Hacking [RELEASE] GATEWAY 4.0 BETA (Private Beta Program)

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
sorry for what is probably a redundant question, but how can I use this? I have not followed plailect's guide yet for my gateway console but I want to end up with an updated sysnand that I can use gateway on. can I just follow plailect's guide (minus the setup of luma3ds) and just use gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin? sorry again, all this new information is conflicting.

just follow the complete guide step by step, including luma3ds.
getting gateway to work after that is pretty easy, just ask again when youre completely finished

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did they add a "nag screen" when loading in sysnand? It's a9lh so updating isn't a threat anymore right?
Or are they suggesting an update might break the gw menu and we'd have to wait until it was fixed (like the situation was with emunands)?

even worse, GW is not going to implement FIRM protection for SysNAND so updating SysNAND will remove A9LH or brick a O3DS and will brick a N3DS.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can confirm GW 3.7.1 EmuNAND booted through Luma3DS as x_gw.bin works perfectly using Delebile's A9LH fork (the one included in the Plailect guide IIRC). Boots to the home menu in about 19 seconds for me, compared to 12 seconds in Luma (still using 5.4 release). Damn GW splash screen takes so long lol

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Strange, with the latest launcher 4.0b, I confirm to enter my SysNand (using L+R+Select) and black screen (Sys is EUR 11.X).
Using the X+Y script by Limajor or X_Gateway.bin, same results.
Go back to the 4.0a.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this and it *did* work, even though the ctrbootmanager9 I was using did not work. What's the difference between the two?
Not sure, I only use it for the menu Fade in effect... I am just a simple girl at times...

Edit: You can read the release notes to see what's different, I guess. :P

D

Deleted User

The only luck I had was having to switch to a screen-init payload for it to work (A9LH sysNAND). Couldn't get it to run via a Luma payload with no-screen init (just black screen)

Edit: Using the 4.0b launcher has the annoying prompt each time you start A9LH SysNAND (wish it could be a flag -.-) , 3.7.1 doesn't prompt at least - though 3.7.1 brings back the annoying 10-15 power off issue.

GBA games still broken in GW mode it seems. (though assume this is more to do with CXI/cartridge hijacking)

Geez nearly 10MB now for the launcher, and people bitched about Luma being bloated for some god unknown reason.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only luck I had was having to switch to a screen-init payload for it to work (A9LH sysNAND). Couldn't get it to run via a Luma payload with no-screen init (just black screen)

Edit: Using the 4.0b launcher has the annoying prompt each time you start A9LH SysNAND (wish it could be a flag -.-) , 3.7.1 doesn't prompt at least - though 3.7.1 brings back the annoying 10-15 power off issue.

GBA games still broken in GW mode it seems. (though assume this is more to do with CXI/cartridge hijacking)

Geez nearly 10MB now for the launcher, and people bitched about Luma being bloated for some god unknown reason.

well, it makes sense for it to be around 10MB, all the extra utilities (Cart/Save Dumper, NAND Backup and Restore, Diagnostics, and Downgrader) are embedded into the Launcher whereas with Luma, it does not include embedded utilites other than the config menu. Also, GWs boot image is embedded as well.

D

Deleted User

Hmmm, considering using this. It's a very simple A9LH installer.... very nice. Anyone had success yet? Can I change it to Luma once it's finished resetting back to 9.x?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, considering using this. It's a very simple A9LH installer.... very nice. Anyone had success yet? Can I change it to Luma once it's finished resetting back to 9.x?

I would avoid their A9LH installer, it is simple and takes less time as it skips almost all the safety related steps that prevent a brick.

I am not sure if you able to overwrite GWs A9LH from 9.2 while GWs A9LH is installed.
if you want to try, you will need to use the 4.0 Launcher and boot SysNAND mode as FIRM protection is disabled for GW SysNAND mode.

Last edited by driverdis,
D

Deleted User

I would avoid their A9LH installer, it is simple and takes less time as it skips almost all the safety related steps that prevent a brick.
If I have a nand back-up and can restore via hardware it should be totally ok though correct? I've soldered to the board before, i can do it again if necessary.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't have the cart, but the launcher is working just fine on ctrbootmanager9. Before anyone asks, I use it to back up my own games and saves. It saves space to have one launcher that does it all, instead of several to do the same thing.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I have a nand back-up and can restore via hardware it should be totally ok though correct? I've soldered to the board before, i can do it again if necessary.
Beta testers have said that trying to use a hardmod fails because gw blocks the nand from being altered while the 3ds isnt booted up. Or so ive seen.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if you can do a hardmod and Gateway saves your OTP.bin to your SD Card (I am not sure if it does), you should be able to make a pre-A9LH NAND backup on 9.2, then use GW's A9LH installer.
afterward, you can flash the pre-A9LH NAND backup then use SafeA9LHInstaller with your OTP.bin and install the A9LH branch from @Plailect's guide. (follow the A9LH install section of his guide)

EDIT: it seems that hardmod NAND backups may not work right once GWs A9LH is installed, I would either use the A9LH guide or wait until people can confirm or deny this.

Last edited by driverdis,

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Gateway didn't implement FIRM0/FIRM1 write protection. So, you downgrade to 2.1, and instead of at least being able to get back to 9.2 somehow, you install Gateway's version A9LH on 2.1. Guess what? If you're on an Old 3ds, you might brick your console by updating, or lose A9LH. And if you try and update on a New3ds, you'll definitely brick. So lucky Gateway A9LH users get to be stuck on 2.1! I'm glad Gateway's trying to get involved in what's current, and their arm9loaderhax.bin file is a step in the right direction, but seriously; who would install their version of A9LH? Although, now that I think about it, Gateway users would still be able to use their emuNAND. But isn't one of the advantages of A9LH that you don't need an emuNAND? Final thought: I'll just stick to their arm9loaderhax.bin file.

EDIT: I actually think that this "release" (not technically a release, per se) is the final nail in the coffin of their promised 10.3 support.

Last edited by Logan Pockrus,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw