Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Because a HBL in .cia format couldn't load .3dsx homebrew files, as currently HBL (boot.3dsx) does!
I see where you're coming from but has anyone actually tried a .cia version of the HBL? If no ones tried it how can we be certain that it will/wont work? (Haven't read much so if someone has attempted a .cia build don't kill me)

Reactions: Shadow#1

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I see where you're coming from but has anyone actually tried a .cia version of the HBL? If no ones tried it how can we be certain that it will/wont work? (Haven't read much so if someone has attempted a .cia build don't kill me)
Well, I'm not completely sure about that, but there are some tecnical reasons to infer that. For this, I say "high probability it doesn't work"... However, would be good if someone try to make a .cia from this HBL, load from CFW and see if really works or not!

Edit: Indeed, to be exact, ATM only thing able to run any .3dsx file is not even HBL, is really the Hax!

Last edited by fmkid,

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's currently in an early build, but I'm just a little bit concern on how it would turn out in the end. Based on past experience, concepts sometimes don't translate very well into products (not all programmers are necessarily graphic designers).

So I decided to whip up a concept of how I think it should look.

homebrewconceptrender.png

I tried to keep the concept as realistic as possible based on how the homebrew launcher currently handle things. I thought the waves from the official homebrew launcher looked great, so I've added them here. I've also changed the font to Robot since Segoe UI is the property of Microsoft. Lastly, I've changed some things to blue as I think accent colors are important for providing characteristics to the launcher.

homebrewconcept.png

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I know it's currently in an early build, but I'm just a little bit concern on how it would turn out in the end. Based on past experience, concepts sometimes don't translate very well into products (not all programmers are necessarily graphic designers).

I tried to keep the concept as realistic as possible based on how the homebrew launcher currently handle things. I thought the waves from the official homebrew launcher looked great, so I've added them here. I've also changed the font to Robot since Segoe UI is the property of Microsoft. Lastly, I've changed some things to blue as I think accent colors are important for providing characteristics to the launcher.

homebrewconcept.png
Will be great if someday custom HBL looks like that!

Reactions: link6155

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country

homebrewconcept.png

Looks nice. But it is 90 % the same as TS. I would prefer a bigger icon on the upper screen!

Reactions: Shadow#1

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice. But it is 90 % the same as TS. I would prefer a bigger icon on the upper screen!

I would too, but right now .smdh files don't have bigger icons. If you made the icon bigger, it would just look blurry. I made the concept so that it is actually possible to create based on how the Homebrew Launcher currently works.

We might be able to get bigger icons if the launcher used .bin files from CIA homebrew apps, but I don't think that'll happen.

Reactions: 730

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would too, but right now .smdh files don't have bigger icons. If you made the icon bigger, it would just look blurry. I made the concept so that it is actually possible to create based on how the Homebrew Launcher currently works.

We might be able to get bigger icons if the launcher used .bin files from CIA homebrew apps, but I don't think that'll happen.
What about selectable themes?

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Yeah, making the icon bigger is not the solution. That shadow, the big text, and the wave make it look way better than a bigger icon IMO.

Reactions: fmkid and link6155

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
That looks pretty amazing, @link6155.

On the subject of fonts: Under US law (perhaps most relevant as smea is currently US-based), legal ownership of fonts is a weird one; you can't actually own a typeface, only a patent on the design and the software implementation of the typeface. You can't get in trouble for using a typeface (or else it'd be pretty pointless to type anything at all), but redistributing a usable copy of that software font would violate the copyright on the software implementation of that font. I don't know exactly how Segoe UI is implemented in the Homebrew Launcher, but unless it includes a TTF or something (i.e. a piece of Microsoft-owned software dictating how the font works) then it's not distributing copyrighted code. It's perfectly acceptable to, e.g. convert a typeface at a particular (or even multiple) font sizes as bitmap and distribute those. Lastly, fonts' names can be trademarked, but it's not illegal to state the name of a trademarked property (that would be silly), it just means you can't steal that name.

That's US law, though. In much of Europe (smea's home country of France and mashers' UK included), typefaces are protected under copyright; they still provide exceptions for using fonts, however, because it would be insane to try to prevent people from using a font because they don't own the copyright for them. It seems reasonably clear that the Homebrew Launcher uses Segoe UI in a typographical sense, rather than being a distribution vector for a copyrighted typeface. However, there does seem to be a font.bin included in the source of the Homebrew Launcher, and presumably this appropriates the copyrighted typeface design of Segoe UI and could theoretically open up HBL to secondary infringement (under UK law, "making, importing, possessing or dealing with article for making infringing copy"). However, it's not being offered in a format that would allow creation of infringing copies easily or doing anything that's not done every day by everyone under the sun without any legal backlash ... consider that video games generally include a bevy of fonts which the end-user probably hasn't licensed but which they could theoretically--if terribly inconveniently--extract from the game's data and use to make infringing works.

It's certainly cleaner to just use an openly-licensed font, in that there's zero debate that it's 100% acceptable to redistribute them as required in any sensible legal jurisdiction, but it shouldn't be necessary to do so even if current law in some areas hasn't really caught up with the accepted practical usage of fonts.

Reactions: 730

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Target title selector still not working...
This response is neither helpful nor encouraging. I have already been made aware that it doesn't work, have already said I will try to sort it, and have already added it to the todo list. Posting to say "it's still not working" is pointless and will only make me feel resentful about working on it at all.

Suggestions about the UI are helpful and I do agree that the large icon is not the best solution. I already intend to change the font and will do so when I am back home at my main computer and can compile the font library.

Releasing the source will not happen while this is still in beta. I'm having issues where adding new code to the project causes it to hang when launching an app. I will therefore not release the source until I have either sorted that or added all of the features I originally intended for this project and managed to keep it stable.

I don't mean to sound harsh about any of this, but I'm getting several posts here and also private conversations started which are all asking about the same things, so I just want to be clear.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
This response is neither helpful nor encouraging. I have already been made aware that it doesn't work, have already said I will try to sort it, and have already added it to the todo list. Posting to say "it's still not working" is pointless and will only make me feel resentful about working on it at all.

Suggestions about the UI are helpful and I do agree that the large icon is not the best solution. I already intend to change the font and will do so when I am back home at my main computer and can compile the font library.

Releasing the source will not happen while this is still in beta. I'm having issues where adding new code to the project causes it to hang when launching an app. I will therefore not release the source until I have either sorted that or added all of the features I originally intended for this project and managed to keep it stable.

I don't mean to sound harsh about any of this, but I'm getting several posts here and also private conversations started which are all asking about the same things, so I just want to be clear.
This isn't supposed to come off as rude and I apologize if you're offended. But at this point it's also stressful if it's done by a lone person. Sure everyone will have their input and opinion but as someone said, putting it on github isn't so someone can steal credit or so. Rather we can help with the input while still remaining as your work, the commits posted or added by people who are script kitties can be cherry picked by you. Not releasing the source code only makes it difficult for people to help but also closes the window where no help can be provided and you might as well deem this and lock it up until you feel like you're ready to try again. Not trying to provoke you or anything but the whole point of a beta phase is to accumulate feedback.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Misledz,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't supposed to come off as rude and I apologize if you're offended. But at this point it's also stressful if it's done by a lone person. Sure everyone will have their input and opinion but as someone said, putting it on github isn't so someone can steal credit or so. Rather we can help with the input while still remaining as your work, the commits posted or added by people who are script kitties can be cherry picked by you. Not releasing the source code only makes it difficult for people to help but also closes the window where no help can be provided and you might as well deem this and lock it up until you feel like you're ready to try again. Not trying to provoke you or anything but the whole point of a beta phase is to accumulate feedback.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for this post Misledz - no offence taken at all. I do understand your points about sharing on GitHub and will be looking in to how to do this next week. I would still prefer the source to be at least stable when adding new code before releasing as otherwise it's hard for others to contribute.

Misledz

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thanks for this post Misledz - no offence taken at all. I do understand your points about sharing on GitHub and will be looking in to how to do this next week. I would still prefer the source to be at least stable when adding new code before releasing as otherwise it's hard for others to contribute.
Thanks for understanding :) if you need help with github I'm sure there are more experienced users than I am, who are willing to assist you in setting it up in any way we can be it simple or complex, for this project of yours to be a long term one. Not sure if someone has mentioned it but github desktop is fairly easy to use and set up, even better as the commits done are easily checked for errors so makes it easier to compile. Looking forward to it mate.

Githubhttps://desktop.github.com

Last edited by Misledz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)