv
    OP

WerWolv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    Switzerland
    Thanks to the inconvenient placement of the power button on the N3DSXL and the N2DS I had to replay many many stages because I accidentally pressed it with my finger. This SysModule brings an end to this. Let me introduce you PowerPrevent. It constantly runs in the background and disables the functionality of the power button unless the START button is held down.

How it works

Due to a limitation in the SysModule loading of Luma3DS, this project is basically a fork of Rosalina and "replaces" it with a modified version of itself. Rosalina still works like before. In addition to Rosalina, there is now a check that enables or disables the interrupt caused by a short press of the power button. Long pressing the power button will still cause a hard shutdown, without the need for pressing the START button.

Installation
    1. Go to the Luma3DS config menu by holding the SELECT button during boot
    2. Enable the option Enable loading external FIRMs and modules
    3. Copy the downloaded rosalina.cxi into the SDHC:/luma/sysmodules folder on your SD card. Don't rename the file. If it isn't called rosalina.cxi, Luma won't load it.
    4. Restart your console. Everything should be working now

Download

Source code: https://github.com/WerWolv98/PowerPrevent_SysModule
    Download: https://github.com/WerWolv98/PowerPrevent_SysModule/releases/latest

Credit:

Many thanks to AuroraWright for her Luma3DS project. This mod is highly based on her work

Last edited by WerWolv, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Germany
    " I had to replay many many stages because I accidentally pressed it with my finger."

I have no idea how this can happen but nice to see new things nontheless :)

3. WerWolv
    OP

WerWolv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    Switzerland
    I have quite big hands and when pressing the shoulder buttons I usually hold the 3DS with my pinky finger in place. That finger happens to allign with the power button quite nicely ^^

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Brush your teeth.

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    May I suggest you this? It's a bit pricey but totally makes the N3DSXL so much better, especially for those with large hands. Makes the N3DSXL feel like holding XBOX360 controller.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Double-Cross-Hunting-Nintendo/dp/B01MXRGR2C

5. WerWolv
    OP

WerWolv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    Switzerland
    Thank you for that! I don't like grips that much though because I think they destroy the slick look of the console. Plus my option is free and doesn't have a delivery delay :P

6. VzUh

VzUh you are now reading my custom title

Feb 5, 2017
    Spain
    inside me
    AT LAST.

worst power button location ever, thanks a lot for this!

WerWolv likes this.
  7. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    Grateful, I lost full 3 days of playtime in Majora's Mask as I rested my 3ds xl on my right pinky while gaming, apparently just applying enough pressure to insta-shutdown. Very frustrating. If at least it would warn you before shutting down the software. I will attempt to install this tonight, but before that is this working on the current release of Luma?

Last edited by tacticurn, Aug 6, 2018
    WerWolv likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ So unholy, sister of grace

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Side note, AuroraWright is a girl

9. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    Girl or woman?

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ So unholy, sister of grace

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Women, I guess, she is only a few months younger than me.

cearp likes this.
  11. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    Hi, I enabled the feature in Rosalina (on Luma 9.0). I created the folder sdhc:/luma/sysmodules and copied rosalina.cxi into it. Save. Reboot.

If I hold the power button for several seconds, it still powers off. No splash screen at least. That is normal?

12. WerWolv
    OP

WerWolv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2018
    Switzerland
    Fixed that, thanks. I didn't know that at the time.

It only disables accidental short presses. If you long press the button it still shuts down the console and I don't think there's a way to prevent that since it's the power management controller who does that

13. Itzumi

Itzumi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    Inside the CTRNAND
    My problem is the exact opposite. Sometimes I have trouble pressing it.

14. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    Working as intended then :) I guess it is mostly the short accidental pushes that gave me a headache.

15. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Now PLEASE make a different one that makes it that if you press the power button, the console shuts off without having to go through that “In sleep mode, the system can...” menu.

16. tacticurn

tacticurn Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2018
    Germany
    This rosalina modification does exactly that, you still have to hold the power button down for 3 seconds or so. But it turns off without any warnings first. I'd rather not have an insta-turn off button.

17. tacticurn
    This message by tacticurn has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 7, 2018, Reason: Requested.
    Aug 7, 2018