Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY 4.0 BETA (Private Beta Program)

Fixix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently trying this out, working well so far, a little disappointed about no real improvements on the cheat function, including enabling, scanning, and making lists.
As far as I can see, the only way to enable the hotkey is still to boot into Gateway mode, remove the Gateway card, press select to attempt to bring up the games list, instead you get a menu with some option including enabling of the cheat function & selecting the hotkey.
Also Im a little disappointed that nothing is being done about DSiWare CIA files not working, even when purchased directly from the eShop.
Also including the patch which prevents the eShop from asking you to update would've been VERY simple, but was not included.
The bug where if you have installed custom themes & enter the eShop, it uninstalls them all, that would also be really easy to fix, but has not been fixed.
The minor bug of various present wrapping of games still persists too, although I have little knowledge of how to fix it, I think we can assume its rather easy to patch.
In general the game list menu could be vastly improved, but has remained unchanged & very basic.

So yes, many missed opportunities to improve the software in meaningful ways.

Last edited by Fixix,

Ncm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,
I am on 4.5 using profile DS exploit, and i would like to know what's the benefit using A9HL ? Will i be capable of booting in emunand automatically ?
And what about save encryption ? For example, if I update to 9.2+ for CFW, i know that some save will be corrupt, because it's using different save encryption, will it be the same with A9HL or there is no connection between the two point ?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hi,
I am on 4.5 using profile DS exploit, and i would like to know what's the benefit using A9HL ? Will i be capable of booting in emunand automatically ?
And what about save encryption ? For example, if I update to 9.2+ for CFW, i know that some save will be corrupt, because it's using different save encryption, will it be the same with A9HL or there is no connection between the two point ?
Basically it's the same bootrate as using MSET but the hack launches before anything else(making it brickproof )

Don't install GW's A9LH, if you do your 3ds will be married to your GW card, and if the card breaks/you lost it. Your 3ds will not work without it.

Just install Normal A9LH
Get a Boot manager(like CTR9manager(idk if that was the name ;-; sorry)
And configure the config file from it to boot the arm9loaderhax that comes from Gateway

If you don't understand this
Follow the A9LH guide(it's everywhere, so you won't miss it(DONT USE A VIDEO GUIDE, Just follow the text guide step by step and it will work))

Then look for the guide of installing GW on A9LH v2 :3

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,
Do https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki, but use the 9.2 update section first. You will no longer need an emuNAND, your 3DS will boot into CFW on start-up as though it were a stock console. Everything you have in your emuNAND will be transferred to your sysNAND while doing the guide.
For your saves, back them all up before beginning and keep NAND backups of your sysNAND and emuNAND. There is a way of getting them to work if they stop working (don't know details but have seen it mentioned).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Currently trying this out, working well so far, a little disappointed about no real improvements on the cheat function, including enabling, scanning, and making lists.
As far as I can see, the only way to enable the hotkey is still to boot into Gateway mode, remove the Gateway card, press select to attempt to bring up the games list, instead you get a menu with some option including enabling of the cheat function & selecting the hotkey.
Also Im a little disappointed that nothing is being done about DSiWare CIA files not working, even when purchased directly from the eShop.
Also including the patch which prevents the eShop from asking you to update would've been VERY simple, but was not included.
The bug where if you have installed custom themes & enter the eShop, it uninstalls them all, that would also be really easy to fix, but has not been fixed.
The minor bug of various present wrapping of games still persists too, although I have little knowledge of how to fix it, I think we can assume its rather easy to patch.
In general the game list menu could be vastly improved, but has remained unchanged & very basic.

So yes, many missed opportunities to improve the software in meaningful ways.
Press select to go to the game selcet menu. Zhen press up.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks but if i use this guide : https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
i'll be in cfw 9.2 right ? Will my 4.5 save will still be usable, because my sysnand is in 4.5 so i'm using old save encryption.
Backup all your saves and backup your NAND and emuNAND before you begin. You will be able to convert your saves later. In fact you will end up on sysNAND 11.0 with all your emuNAND stuff intact when finished the guide.

Fixix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Press select to go to the game selcet menu. Zhen press up.
Thanks, I wish they would clearly list ALL hotkeys for ALL menus & what they do within the Gateway documentation, or maybe even a short, quickstart guide, directly on the website which contains useful information, tips, & general information without having to read some large PDF file or look at a picture which explains NOTHING except basic setup.
They seem to just gloss over these important, secret details & not really include all the menus & all the hotkeys information directly on the site.
Pretty unprofessional. a website like Gateway needs better ways to search for & display information, maybe include a trouble shooting section wthin.

Last edited by Fixix,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Fixix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say about the people who blatantly copy/paste code from open-source projects and make them crappier.
To be fair, you find certain methods to accomplish certain things & those are the ONLY methods to accomplish those things so the ONLY thing you can do is "copy/paste" in order to add those features to your product. Plus taking information, released for the public to use for ANY purpose means whoever found those tricks, worked on those exploits, discovered those tips, were okay with the usage of them in the manner Gateway has chosen. Gateway was the first to release their card, before that it was just information the majority of people didn't have the hardware or skills to create software which could ultilize the information. I'm also fairly sure Gateway has added a fair amount of their own code & research into their card, thats more than MOST other cards or software creators currently working on 3DS. Even "free" things released here are mostly people taking source code, or just information, & applying it to create something useful.

Last edited by Fixix,

Ncm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I understand that by using this guide https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/ , at the end i'll have a CFW based on the last sysnand, but how can i use my gateway saves ? Can i keep using my Gateway Card or i should use cia instead ? How exactly do i need to do to have saves from my games working, because i'll have the old data encryption (4.5). Is it possible to convert into cia save if i'll replace all the rom .3ds i have into cia, or is there a way to convert them into save 6+ (if i remember correctly, when i used a retail 3ds card using 4.5 save encryption, and used it into a 3ds with a new firmware, save are corrupted).
The thing that i understand it's that by using the guide, at the end my sysnand will become 9.2, it is missing with my configuration ?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone answer this, if you go ahead and install A9LH with Gateway and you update your system nand after to 11x and say you wanted to go back to 9.2x on systemnand can you just use the downgrade machine again and choose to downgrade 9.2x? or are you then stuck with A9LH on 11x and there is no going back. I'm not fussed about using the other guide I have 2 Gateway cards at hand and they never go out the slot so I'm thinking about just going ahead with the GW guide.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone answer this, if you go ahead and install A9LH with Gateway and you update your system nand after to 11x and say you wanted to go back to 9.2x can you just use the downgrade machine again and choose to downgrade 9.2x? or are you then stuck with A9LH on 11x and there is no going back. I'm not fussed about using the other guide I have 2 Gateway cards at hand and they never go out the slot so I'm thinking about just going ahead with the GW guide.
I personally would recommend staying with emunand with Gateway until they get their FIRM write protection sorted (if they ever do that). if you decide to use sysnand, it's easier to restore an older NAND dump if you want to remove it, just be sure you update using a different cfw.

also don't use Gateway's a9lh or else you can't run any other payloads other than GW Launcher.dat, you can use their arm9loaderhax.bin with a standard setup to keep GW features. nobody recommends it at all.

Reactions: zoogie

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally would recommend staying with emunand with Gateway until they get their FIRM write protection sorted (if they ever do that). if you decide to use sysnand, it's easier to restore an older NAND dump if you want to remove it, just be sure you update using a different cfw.

also don't use Gateway's a9lh or else you can't run any other payloads other than GW Launcher.dat, you can use their arm9loaderhax.bin with a standard setup to keep GW features. nobody recommends it at all.
Thanks for the advice. So you recommend staying with emunand until maybe something better comes up. So soon as you install GW A9lh you cant use homebrew or anything else on the main menu, I'm not concerned about using any CFW I don't see the point if I'm using my GW card. It does not sound too good this new GW update Time Machine they have brought out should they not of thought about this instead of restricting your systemnand on A9lh to just GW use I think that is a tad bit bad.

Last edited by Reecey,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you recommend staying with emunand until maybe something better comes up.
Gateway doesn't prevent FIRM partition writes on sysnand, so it makes using sysnand dangerous with GW. this is why I'm suggesting you stay with emunand for this still.
So soon as you install GW A9lh you cant use homebrew or anything else on the main menu, I'm not concerned about using any CFW I don't see the point if I'm using my GW card.
you can only use GW Launcher.dat. nothing else (other cfws, homebrew payloads like decrypt9/emunand9...). it's not recommended by anyone even if you just use Gateway.

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway doesn't prevent FIRM partition writes on sysnand, so it makes using sysnand dangerous with GW. this is why I'm suggesting you stay with emunand for this still.

you can only use GW Launcher.dat. nothing else (other cfws, homebrew payloads like decrypt9/emunand9...). it's not recommended by anyone even if you just use Gateway.
Shit I never knew that, good job you answered me quick I was about to do it as well. I never thought you actually could not use homebrew or even Decrypt9 I rely on that totally, argh man I would of been so pissed off when I found out after :( Should they not mention this in there details so people will know before hand.

Last edited by Reecey,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit I never knew that, good job you answered me quick I was about to do it as well. I never thought you actually could not use homebrew or even Decrypt9 I rely on that totally, argh man I would of been so pissed off when I found out after :(
I would suggest you use Plailect's guide as normal, except don't clone emunand to sysnand and don't remove it from the SD card. it's the safest guide and you're almost guaranteed to not brick. you can use "EmuNAND" in place of "RedNAND". ;)

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit I never knew that, good job you answered me quick I was about to do it as well. I never thought you actually could not use homebrew or even Decrypt9 I rely on that totally, argh man I would of been so pissed off when I found out after :(
At least you would have had GATEWAY FAST BOOT.

But no, seriously, use Standard A9LH, as in use Plailect's A9LH Guide if A9LH is something you really want.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
At least you would have had GATEWAY FAST BOOT.

But no, seriously, use Standard A9LH, as in use Plailect's A9LH Guide if A9LH is something you really want.
It is what I want but just because I have a high rank here next to my name does not make me an expert and the guide, wow looks complicated to me! I have looked and studied but I'm really not confident enough going through with it, I don't think.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is what I want but just because I have a high rank here next to my name does not make me an expert and the guide, wow looks complicated to me! I have looked and studied but I'm really not confident enough going through with it, I don't think.
Plailect's guide looks complicated, but it's not really. there's a lot of steps yes, it's mostly to be safe from accidental bricks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu