• Replies 4,207
  • Likes 102

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used the modified version of FBI with memchunkhax2 patched in. It takes many tries to properly open, but once you it does it has no problems installing legit cias on a standard firmware 10.3. I did, however, end up downgrading using a tutorial on youtube by @DarkFlare69 so I could be on firmware 9.2 and install a CFW. Downgrading was a breeze, and so was installing and using the CFW once you get it all set up. With that you can properly use FBI to install basically anything to your 3ds, at that point you'd want to inject it into your h&s and then from there install it to your emuNAND home screen. Or you could be lazy like me and just keep it injected in your h&s app. It also seems like some things like to only install properly if they are installed from it injected into the h&s app instead of just running from an installed cia from the home menu. Don't know why, I've only had one thing do that, which was an mset downgrade.
I've also tested the sockfile to install over the network. It seems to get to about 600mb before completely giving up. Particularly large games don't seem to like to work, and takes much longer than installing from a cia on the SD. So if you have to room to do so, install directly from the SD if you can. It isn't worth the extra time when you can just go and delete the cia right after installing.

111112oo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting error; DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMMAND on rxtools cfw sysnand, launching from homebrew launcher to install fbi and hbl to the main menu on o3ds.
Please help! getting sad over my crushed success hopes lol

Last edited by 111112oo,

Greyhoundsniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used the modified version of FBI with memchunkhax2 patched in. It takes many tries to properly open, but once you it does it has no problems installing legit cias on a standard firmware 10.3. I did, however, end up downgrading using a tutorial on youtube by @DarkFlare69 so I could be on firmware 9.2 and install a CFW. Downgrading was a breeze, and so was installing and using the CFW once you get it all set up. With that you can properly use FBI to install basically anything to your 3ds, at that point you'd want to inject it into your h&s and then from there install it to your emuNAND home screen. Or you could be lazy like me and just keep it injected in your h&s app. It also seems like some things like to only install properly if they are installed from it injected into the h&s app instead of just running from an installed cia from the home menu. Don't know why, I've only had one thing do that, which was an mset downgrade.
I've also tested the sockfile to install over the network. It seems to get to about 600mb before completely giving up. Particularly large games don't seem to like to work, and takes much longer than installing from a cia on the SD. So if you have to room to do so, install directly from the SD if you can. It isn't worth the extra time when you can just go and delete the cia right after installing.

Have you tried to update back to 10.3 because there are cia files that have 10.3 update and I need to know if the cia's you installed still work on 10.3 before you update from 9.2

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried to update back to 10.3 because there are cia files that have 10.3 update and I need to know if the cia's you installed still work on 10.3 before you update from 9.2
10.3 emuNAND or 10.3 sysNAND? If you downgrade to 9.2 you are probably doing so to install a CFW, at which point you mainly start focusing on the emuNAND. I've updated to 10.3 emuNAND without any problem installing csi files, but my sysNAND remains 9.2. It's a bit strange and hard to understand until you read up on it and do it yourself. I just sort of figured it out from doing it.
So tl;dr the purpose of downgrading is to install a CFW, which once you do that you don't need to worry about updating the sysNAND, and any updated emuNAND will support it still.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

10.3 emuNAND or 10.3 sysNAND? If you downgrade to 9.2 you are probably doing so to install a CFW, at which point you mainly start focusing on the emuNAND. I've updated to 10.3 emuNAND without any problem installing csi files, but my sysNAND remains 9.2. It's a bit strange and hard to understand until you read up on it and do it yourself. I just sort of figured it out from doing it.
So tl;dr the purpose of downgrading is to install a CFW, which once you do that you don't need to worry about updating the sysNAND, and any updated emuNAND will support it still.

If you don't install a custom firmware, you can still use it to install a legit cia which will properly carry over to 10.3 even without installing a CFW. The reason is because a legit cia is a game that came preinstalled with the system upon purchase, which means it is a generic signature that works with every 3ds. Because of the way it works, it allows it to even show up legit in the eShop, and allows you to even update it from the eShop when updates are available for that software

If you want to install things other than the legit cia's (which is a very limited list), you would need some way to run unsigned code, meaning CFW or GW.

So yes you can install a LEGIT cia and have it stay on, but any other cia won't really be usable, because without CFW it won't be able to run. It will show as an icon on the home menu and will show an error if you try to run it.
Hope this helps.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Getting error; DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMMAND on rxtools cfw sysnand, launching from homebrew launcher to install fbi and hbl to the main menu on o3ds.
Please help! getting sad over my crushed success hopes lol
Installing from HBL doesn't like to work very well with rxmode sysNAND. I'd recommend injecting FBI into the Health and Safety app using rxTools (hold L while rxTools is loading, same menu for accessing rxMode sysNAND, making sure to allow it to save the backup). From there you can install FBI to the home menu, and then use the same tool as before to replace the Health and Safety app back to it's default. Once you use rxTools in both emuNAND and rxMode sysNAND you can basically forget about trying to use HBL version of FBI, it doesn't work well if at all from my testing.

D

Deleted User

OP
Hi. Is it necessarry to Install BigBlueMenu.cia so I don't need to Boot into Homebrew everytime?

111112oo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Installing from HBL doesn't like to work very well with rxmode sysNAND. I'd recommend injecting FBI into the Health and Safety app using rxTools (hold L while rxTools is loading, same menu for accessing rxMode sysNAND, making sure to allow it to save the backup). From there you can install FBI to the home menu, and then use the same tool as before to replace the Health and Safety app back to it's default. Once you use rxTools in both emuNAND and rxMode sysNAND you can basically forget about trying to use HBL version of FBI, it doesn't work well if at all from my testing.

I need some more explanation here kinda confused. Do you mean the R button? does L do something else, it didn't do anything? I see the install fbi options normally but i get an error: Process Failed. I probably need files, where can I download these and install these?
Should I install these on sysnand I'm scared and confused. I want to set up easy entry-points first or should I defiently install emunand first? So much conflicting info.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some more explanation here kinda confused. Do you mean the R button? does L do something else, it didn't do anything? I see the install fbi options normally but i get an error: Process Failed. I probably need files, where can I download these and install these?
Should I install these on sysnand I'm scared and confused. I want to set up easy entry-points first or should I defiently install emunand first? So much conflicting info.
Basically, which the FAQ states, if you are running in emuNAND you can't run the 3dsx version to install anything.
Also, if you need to hold R to access the rxTools menu, that means you are on an older version and I would recommend updating rxTools anyway, from this guide under "How to Update to a Newer rxTools Version" https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
The download link will be broken, but you can download it from this link: http://rxtools.net/php/downloads.php?dl=rxTools v2.6

If you just want to inject FBI without updating, then you can continue from here, but you still need to download the package listed above
Go to the rxTools menu, go to Advanced, then Install FBI. choose either sysNAND or emuNAND, whichever you want to install FBI to. After that, hit B to "check TMD only". You should see something like this on your screen:
"Completed!
Region: USA
Version of TMD: 2051"

Go onto your computer, and open the zip file you downloaded. Open rxTools v2.6, then fbi_injection. Open the folder that lists the region rxTools just told you, for me would be "usa", then the version number, for me would be "v2051". Copy the two files in that folder onto the root of the SD card, then run the fbi injection again, selecting either emuNAND or sysNAND, whichever you want to use. This time it will complete without error. If asked to save a backup, accept it. From there you can go into the NAND you installed it to, and open the Health and Safety app. Then you can use that version of FBI to install FBI.cia to the home screen. Then you can go back into rxTools menu and select Uninstall FBI to restore the original Health and Safety app, if you so choose.

111112oo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Basically, which the FAQ states, if you are running in emuNAND you can't run the 3dsx version to install anything.
Also, if you need to hold R to access the rxTools menu, that means you are on an older version and I would recommend updating rxTools anyway, from this guide under "How to Update to a Newer rxTools Version" https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
The download link will be broken, but you can download it from this link: http://rxtools.net/php/downloads.php?dl=rxTools v2.6

If you just want to inject FBI without updating, then you can continue from here, but you still need to download the package listed above
Go to the rxTools menu, go to Advanced, then Install FBI. choose either sysNAND or emuNAND, whichever you want to install FBI to. After that, hit B to "check TMD only". You should see something like this on your screen:
"Completed!
Region: USA
Version of TMD: 2051"

Go onto your computer, and open the zip file you downloaded. Open rxTools v2.6, then fbi_injection. Open the folder that lists the region rxTools just told you, for me would be "usa", then the version number, for me would be "v2051". Copy the two files in that folder onto the root of the SD card, then run the fbi injection again, selecting either emuNAND or sysNAND, whichever you want to use. This time it will complete without error. If asked to save a backup, accept it. From there you can go into the NAND you installed it to, and open the Health and Safety app. Then you can use that version of FBI to install FBI.cia to the home screen. Then you can go back into rxTools menu and select Uninstall FBI to restore the original Health and Safety app, if you so choose.
You are mentioning 2.6 though? I am running on a 3.0 alpha, not the nigthlies build because i haven't figure out how to update to that yet. I cannot hit B because it gives me an error immediately upon trying to install FBI through the advanced options tab. I have no idea what files you are mentioning through that link. I have no emunand set up right now as i am setting up convenient entrypoints and files before i set up one.

EDIT: I should upgrade to nigtlies or downgrade to 2.6? says not recommended for daily use so should i be using 2.6 or does nightlies show more promise? I found where the fbi injection files are but I wish to install nightlies first, everything i have seen on how to upgrade to it confuses me. Should i revert to 2.6 then do it or base it off 3.0 a0?? drowning in confusion here.

EDIT: how do i find what vnumber i have for the fbi injection??

Last edited by 111112oo,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are mentioning 2.6 though? I am running on a 3.0 alpha, not the nigthlies build because i haven't figure out how to update to that yet. I cannot hit B because it gives me an error immediately upon trying to install FBI through the advanced options tab. I have no idea what files you are mentioning through that link. I have no emunand set up right now as i am setting up convenient entrypoints and files before i set up one.

EDIT: I should upgrade to nigtlies?? I found where the fbi injection files are but I wish to install nightlies first, everything i have seen on how to upgrade to it confuses me. Should i revert to 2.6 then do it or base it off 3.0 a0?? drowning in confusion here.

EDIT: how do i find what vnumber i have for the fbi injection??

emuNAND should come first before even attempting to do anything. In fact creating an emuNAND usually comes before installing the cfw. If you don't have an emuNAND you really didn't know what you were doing when you were trying to install rxTools custom firmware (I didn't either, but I followed a guide here on gbatemp to help me through the process). It's much safer to work in emuNAND for most of what you do in a CFW, as you can much more easily fix the emuNAND than you can sysNAND if something goes wrong.

That being said, what does the error say. No one can really help you unless you give what the errors says.

111112oo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
emuNAND should come first before even attempting to do anything. In fact creating an emuNAND usually comes before installing the cfw. If you don't have an emuNAND you really didn't know what you were doing when you were trying to install rxTools custom firmware (I didn't either, but I followed a guide here on gbatemp to help me through the process). It's much safer to work in emuNAND for most of what you do in a CFW, as you can much more easily fix the emuNAND than you can sysNAND if something goes wrong.

That being said, what does the error say. No one can really help you unless you give what the errors says.
It says: Opening secureinfo_a... Error. Trying with secureinfo_B. Errror, Process failed
I assume I defiantly need to install the fbi files included in the rxtools download, but I do not know what version to pick. EUR>but what number?
I watched TCPixel's video on installing rxtools.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says: Opening secureinfo_a... Error. Trying with secureinfo_B. Errror, Process failed
I assume I defiantly need to install the fbi files included in the rxtools download, but I do not know what version to pick. EUR>but what number?
I watched TCPixel's video on installing rxtools.

If you are getting that error and not anything else, chances are either that version you are using doesn't work properly (hence beta) or somewhere along the way of you setting it up it didn't work right. I highly recommend at this point to just scratch it and start from the beginning, using this guide to help you properly install rxTools (if o3ds, may also help for n3ds), including emuNAND, and with no need for any flash card (all entry points are either a hax entry point or a 9.2 browser exploit).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
The error for simply missing the file would be completely different from what you got. That type of error means you don't have sufficient permissions. Just out of curiousty, what 3ds model and firmware are you using, and what entry point are you using to access rxTools?

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

111112oo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are getting that error and not anything else, chances are either that version you are using doesn't work properly (hence beta) or somewhere along the way of you setting it up it didn't work right. I highly recommend at this point to just scratch it and start from the beginning, using this guide to help you properly install rxTools (if o3ds, may also help for n3ds), including emuNAND, and with no need for any flash card (all entry points are either a hax entry point or a 9.2 browser exploit).
The error for simply missing the file would be completely different from what you got. That type of error means you don't have sufficient permissions. Just out of curiousty, what 3ds model and firmware are you using, and what entry point are you using to access rxTools?
No no! Could I please know what number i pick for putting the fbi installer files on the sd card first, just to check that way.
I have a 9.2 old3ds, sliderhax(webhax) then themehax installed for acessing homebrew launcher, rxtools 3.0 alpha is loaded from the rxtools launch website.
If i should be on 2.6 or nightly please say so.

Last edited by 111112oo,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no! Could I please know what number i pick for putting the fbi installer files on the sd card first, just to check that way.
I have a 9.2 old3ds, sliderhax(webhax) then themehax installed for acessing homebrew launcher, rxtools 3.0 alpha is loaded from the rxtools launch website.

Download the zip file I linked in an eariler post, even if it is v2.6 of rxTools it will still be the same files where we are going to look. Open that, and go into the "rxTools v2.6" folder, then into "fbi_injection". Select the region your 3ds is (indicated by the letter at the end of your firmware shown in the system settings, U for usa, E for eur, etc. For me I would open "usa" as I have a us region 3ds and firmware, your's might be different but will be the same next steps once you are in the correct region folder. open the folder with the highest number first, for me it would be "v2051", but yours may vary if you are a different region. Copy the two files within that folder, "fbi_inject.app" and "fbi_inject.tmd", onto the root of the sd card. Try the fbi injection again. If that doesn't work, try taking the files from next folder, and then the next until you get one that works. If it doesn't work, that still means either your version of rxTools is broken (which is possible because you are using a beta version), or you did something wrong when setting it up, which I'm still believing involves having insufficient privileges based on that error. If what I said doesn't work, try completely starting from scratch and installing rxTools based on the guide I linked to, because that is the full and proper way to set it up, including setting up an emuNAND. running a CFW without emuNAND is weird, and from what I know a lot of the features of rxTools are bound to emuNAND, which would prohibit you from doing things like injecting FBI into h&s unless you have an emuNAND.

Stevo_l33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for this but I've used the search function and Google but can't find my answer. I'm on Reinand 3.0 cfw 10.3 emunand. I've been installing Apps and games perfectly fine with FBI but patches and DLC won't take, get error. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance. It's for mii plaza btw.
Edit: never mind, got it!

Last edited by Stevo_l33,

joebob223

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep getting this error

Source: SOURCE_AM_FINISH_CIA_INSTALL (0xc)
Module: MODULE_NN_FS (0x11)
Level: LEVEL_STATUS (0x19)
Summary: SUMMARY_NOT_FOUND (0x4)
Description: DESCRIPTION_TITLE_NOT_FOUND (0x78)

I tried replacing databases, and also reinstalled fbi, but still get this error. I am unable to find any other threads with this error also. Pls help

Sylargaf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a odd problem maybe you bros can help;

I followed a guide on GBA Temp to make my NNID work again on my EMUNAND and it worked...except it deleted ALL of my cias installed. When I try to go back into FBI to install them I get a DESCRIPTION_INVALID_SIGNATURE error.

System Settings says im on the Reinand 10.3 so i'm just totally lost. Any clue?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.