Gaming [Release] DSi Language Patcher

rcodi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @YotiReal and @Mighty Max for your work, there are so many affordable DSi on secondhand sites that make these projects so important for repurposing them. It's nice to be able to use just HiyaCFW and a flash cart for the simplest setup instead of going Twilight and having the underlying system being a different region.

Last edited by rcodi,

MrLeche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an old DSi on TM++ and will try, and I have a fresh Virgin DSI LL, I'd like to give it a go and post what happens

UPDATE 1:

DSi results:
- first Try. Used. Patcher.nds. Nothing changed, after ALL DONE, I turned it off, after turn on, its still in jap.

DSi LL:
- haven't touched it. Still a virgin non-CFW.

Will post updates

UPDATE 2:

DSi, used DSILanguagePatcher.nds, after upup downdown thing, says ok, pressed start. Still Jap. I selected North America BTW...

Any tips?

3RD Try:

- Chosen Australia, Still nothing after reboot. I mean its still japanese.

UPDATES 3:

Proceeded with my Virgin DSi LL. Success It's now Effin' American! LOL. Anyway I need to figure out my old DSi why it doesn't wanna change. Trying to find it's NAND.

Last edited by MrLeche,
Reactions: banjo2

MrLeche

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I finally made it work after reviginizing my DSi, unintalled unlaunch and then format system memory.

But then after exploiting pit.bin, config TM++, and then finally install unlaunch, I got two files of the same name, I got two camera app, two sound app, twon settgins wrench etc. etc.

How do I remove dups? TIA

Reactions: Prince Valmont

Archfiend

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Mighty Max, is there a reason you need to press a button every time the screen needs to transition?

I get a black screen unless I press A or something.

Wardenmorg

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
UPDATE AVAILABLE at bottom of this post

[Release] DSi Language Patcher
A JPN DSi to EUR languages patcher.
==============================

The Language Patcher is a small tool for running on a DSi, which takes the
original App-Launcher and patches it to display european languages. It also
passes this information to apps started, so that - if possible - they show the
same language.

I have written this little patcher because I bought my son and his friends
four DSis cheap from JPN. It doesn't matter in unlaunch, but if one of the kids
removed the SD card, the non japanese and non-tech parents were unable to
understand and fix the problem.

WARNING:
--------
Use on your own risk.
This tool does some changes to the NAND. This will olways come with a risk to brick
your DSi. I tried my best to keep that risk as low as possible by doing the
actual work in RAM and only accessing the nand for write operations when everything
else went good.

However in the worst of cases, your nand will not be valid anymore ynd you will
need a hardmod. so BACKUP YOUR NAND and have the option to HARDMOD READY to go.

Prerequisites:
--------------

* A japanese DSi
* Have unlaunch installed
* Plug in the DSi into the charger
* SD Card
* Have your NAND backed up, in case anything goes wrong.

Process:
--------
1. Put the attached "Patcher.nds" onto your SD Card and insert it into the DSi.
2. Start Patcher.nds from unlaunch
3. Check that there are no errors displyed. If you have errors Patcher.nds will
not continue
4. If Patcher.nds instructs you to plug in the power cord. do so. But you should
already had it as of the prerequisite. The Pacher will not continue unless
you have it plugged in
5. The Patcher will wait for you to press [A] for the actual write operation.
You can power off your DSi at any time before pressing [A] but you need to
letit run through once you did press [A]
!CAUTION!
Be sure that everything worked smooth till here. There is always the
possibility that for some unforeseen reason (arbitrary power failure,
pink elephants ...) there is an error. So be sure you have a nand backup and
could hardmod to recover.
!CAUTION!
6. The write operation is designed to ba as short as possible. You should have
an ALL DONE message.
7. Turn off the DSi
8. Enter unlaunch ([A]+[ B]+ Power on) and select "nand:/launcher.dsi" as app to
start on load error. Save the options.
9. Launche "nand:/launcher.dsi" You will notice that the screen is already english.
10. Start System Settings from the launcher and change your language/country
11. You are all set

FAQ:
----
Q: I heard unlaunch will unable to be installed/uninstalled if the FAT was changed
by homebrew. Will I have problems?
A: all will be fine. Unlaunch checks the internal copies of the file allocation
tables and will stop on missmatch here. While libfat will only work on the first
table, the patcher will use the others as staging, updating them after all other
things went right.

Q: When I start the original japanese launcher, my settings are all reset. Is this
normal?
A: Yes, the japanese launcher will do a sanity check on various configuration
settings, like the touch calibration or the language. If it detects the language
setting outside of the japanese region, it will assume the settings are corrupt
and asks you to redo them. The pathed up launcher wil ignore the language, but
keeps verifying the other fields.

Q: Some applications are still japanese.
A: While the launcher reports the started apps the new language, it does not
change the actual reagion the DSi is programmed to. The files are kept
unchanged and any ap reading those will use the japanese region settings.
Also: the installed version of your app might be japanese only.

PS: Do not contact me about piracy. The sole purpose of this tool is to increase
the accessibility to my (JPN) DSi for my kids and their friends. You can use it now
too.
Please respect the work of developers. They need to earn money as we all do.

:edit: Formatting

UPDATE:
I have attached a new version.

Changes:
  • added another method to read out the ConsoleID
  • source Launcher Regions are now allowed to be JPN, US, EUR and AUS
  • target Launcher Regions can now be selected
  • added a basic UI (progress bars, more prominent info on power plug in, etc ...)
  • added clearer indication of success and error with reboot on keypress

Sir everytime i turn on the dsi it will on unlaunch , can i setting the dsi like normally to system launcher
Sorry for my bad english

manni332

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I uninstall unlaunch after installing this? I really don't care for it all, espeically with the removal of menu music and black screens without button inputs ect.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Can I uninstall unlaunch after installing this? I really don't care for it all, espeically with the removal of menu music and black screens without button inputs ect.
You can't, it doesn't replace the default launcher so uninstalling Unlaunch would revert the region change. And even if it did replace the default launcher then chances are uninstalling Unlaunch would brick it.

You can get the menu music and splash screen back by reinstalling Unlaunch with "Launcher Patches" set to "Off" in TWiLight Menu++ settings though.

Reactions: banjo2 and manni332

httpwemel

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'm not sure if someone already pointed this out but if you do a system update after setting your language and country, it will download the built in apps for the region you patched. Example: Patching your Launcher Region to US and doing a system update will let you download the US versions of the built in apps.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I'm not sure if someone already pointed this out but if you do a system update after setting your language and country, it will download the built in apps for the region you patched. Example: Patching your Launcher Region to US and doing a system update will let you download the US versions of the built in apps.
oh nice, good to know

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I was hesitant to patch my DSi LL at first but this made me do it.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
But then after exploiting pit.bin, config TM++, and then finally install unlaunch, I got two files of the same name, I got two camera app, two sound app, twon settgins wrench etc. etc.

How do I remove dups? TIA
Got the same duplication issue as you. Did you ever manage to solve it?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Got the same duplication issue as you. Did you ever manage to solve it?
If you reinstall Unlaunch with "Launcher Patches" disabled in TWiLight Menu++ settings (see this guide) they may be hidden since the region locking will be back, at least assuming you don't already have that. (I haven't tested, but I don't think system apps are exempt from region locking so it should work)

It would be an extremely bad idea to remove any of those apps, especially the Camera, as that would mean that if Unlaunch was ever removed for whatever reason the DSi would be left unmoddable, since you need the Camera (from the original region, because region locking) to run Memory Pit.

Alternatively you could also just move them all way over to the right side and you don't need to see them.

00pflaume

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hiyalang
HiyaCFW Launcher language patcher for Windows

Features:
  • Fixed file name check
  • Auto backup creation
  • CHN/JPN/KORtoEUR patch
Known bugs:
  • Camera app not working - reinstall HiyaCFW
Thanks to:
I released a modified version which allows you to change hiyacfw region to Europe on an American system. American systems don't support German for example. As I am currently unable to post links as the account was just created you have to follow my instructions to download it.
Edit: YotiReal commented the link right under this thread entry. Just follow that link.

Follow the github link form @YotiReal post. Then go to "Pull requests", then to "Patch American DSi" and then on "Simonsator:main". On the right you are going to find a release called "Added support for American DSi System..."

Last edited by 00pflaume,
Reactions: Chuardo and banjo2

andot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Mighty Max, is there a reason you need to press a button every time the screen needs to transition?

I get a black screen unless I press A or something.
I have the same problem, but when I reinstall Unlaunch with "Launcher Patches" set to "Off" in TWiLight Menu++ settings though, the menu music and splash screen get back.

Last edited by andot,
Reactions: Pin1988

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys!
My main goal with this tool was to get a DSi LL as close to a stock DSi XL as possible :-)
Meaning: German/English DSi Menu and System Settings and no region lock.

I couldn't quite achieve this though. The process finishes without any hiccups but when I try to launch the newly generated launcher.dsi through unlaunch it just freezes. Through trial and error I found out it doesn't freeze when I deactivate unlaunch launcher patches in Twilight Menu settings and reinstall unlaunch. Then it suddenly can launch the same launcher.dsi. so apparently unlaunch fails to apply it's patches to the translated launcher (at least that's my interpretation).
As far as I understand the region lock is now still on through the translated launcher and I'm not able to launch DSi enhanced or exclusive games from Europe. Unfortunately I don't have any available (yet) to check. Btw, unlaunch CAN launch the original launcher with patches activated.

Secondly I can confirm that doing a system update through the translated launcher installs core apps in selected language, but they're additionally installed, so I also have two of each now. Wouldn't really mind that that much though :-)

EDIT: Any ideas how to get the translated launcher bootable with patches enabled? I'm a bit buffled that for everyone else it seems to work both ways...

Last edited by Pin1988,

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have the same problem, but when I reinstall Unlaunch with "Launcher Patches" set to "Off" in TWiLight Menu++ settings though, the menu music and splash screen get back.
I'm pretty sure your region lock is active now as well though :-/ afaik there's no way to have the stock launcher with music and intro screen but without region lock :-(

Pin1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've just gone back to stock via my NAND backup. Then did a factory reset. Then reinstalled unlaunch through memory pit (dsi cfw guide) and ran the language patcher again. No difference, it still starts fine with unlaunch launcher patches off, but freezes with them on... I'm starting to run out of things to try :-(

sumimachine

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
mine just turns black when i run the "nand:/launcher.dsi" i mainly used 1st patcher.nds and then tried DSiLanguagePatcher v2.0rc3 still no luck it is still in black screen.
I also noticed that nds bootsrap gbarunner2 got duplicated

• Sad
Reactions: Pin1988

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol